Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So what's going to happen to the 'V'

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
When we changed formation mid year from 4-4-1-1 to the infamous 'V', I got the impression that it wasn't a CH 'let's go for it' change, but one that had been planned and agreed across the whole footballing side of the club for some time.

I saw Leroy Rosenior in an interview talking about the 'V' and wondered if the signings of Ali G and Locadia were both with the intention of playing the one traditional winger, and one wide attacker which we seemed to adopt following the change. I understand that this was also the way the U23's were being lined up and trained and Andone could also be that more mobile striker seemingly needed for this change.

I have to say I thought it started well, with us looking more dangerous going forward and Propper seeming to enjoy his more attacking role. It did tend to leave the full back covering the wide attacker more exposed and with only 1 holding midfielder, we started to look dodgy when teams broke against us. However, we did introduce it at the beginning of a long run of hard matches and Gross didn't seem as effective in the new set up.

But as that run started to take it's toll, you could see the confidence draining and the longer the run went on the worse it got, with players who we know are better, seemingly losing all form. Eventually, (and it appears hopefully, just in time) we reverted to 4-4-1-1 at Wolves and then had a run of 3 matches where you could see the confidence gradually coming back (well, for 2.5 of those games !).

So, I believe the issue is going to be whether re-introduce the 'V' this summer to make ourselves more attacking going forward, or do we spend all our dosh looking for the Murray replacement in a 4-4-1-1.

What would you prefer and what do you think will happen ?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I hope we give it the V

We're better 4-4-1-1. Gross needs to be up the pitch to be effective and our forward, as we saw Saturday, and we need more than one in the box to get a goal from a cross, as we saw Saturday.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Excuse the ignorance - but what is this 'V'? Some variation of 4-3-3 or what?
(Genuine question - it's the first time I've seen it mentioned).

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The v is the suggestion that propper and gross have been playing in front of stephens and the wingers in front of them to form a v shape in the midfield. Not really how it's worked in practice though

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Excuse the ignorance - but what is this 'V'? Some variation of 4-3-3 or what?
(Genuine question - it's the first time I've seen it mentioned).

B112B6F8-5C53-4012-8C0F-9E1DC21B9721.jpeg

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It's an impossible question for us to answer. We're a better team playing dour football in a 4411 when we sit so deep and don't press teams. But it's utterly painful to watch and I'd prefer we had a bit more courage and balance.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
In reality we've been playing a shallower V than that . . .with a lone midfielder (nee striker) on the edge of the centre circle, in our own half

More of a 4-2-1-2-1 or a 6-1-2-1.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Another issue with that V was that it made Gross (arguably our player of the season before) completely redundant. Might as well sell him if we want to do that formation.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I think it totally depends on what players the club are planning on bringing in. Clearly the current squad are much better suited to a 4-4-1-1, IMO.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Veely good.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What happened to the much vaunted “pressing” we were going to do this season?

Still waiting to see it

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I think it totally depends on what players the club are planning on bringing in. Clearly the current squad are much better suited to a 4-4-1-1, IMO.

I think this has been part of the problem this season we have a split, some player are more suited to 4-4-1-1 others 4-3-3 with neither really functioning properly .

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Our 4411 which is really 4231 works so so much better both in general and especially given the speed of our 1 and 1. Most of our goals are concede on the break so we need two holding midfielders. Plus 4231 allows the full backs to get forward so is also more attacking. It depends on two wingers who can beat a man but also defend which we have in March AK and Jose (of last season when fit). There is no room for Locadia or Ali J in that formation though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here