Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Songs seemingly at odds with the rest of the artists output.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

It's not often I dip in toe into the turgid cesspit of banality that is music on NSC. :lol: :kiss:

But the other day I got earwormed by 6 Music, not only with the track, but the follow up comment along of the lines of the thread title.

So let's have some more 'blimey charlie I wasn't expecting that, from them'. gramophone records.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

Metallica surprised a lot of people not just with their short hair cuts but with almost country rock track Mama Said from the seriously underated Load album back in 1986.

A far less welcome surprise years later was the WHOLE of the St Anger album which had no guitar solos, a tin can for a snare drum and was an unholy mess.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Most radical departures from established artists are best avoided... like Wishbone Ash delving into hard house, looking and sounding like washed up teachers trying to be ‘right on’ on the last day of the summer term back in the heady daze of ‘99. File under embarrassing and just plain shite.

It’s all a bit Andone on the wing, sure it’s interesting, but in reality uncomfortable and often massively disappointing. Indeed if you were really honest, pretty rubbish.

The better radical ‘departure’ is a musical genius who just decides to leave it all behind... become a plasterer, or a combine driver, or a grave digger or something.

Now that is pushing the envelope.

I’d probably pay to sit in a field and watch Thom Yorke bringing in the harvest.

Lord of the ages indeed.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I might be alone here but I haven’t even heard of the majority of bands you post clips of :ohmy:

AATT have been going for 40 years, released a dozen albums, and still play (occasionally) in the UK. I have seen them live in the UK 7 or 8 times in the last 15 years. OK they are not widely known . . . .check 'em out - they are utterly mesmerizing. Here is a manstream track of theirs from the early years. These days they are more brooding (if that's possible). Metropolis records (where I once got most of my CDs) bills them as 'gloomy English band' :lolol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0dCFc1LS4M

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

It's not often I dip in toe into the turgid cesspit of banality that is music on NSC. :lol: :kiss:

But the other day I got earwormed by 6 Music, not only with the track, but the follow up comment along of the lines of the thread title.

So let's have some more 'blimey charlie I wasn't expecting that, from them'. gramophone records.

I think that 6Music have it wrong. Lou Reed has always written good pop songs among the arty stuff. Take off the production that was obviously intended to try and make the charts and its not much different from the Velvet Underground's 'Rock'n'Roll' or 'Temptation (inside of your heart)' or from 'Hangin' Round' from Transformer, or from the second half of 'Dirty Boulevard' from New York, or from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqEoTN4BGPQ

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here