Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Saturday - bad vibes in the family area

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Or discreet, even

Don't diss a man who may have been busy listening to bands that don't exist yet. Distance....a blind eye...perspective....common sense.

Actually, sod that. :lolol:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Except breaking the terms and conditions of the ticket purchase.

Nah, these guys just unfortunate to run into a right tosser and that’s all there is to it. We’ve all seen or meet them. Angry at everyone and spoiling for a fight. Typically slag all our players off and argue it’s ok to knock someone out on basis they shouldn’t been there. And all because some misplaced sense of tribal loyalty

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
That 3-3 at Birmingham was some game. Getting pelted with stuff from the upper tier less fun but hey ho.

It was a great game. We were actually 2 0 down then went 3 2 up before conceding a late equalizer. They needed the point for promotion so that equalizer may have saved our skins. It was also the game where Karen Brady tried to prevent us from having any tickets.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
So do you reckon it would of been ok to do the same thing at Newcastle ? and would the fans sussing out the Brighton offered them tea and cake at half time ?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Nah, these guys just unfortunate to run into a right tosser and that’s all there is to it. We’ve all seen or meet them. Angry at everyone and spoiling for a fight. Typically slag all our players off and argue it’s ok to knock someone out on basis they shouldn’t been there. And all because some misplaced sense of tribal loyalty

No-one in this thread is defending the obnoxious Albion fans.

But the fact remains, the incident wouldn’t have happened if away fans didn’t sneak into the home end.

And if you think it’s alright, imagine if we need a win on the final day and City fans are scattered around the Amex. It would be carnage.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hi all - first time poster here

I traveled over from Worthing for the match on Saturday with a group of friends/family. There were 11 of us in total. We try to get together for the Brighton-Newcastle match each year. Something that started when both teams were in the Championship. Our group was mainly Brighton fans, 3 x Newcastle fans (including myself) plus a couple of neutrals. As a large group with 4 kids, we booked group tickets in the family section (E1H)

It started out as a great day - sun was shining and there was a brilliant atmosphere in and around the ground after the Cardiff result.

Unfortunately, things took a bit of a nasty turn. I don't know what the trigger was - the few Newcastle fans in our group were certainly not vocal. However, a guy in a neighbouring seat overheard a discussion and twigged that a few of our group were Newcastle supporters. From that point on he completely lost it. Started shouting that we were "not eff'ing welcome", should not be there and should get out. We tried to explain that we were just a group of friends there to watch the match together with our kids, but he wouldn't let it go. He continued through the rest of the first half shouting that he had paid good money for his seats and we had "completely ruined his day out"

During half-time it seems there was some plotting because as the game resumed, he had swapped seats with another guy. They seemed to be together - I think they were related - not sure. Anyway this guy had been brought in to emphasise exactly how unwelcome we were. He spent the 2nd half screaming anti-Newcastle chants in our ears. "Go on Brighton, kill them !" that kind of thing. We managed to ignore most of it - but it became a pretty unpleasant atmosphere

It was my daughter's first time at a match, and she really enjoyed it initially. But having having felt the animosity and hearing the abuse hurled by this guy for the whole of the 2nd half, she's really not keen to return. I have to say everyone else we met on the day was great - but our encounter with this guy and his mates / family really soured the experience.

The point of my post is to see if this guy was right ? I always think of the family section as more of a laid-back area - where it would be OK for a mixed group of fans to watch the match together. I could understand such a reaction in one of the other stands - especially at this stage of the season with tensions mounting. But in the family stand with kids … it seemed a bit of an OTT reaction ? But perhaps I'm wrong ? Would be interested to hear other views

PS - really pleased for Brighton. The draw was a fair result after the 2nd half-revival and (fingers-crossed) that point will see the club safe in the PL.

Not gone through the whole thread chap, but this bloke you got lumbered with sounds like an utter piece of filth, and I'm sorry you and your party had to put up with someone like that. We have no "beef" with Newcastle, and quite honestly if I found myself sat next to a fan of the opposition, whoever we were playing, then as long as he's not being a dick, I'd actually welcome the opportunity to have a chat about our respective teams and maybe learn something along the way. Its only bloody football after all.

You've got to be a real sad act to give grief to an oppo fan in the home end. I work with a Watford fan, and have arranged a ticket for him in the WSU whenever we play, and he does the same for me (and a couple of mates) when we play at VR. We don't wear colours, we are respectful, but we make no secret of being BHA - and whaddya know, the folk around us are absolutely fine with it and we have a good old chat during the game. Frankly, its absolutely PATHETIC that a grown man should show physical animosity towards someone else because of the team they support.

Its embarrasing. I really hope your daughter hasn't been completely put off by the experience. That is NOT the norm, it sounds like you were just terribly unlucky to be seated with an absolute cockjuggling thundercunt.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Literally no sympathy for the OP at all. Bringing away fans into the home end, regardless of whether it is the family stand or not, is a thoroughly daft thing to do - especially given the context of the match and how important it was.

Really ?

This notion of being mortally offended by being sat next to a supporter of the away team is utterly weird to me. What would happen if you met an "opposition fan" around a swimming pool in Mallorca ? In my experience you get along fine. But put them next to you in a stadium, and apparently you have to be ENEMIES.

Ridiculous.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It has probably been repeated already on this thread, but the same thing happened in the WSU in block H. A couple of Newcastle fans were asked to move.

They hadn't celebrated the goal or anything like that, so it was really unnecessary.

However, the guy had rather foolishly worn a Newcastle top under is jumper which was painfully obvious. If he hadn't had that on, nobody would have been any the wiser.

I think the reason it riles people is because in this country, for some reason, we like to feel we are totally surrounded by everyone in our tribe and that everyone is rooting for our team. It's all rather emotional, but totally understandable. Football is about escapism, being part of a crowd and a team. If someone is not in the team, then you don't want them there. I get it.

If we want mixed areas, then create them - like Fulham have. I have no problem with that either.

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
It has probably been repeated already on this thread, but the same thing happened in the WSU in block H. A couple of Newcastle fans were asked to move.

They hadn't celebrated the goal or anything like that, so it was really unnecessary.

However, the guy had rather foolishly worn a Newcastle top under is jumper which was painfully obvious. If he hadn't had that on, nobody would have been any the wiser.

I think the reason it riles people is because in this country, for some reason, we like to feel we are totally surrounded by everyone in our tribe and that everyone is rooting for our team. It's all rather emotional, but totally understandable. Football is about escapism, being part of a crowd and a team. If someone is not in the team, then you don't want them there. I get it.

If we want mixed areas, then create them - like Fulham have. I have no problem with that either.

I agree with you on that. I also think that bigger clubs regard Brighton fans as a bit of a 'soft touch' but in reality we are probably more passionate about our club than most. I've seen respectable adults giving total shit to old ladies from Arsenal who were in the hospitality box in the West stand. We won the game and the Brighton guy apologised for his behaviour. The Arsenal ladies accepted his apology and actually said that she couldn't believe how vocal and passionate Brighton fans are.
A low profile is definitely best.
I was at Old Trafford in the 90s to see us play Manchester United in an FA Cup game. No score until 79 mins when Ryan Giggs sticks a free kick in. Right in front of me a fella with two young boys jumped up in the air arms aloft like you do, patting each other on the back - then it started - no fisticuffs, just a huge amount of gob all over their backs.
It was disgusting really but dad should have known better.
Having said that, its not very nice for the Newcastle fans and you would hope that the family area would offer a bit of sanctuary.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Perhaps ill advised to go into the home support but we've all done it. However, what sort of dick wants to make such a big deal out of it when there are kids there? He was so brave that he didn't actually do anything but felt the need to go and get his mate to back him up at half time? Was he worried your daughter was gonna do him? What a couple of absolute melts....

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
From what you've described I don't condone the BHA fans' behaviour - however - openly chatting and making clear reference/inference that you are an away fan in the wrong end for a massively stressful and tense game is always going to be a huge risk, and a slightly daft thing to do.
.....added to which it contravened stadium regulations and safety certificate pre reqs on ticket sales to away fans.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Not gone through the whole thread chap, but this bloke you got lumbered with sounds like an utter piece of filth, and I'm sorry you and your party had to put up with someone like that. We have no "beef" with Newcastle, and quite honestly if I found myself sat next to a fan of the opposition, whoever we were playing, then as long as he's not being a dick, I'd actually welcome the opportunity to have a chat about our respective teams and maybe learn something along the way. Its only bloody football after all.

You've got to be a real sad act to give grief to an oppo fan in the home end. I work with a Watford fan, and have arranged a ticket for him in the WSU whenever we play, and he does the same for me (and a couple of mates) when we play at VR. We don't wear colours, we are respectful, but we make no secret of being BHA - and whaddya know, the folk around us are absolutely fine with it and we have a good old chat during the game. Frankly, its absolutely PATHETIC that a grown man should show physical animosity towards someone else because of the team they support.

Its embarrasing. I really hope your daughter hasn't been completely put off by the experience. That is NOT the norm, it sounds like you were just terribly unlucky to be seated with an absolute cockjuggling thundercunt.

Couldn't have put it better myself... sums my thoughts up on this exactly!

The incident says more about the goons getting all upperty than the OP and the people he was with.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
What a depressing thread. Tell the kids of today that we used to regularly find ourselves alongside pockets of away fans in the Goldstone North Stand back in the sixties - resulting in nothing worse than mutually insulting banter - and they'll never believe you.

Football fans have a lot to learn from those rugby crowds. But, sadly, never will.
In the 70s and 80s however, they would have always been given a good shoeing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Should not have been there your own fault, having said that the bloke sounds a knob. Have sat in home ends at Chelsea and Millwall supporting the away side sensibly no probs, but went in the donnie end first game at the Amex and rightly got lobbed out celebrating the winner. Its all about how sensible you are tbh.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Nope, guy is obviously a complete headcase. You and everyone else in your group did no wrong. Don’t let it put you off next time and just report him to stewards or as is my preferred way of dealing with such oinks, take outside and beat him to a pulp. Just saying like... :)

Going to a steward in a Home section and complaining that the home fans next to you are abusing the team you support... What could possibly go wrong?

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
In that magical moment of a rare Albion goal and our euphoria, what came over you in busy-bodying with complete strangers?

They were very happy to enjoy a bit of bantz when they were winning (and there was no animosity towards them at all). But they weren’t so friendly after we equalised. Plus they were away fans in the home end. Why are you implying I’m the one in the wrong for being threatened?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They were very happy to enjoy a bit of bantz when they were winning (and there was no animosity towards them at all). But they weren’t so friendly after we equalised. Plus they were away fans in the home end. Why are you implying I’m the one in the wrong for being threatened?

Touching them and telling them to stand up for the Albion goal was the catalyst.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This, this and thrice this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Really ?

This notion of being mortally offended by being sat next to a supporter of the away team is utterly weird to me. What would happen if you met an "opposition fan" around a swimming pool in Mallorca ? In my experience you get along fine. But put them next to you in a stadium, and apparently you have to be ENEMIES.

Ridiculous.

....this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here