Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Modern football is a battle of systems (Why Roy Keane was wrong to rant about Utd stars)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think it has an awful lot to do with the application of players. Man U players are not the same energy level of Liverpool, regardless of system.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was about to post this very article, glad someone else has.

A really insightful piece, a pleasure to read in this age of instant opinion and screaming hyperbole.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Fantastic article and very plainly spells out why genuine competitiveness in this league is basically impossible.

One approach to this tactic could be to fight fire with fire and come back next season with the fittest team in the league and simply chase to cause mistakes and then exploit the mistakes?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Fantastic article and very plainly spells out why genuine competitiveness in this league is basically impossible.

One approach to this tactic could be to fight fire with fire and come back next season with the fittest team in the league and simply chase to cause mistakes and then exploit the mistakes?
Mourinho tactics you mean? [emoji23]

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Enjoyed reading that, thank you for posting. Holds up a far more eloquent argument to those who simply say players are "not up for it" or "simply given up" or "cannot be bothered".

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Brilliant article and makes you realise Hughton's attacking tactics are like something out of the ark.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Brilliant article and makes you realise Hughton's attacking tactics are like something out of the ark.
Yeah that's right. Because we have the likes of Aguero, Sane, Salah, Sterling, Mane, Firminho etc etc don't we. FFS!

You really read that article and thought that? Some people are beyond hope.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah that's right. Because we have the likes of Aguero, Sane, Salah, Sterling, Mane, Firminho etc etc don't we. FFS!

You really read that article and thought that? Some people are beyond hope.

What the f*ck are you on about? You don't need players of that quality to play a pressing game, Bielsa does it at Leeds to good effect.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Mourinho tactics you mean? [emoji23]

To a degree I suppose but personally if I were assembling the squad I wouldn’t do it with the lumbering hulk type players he chooses but perhaps something akin to a squad of silent assassins.

Small nippy buggers who can get amongst them but not get knocked off the ball. Basically we need 11 people of the stature and determination of Sergio Aguero - come on Tony, get the cheque book out!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In a league with Rotherham, Bolton and Reading.
Wow. That's definitely comparable.

Are you saying teams can only adopt the high press if they're Champions League QF regulars with a transfer budget of £200 million a season?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Sorry. I'm not reading that. I learnt from the Alex Scott thread that you need to have played at the highest level to be allowed to comment on tactics.

Who does this Ken bloke think he is?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Are you saying teams can only adopt the high press if they're Champions League QF regulars with a transfer budget of £200 million a season?

Consistently, yes. Look at the squad depths of the big six.

If you look back at our performances in the first half of the season, we were pressing all over the pitch and getting results for our efforts. Bruno was quoted as saying last pre-season was the hardest he'd done, in terms of the running and focus on pressing.
But because our squad is rubbish for this level, a couple of injuries and the replacement players can't do that. And those, like Propper and Murray, are tired from doing so every game. Therefore we sit back and soak up pressure. And lose far more.

Leeds are a huge fish in that division. Their squad will be better and fitter than at least 15 other teams in that league and the tactics probably give them a 4-5 place advantage.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Consistently, yes. Look at the squad depths of the big six.

If you look back at our performances in the first half of the season, we were pressing all over the pitch and getting results for our efforts. Bruno was quoted as saying last pre-season was the hardest he'd done, in terms of the running and focus on pressing.
But because our squad is rubbish for this level, a couple of injuries and the replacement players can't do that. And those, like Propper and Murray, are tired from doing so every game. Therefore we sit back and soak up pressure. And lose far more.

Leeds are a huge fish in that division. Their squad will be better and fitter than at least 15 other teams in that league and the tactics probably give them a 4-5 place advantage.

Newcastle pressed us pretty well. On those rare occasions we actually had the ball.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Newcastle pressed us pretty well. On those rare occasions we actually had the ball.

Ha. They did first half. But second half I thought they looked tired and, once Shelvey went off, vulnerable.
Yeah, they have a much better team than us too. But not that much in squad depth. Hence why they didn't do it for 90 minutes I suppose.
If we could have kept up the effort of our first half of the season (and with a few more generous refereeing decisions), we'd have likely finished without about Newcastle's point total.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here