Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] IF VAR had been in place in the PL THIS season...

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
...which key moments in matches involving the Albion would most likely have been affected?

I am no fan of VAR and think, like Japanese Knotweed, it will gradually undermine the foundations of the game and be impossible to get rid of once it has taken hold. I'm not looking forward to goals being ruled out because a toenail is in an 'offside' position for a nano-second, but we are where we are. So had VAR been in place this season, which key moments in matches involving the Albion would most likely have been affected?

Three incidents that immediately spring to mind for me are:

1. Cardiff's winner (away). Miles offside.
2. Our winner (Newcastle away) - should have been a goal kick to Newcastle, not a corner to us.
3. Burnley's pen to make it 1-3 at the Amex. Should have been a pen to us immediately prior to that.

Any others?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
...oh, and I still think Sala dived for the pen at the AMEX.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
...which key moments in matches involving the Albion would most likely have been affected?

I am no fan of VAR and think, like Japanese Knotweed, it will gradually undermine the foundations of the game and be impossible to get rid of once it has taken hold. I'm not looking forward to goals being ruled out because a toenail is in an 'offside' position for a nano-second, but we are where we are. So had VAR been in place this season, which key moments in matches involving the Albion would most likely have been affected?

Three incidents that immediately spring to mind for me are:

1. Cardiff's winner (away). Miles offside.
2. Our winner (Newcastle away) - should have been a goal kick to Newcastle, not a corner to us.
3. Burnley's pen to make it 1-3 at the Amex. Should have been a pen to us immediately prior to that.

Any others?

About 6 blatant penalties to us and maybe 1 or 2 at a stretch to the opposition, one of them yesterday.

Seem to remember Pascal Gross being through on goal against Leicester was it? Clearly onside.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I don’t think they’d take it far as back to check a corner before a goal?

Leicester wouldn’t have got their penalty at the Amex as it was offside. We probably would have got a penalty against Cardiff at home when the score was 0-0.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I don’t think they’d take it far as back to check a corner before a goal?

Well if they aren't going to take it back as far to check a corner before a goal, would they have taken it far back enough to check Burnley's blatant basketball tactics in the box prior to them getting a penalty up the other end in the game at the Amex?

This is why VAR is so frigging useless.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If VAR had been in place, we'd have been safe weeks ago. We've been on the rough end of more than we've been given (as have all the teams outside the big 6)

Still don't want it though. I want to be able to celebrate a goal when we score.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Well if they aren't going to take it back as far to check a corner before a goal, would they have taken it far back enough to check Burnley's blatant basketball tactics in the box prior to them getting a penalty up the other end in the game at the Amex?

Two situations are entirely different. In the Newcastle one you are talking about going back to a previous incident in the build up. They wouldn’t do that.

In the Burnley example the handball by Hendrick isn’t just something that happened in the build up - the handball IS itself the incident being reviewed.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Leicester penalty at home.
Burnley winner at their place, Tarkowski was offside.
Man Utd penalty away, questionable.
Bournemouth H - headbutt

West ham away, ball out of play in build up, not sure that would get reviewed. Not the goal-line, one the one on the touchline.
Huddersfield H - would have got two penalties.

There are probably others but that is a starting point.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
VAR rules

Can someone advise of the what would happen if:

A team plays on and scores a goal after the linesman has flagged, which is then deemed onside and the opponents have given up due to the flag?
Also, if a team scores after the ref has blown, but is proven onside or no foul, is that still deemed dissent as in 'kicking the ball away'.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Zaha would have been offski at the Amex.

Izquierdo penalty vs Palace would not have stood.

I reckon we’ve been on the wrong side of 6 decisions this season that have cost us at least 7 points.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Duffy sent off for headbutting
Walker not sent off for headbutting

Both VAR games or not , which one looked the more violent , i'll give you a clue , Not Duffy's because Ali J didn't throw himself to the floor like the Palace big girls blouse , Walker got away with it , VAR will still be wrong on many occasions as it is still somebodies interpretation of the incident , get ready for 100 minute games .

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
Vertongen elbow on andone.
No penalty against palace at home.
Head butt by walker.
Offside vs Cardiff
Penalties against Cardiff and butnley.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

You're saying it's useless because you don't understand it? It's not that they'd take the Burnley one back to something that's not a red card or penalty decision - we should have had a penalty - that would have been looked at, and the ref notified. We'd then have been given the penalty, regardless of where the ball went in the meantime (well, unless we scored). So the VAR would have made a penalty decision. It doesn't make decisions for goal kicks/corners.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
VAR rules

Can someone advise of the what would happen if:

A team plays on and scores a goal after the linesman has flagged, which is then deemed onside and the opponents have given up due to the flag?
The linesman shouldn't flag, but if he does and the ref doesn't blow his whistle, it should be a goal. You play to the whistle.
Also, if a team scores after the ref has blown, but is proven onside or no foul, is that still deemed dissent as in 'kicking the ball away'.
Depends how long after the whistle they strike the ball, and whether the ref thought it worthy of a yellow card. That would all happen before VAR got involved. There'd be nothing for VAR to look at, as it can't be a goal once the ref has blown his whistle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here