Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Ex-mayor of Brighton calls for two lanes of seafront road to be turned into bike lanes

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Here we go again. One of my shops is in the picture so fair to say I have experience here. Yes it is dangerous with bikes hurtling along and not giving way at the pedestrian crossing when instructed to by signs on the path. Perhaps making the cycle lane part of the road, ie a third lane on the south side, may help but wouldn't stop cyclists going through red lights or failing to give way. Meanwhile, with a dedicated lane why do cyclists think the north pedestrian path is for them?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Here we go again. One of my shops is in the picture so fair to say I have experience here. Yes it is dangerous with bikes hurtling along and not giving way at the pedestrian crossing when instructed to by signs on the path. Perhaps making the cycle lane part of the road, ie a third lane on the south side, may help but wouldn't stop cyclists going through red lights or failing to give way. Meanwhile, with a dedicated lane why do cyclists think the north pedestrian path is for them?

Fair play for refraining from bemoaning the lot of the poor old delivery drivers, whose needs appear to be paramount, just this once.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
My guess is that most people driving on that route are travelling a distance which isn't realistically cycleable, or maybe they are leaving Churchill Square with a ton of stuff. I don't think going to two lanes is a good idea.

We certainly need to think about how we can make sure there is space for everyone on that crowded and narrow stretch. Firstly, there's a tonne of street clutter that should just be gone. It might be possible to more clearly highlight where the cycle lanes, maybe if they were dropped lower next to the road, it would be more obvious where they are.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
https://road.cc/content/news/259825...-two-lanes-seafront-road-be-turned-bike-lanes

“You’ve got a four-lane dual carriageway that is the preserve of motor vehicles because no one apart from the foolhardy like me is actually prepared to cycle along the road,” he said.

“So they’ve got it all to themselves whereas the cyclists and pedestrians are crammed together, milling on the prom,”

Why are the cyclists on the prom, NO cycling is permitted on the prom, typical can't even get his facts right!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why are the cyclists on the prom, NO cycling is permitted on the prom, typical can't even get his facts right!

Have you actually ever been down there? The cycle lane is PART of the prom. A pedestrian crossing at the lights immediately has to cross a marked cycle lane in the prom before reaching the pedestrian bit of the prom.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
“The cyclists and pedestrians are crammed together, milling on the prom,”

Milling Ontheprom. Left back for Bangkok City FC in the Thai Second Division. Could do a job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Have you actually ever been down there? The cycle lane is PART of the prom. A pedestrian crossing at the lights immediately has to cross a marked cycle lane in the prom before reaching the pedestrian bit of the prom.

Not in the photograph from the article

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here