Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Ex-mayor of Brighton calls for two lanes of seafront road to be turned into bike lanes

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Do **** off loppy Bollox. No one is interested in your wind up shite

It won't happen and if it does hopefully I'll be plotted up outside your house revving up my diesel. Go back to your middle class shite and weave a poncho from ethically sourced guinea pigs or whatever up your own arse hobbies you have. How about something practical for a change? Perhaps they could use the i360 as a roundabout?

vic_and_bob.jpg

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
I don't know if this has been mentioned but how about banning all parking on the coast road (as with cars parked on both sides, particularly approaching Hove, there is no possibility of using both lanes anyway) making way for a proper cycle path and a two lanes each way? I agree with many that its one of the few ways of getting east to west and vice versa in Brighton but having a cycle lane on the pavement is ****ing stupid too.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Removing the parking around Hove Lawns is part of a solution, but wouldn't make a difference if there is a bottleneck further east. To me the answer to the congestion here is to work out what we don't really need and get rid of it.

I'd favour two lanes in either direction and clearly marked 2 way cycle lane attached to the south side of the road (they need to be subject to the pedestrian traffic lights. We need more pedestrian space on the north side of the road and a wider cycle lane. This space should come from reducing the width of the road lanes, (this area is always going to run fairly slowly) and removing all phone boxes, outside seating, commercial bins, ice cream advert boards. The existing pedestrian underpasses should be made to look a bit less threatening.

I don't know if this has been mentioned but how about banning all parking on the coast road (as with cars parked on both sides, particularly approaching Hove, there is no possibility of using both lanes anyway) making way for a proper cycle path and a two lanes each way? I agree with many that its one of the few ways of getting east to west and vice versa in Brighton but having a cycle lane on the pavement is ****ing stupid too.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
What Brighton needs is another bypass road to the South.
Yes, from Rottingdean to Worthing or even Chichester, with exists/entries at Brighton marina, Hove, shoreham, Worthing etc.

They have bloody huge bridges in Florida across their water, so why not here? And Florida gets hurricanes which we don't, so can't blame the weather...

Job done. [emoji3]

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
What's wrong with the cycle path that already exists

What's right with it? It has to be one of the poorest cycle lanes anywhere. It zigzags through the middle of a busy pavements swarming with tourists and is completely unusable for half the year. I used to commute from Hanover to Worthing and it was ok first thing in the morning but not at all useable in the evening (unless I wanted to spend 4 hours cycling home rather than 45 minutes which is hardly practical).

They're introducing much better cycle lanes in Leeds which are segregated from both the road and pedestrians (s, though still not ideal as they tend to end abruptly.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.794...4!1sE8u5Hfq3UTb-vwNirVjfyg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free

Very sensible.

Ergo it will never happen.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Removing the parking around Hove Lawns is part of a solution, but wouldn't make a difference if there is a bottleneck further east. To me the answer to the congestion here is to work out what we don't really need and get rid of it.

I'd favour two lanes in either direction and clearly marked 2 way cycle lane attached to the south side of the road (they need to be subject to the pedestrian traffic lights. We need more pedestrian space on the north side of the road and a wider cycle lane. This space should come from reducing the width of the road lanes, (this area is always going to run fairly slowly) and removing all phone boxes, outside seating, commercial bins, ice cream advert boards. The existing pedestrian underpasses should be made to look a bit less threatening.

Errr, isn't this exactly what I suggested in the comment you quoted?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1112791536440434688[/tweet]

the 14-mile (23km) route was opened in July 2016. Before construction, just 136 cycle trips per weekday were made on the Leeds-Bradford route. In the first year that increased by 51%, in 2018 by a further 26%. By January 2019, it had clocked up 870,764 cycle trips. Of users, 30% describe themselves as new or returning cyclists, and 80% use it between three and five days per week.

Even if you project weekday journeys onto the weekend, I only make that 94,445 journeys in 2018.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

the 14-mile (23km) route was opened in July 2016. Before construction, just 136 cycle trips per weekday were made on the Leeds-Bradford route. In the first year that increased by 51%, in 2018 by a further 26%. By January 2019, it had clocked up 870,764 cycle trips. Of users, 30% describe themselves as new or returning cyclists, and 80% use it between three and five days per week.

Even if you project weekday journeys onto the weekend, I only make that 94,445 journeys in 2018.
OMG if your maths holds up that's absolutely disgusting.

Only an extra 94,000 journey's when previously there was none is pitiful.
If we look at the impact those extra, and still rapidly increasing, journey's have on:-

- The environment.
- Improved physical health.
- Weight loss.
- The NHS.
- Probably more importantly (certainly for me) improved mental health.
- More spending money for those ditching the car.
- Safe independent transport for the young.
- increased productive for those off to work.
- Less impact on the emergency services.

You're right it's all pretty worthless and they'd have been better building another road.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

If we look at the impact those extra, and still rapidly increasing, journey's have on:-

- The environment.
- Improved physical health.
- Weight loss.
- The NHS.
- Probably more importantly (certainly for me) improved mental health.
- More spending money for those ditching the car.
- Safe independent transport for the young.
- increased productive for those off to work.
- Less impact on the emergency services.

You're right it's all pretty worthless and they'd have been better building another road.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...t-uk-city-to-lower-its-childhood-obesity-rate

Moronic post.

I am a cyclist and don't run a vehicle.

I've made no comment whatsoever on the worthiness of the scheme; it should be obvious that my post is about the arithmetical nonsense contained in the article. Also, there were previously 35,000 weekday journeys, not 'none'. And whilst we're on the subject of nonsense, if 'journey' was pluralised with an apostrophe then I'd have used one.

Maybe take a look at yourself first before jumping to criticise others.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Moronic post.

I am a cyclist and don't run a vehicle.

I've made no comment whatsoever on the worthiness of the scheme; it should be obvious that my post is about the arithmetical nonsense contained in the article. And whilst we're on the subject of nonsense, if 'journey' was pluralised with an apostrophe then I'd have used one.

Maybe take a look at yourself first before criticising others.

Oh come on that wasn't a post turning on poor use of statistics, if it was solely that then I sincerely apologise.
Because it doesn't half read as 'what's the point sneering'.

Something I do have experience of, as I sneered at the new cycle path between Clymping and Felpham.
Unlike my prediction this 'path to nowhere' is used everyday, sure the numbers aren't massive, but there's no denying the fact that if you build it (properly) they will come.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
No need for two lanes each side as there is never any traffic congestion there. :ffsparr:
Maybe one lane out of four would work?

The traffic in the south is bad as it is....we need all the roads/lanes we can get!

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Remove all the vehicles and pedestrianise the lot

On the occasions I've had to drive the stretch from Hove to Brighton on the seafront the congestion always appears to be as a result of cars joining from the side roads all along the section past the King Alfred into Brighton. The other side of the road (west-bound) always flows well. So, it's people trying to avoid the traffic that are causing the delay in the 1st place.

Without any impact assessment, I'd make a number of those side roads either one way or blocked off at the southern end, and force the 'short-cutters' to use the main arterial roads that run N->S like Grand Avenue, which have lights to regulate the flow. That would reduce the constant interruption of the eastward flow.

To the need for less cars, and more space for cyclists, perhaps the council should create a toll zone for certain areas / roads, similar to London, where EV / Hybrid cars can travel free of charge and add the required dedicated cycle lane (I assume on the sea side of the road).

The alternative would be to ban all cars in the centre and build a mass transport system, and out of town car parks to act as starting points. Monorail anyone?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here