Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Amazing scenes at MIGHTY Leeds

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not sure what Leeds did wrong there. The ref should only stop play for a head injury, Leeds were perfectly within their rights to carry on playing. Brighton did something similar earlier in the season (can't remember the opposition) and I can't remember anyone on here saying that we should have stopped play.
The difference is, Roberts (Leeds no.11) looked like he was stopping, and playing the ball out, so all the Villa players stopped.

You're certainly right that the team with the ball doesn't have to stop (and I remember our game where we didn't, because the other side were time wasting and feigning injury), but you can't pretend to stop and then carry on - that's what caused the problem.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Let's keep our current manager and watch more anti football and relegation - assuming we stay in the PL - whatever keeps a few of you happy.

I've already said I wouldn't be upset to see a parting of the ways in the summer but there's no point replacing him unless we can get someone in who's better. I don't know what objective justification there can be for suggesting Bielsa would be a better bet. He might get us playing more entertaining football, which may well see us relegated. Who knows?

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
I'm not sure what Leeds did wrong there. The ref should only stop play for a head injury, Leeds were perfectly within their rights to carry on playing. Brighton did something similar earlier in the season (can't remember the opposition) and I can't remember anyone on here saying that we should have stopped play.

Still, should make for a feisty play-off game if they meet.

Absolutely this
We did it earlier this season
Leeds did nothing wrong at all
I certainly wouldn’t have allowed Villa to walk it into
the net

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
The difference is, Roberts (Leeds no.11) looked like he was stopping, and playing the ball out, so all the Villa players stopped.

You're certainly right that the team with the ball doesn't have to stop (and I remember our game where we didn't, because the other side were time wasting and feigning injury), but you can't pretend to stop and then carry on - that's what caused the problem.

Also, I thought the commentator said that, earlier in the game, Villa had put the ball out when a Leeds player was down.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Biesla just went up in my estimation

Leeds v Derby will be a feisty enough game - Terry would never tell his mate Lampard how to beat Leeds obviously

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
in all that i missed what Bamford did and why 22 was off - presumably Bamford is the one on his arse and 22 was supposedly the offender? didnt see the 22 in the group, so did the linesman call the wrong man? messy.

on the goal though, play to the whistle even if you expect ball to go out, play until it has actually gone out.

I missed it as well. However, the BBC match report states "In the ensuing heated aftermath, Villa's Ahmed El Ghazi was wrongly red carded for an alleged elbow on Leeds striker Patrick Bamford, who was shown up by TV cameras to have simulated his fall to the turf".

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I missed it as well. However, the BBC match report states "In the ensuing heated aftermath, Villa's Ahmed El Ghazi was wrongly red carded for an alleged elbow on Leeds striker Patrick Bamford, who was shown up by TV cameras to have simulated his fall to the turf".

Bamford should be given a ban on that basis

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Apologies for being dim. But why did the Leeds manager let Villa score?

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Play to the whistle. Pontus should have kicked Adomah up in the air.

I agree. A straight red and 3 match ban for that, would have been the cherry on the cake of the whole hilarious episode.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Slightly off topic.....loved the chant from the north stand yesterday when the ball was kicked out with Ritchie appearing to feign injury ...I have an intense and probably dislike of Ritchie on the pitch...he's probably quite pleasant off it :moo:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
ignore

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Apologies for being dim. But why did the Leeds manager let Villa score?

Because he recognised that his team had been bang out of order, scoring their goal, after Villa had been duped into stopping by Roberts stopping as if to knock it out, and then carrying on.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I've already said I wouldn't be upset to see a parting of the ways in the summer but there's no point replacing him unless we can get someone in who's better. I don't know what objective justification there can be for suggesting Bielsa would be a better bet. He might get us playing more entertaining football, which may well see us relegated. Who knows?

Could say the same about Hassenhatl, Santos and a few others that have done ok in the Prem.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Absolutely this
We did it earlier this season
Leeds did nothing wrong at all
I certainly wouldn’t have allowed Villa to walk it into
the net

You need to have watched it. The winger was pointing for the player to kick it out. He then received the ball and slowed down as if he was going to stop/ kick it out, the Villa players had stopped. He the put the ball through. There is a difference from teams falling down and trying to break up play, that’s what happened to us earlier in the season and we rightly played on. Before that foul a Leeds player was injured and they called for Villa to put the ball out and they obliged. The outcry by everyone is pretty clear as it was blatant un gamesmanship and added to that Bamford clearly getting a fellow pro sent off by making out he was hit in the face.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here