Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Albion Dan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our transfer spend is much higher than 19th. We’ve spent more than Palace, Newcastle, Burnley, Huddersfield, Southampton and Cardiff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugrat View Post
    Wrong
    See post #53

18th/19th whatever right but we’re still punching.

And as @El Presidente eluded to I expect TB/PB/CH/DA would constitute 17th as very much a success no matter how we as fans feel the season
    played out.

All of TBs businesses work on statistical fundamentals but out of all them I’m sure BHAFC is the most emotive and whilst he won’t be immune to the fan’s feelings he won’t make a knee jerk reaction at the end of the season.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by GingerBeerMan View Post
      I suspect the figures for this season will be different, we had quite a bumper transfer window last summer.
      Very similar to the first season actually if you look at the numbers [roughly £55-60m in each transfer window].

The wages might shift slightly but I doubt acquisitions from Ligue 1, Eredivisie etc command the same requirements as bringing people in from established Prem or even Championship squads.

So I doubt the amortisation value will move massively and of course us moving up assumes others cut back relative to us which is also unlikely to be the case.

Whichever way you want to spin it we are constantly punching.
      Members

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by GloryDays View Post
      Would you regard this season as a success?
      If we stay up......

We've done the double over our closest rivals and got to the semi-final of the FA cup and had a day out at Wembley.

I would say that is a successful season.

If we go down - then no it isn't.

The football since Xmas has been pretty dire, but the first half of the season was much better and more in the vein of the second half against Newcastle.

First season up we improved our starting XI, this season we have improved the overall squad. I suspect this summer will see us again try to improve the XI that start most games, with a new striker, more creativity in midfield and more pace on the wings.
      Mama said knock you out. LlcoolJ's Avatar

5 Not allowed!
      Our transfer spend is much higher than 19th. We’ve spent more than Palace, Newcastle, Burnley, Huddersfield, Southampton and Cardiff.
      As El Pres has pointed out, this is not true. You have to understand amortisation rather than what is "spent" on fees in one year to get a fair reflection of transfer spending.

If City spent £350m one year but £20m the next would you consider their transfer spending more or less than us spending £70m in both years?

That's why fees are written off over the term of the contract by amortisation in the accounts.

By that measure and by wages, we are punching above our weight.
      "I never mentioned horses!"
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by LlcoolJ View Post
      As El Pres has pointed out, this is not true. You have to understand amortisation rather than what is "spent" on fees in one year to get a fair reflection of transfer spending.

If City spent £350m one year but £20m the next would you consider their transfer spending more or less than us spending £70m in both years?

That's why fees are written off over the term of the contract by amortisation in the accounts.

By that measure and by wages, we are punching above our weight.
      You ****ing accountants
      Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser - Toto Wolff

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      You ****ing accountants
      You know you love this stuff. Embrace your inner accountancy geek.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
      I know some people think the problem is Chris Hughton but that is playing the blame game because people want simple answers.

Last season we had the 19th lowest wage bill and 19th lowest transfer fee amortisation cost. This year I suspect we may sneak up to 18th and be above Cardiff and Huddersfield (Wolves and Fulham have spent money with vastly differing consequences), and I don't think the football played by either of those clubs has been entertaining either.

There's a fair chance we may stay up on goal difference, and in the eyes of Tony Bloom, Paul Barber and Chris Hughton that will vindicate the cautious playing style as it has stopped us conceding as many goals as Cardiff and will be worth £100 million next season if we are still in the Premier League.

Attachment 108480
      As an aside, Man United's spending in comparison to how BANG average they are is nothing short of hilarious. Well done Jose (and Pob Woodward).

7 Not allowed!
      I understand people have been frustrated this season but I also think our expectations of what constitutes success needs to be lowered. At the start of this season there were fans suggesting on here saying that we needed to be aiming for Europe. I realise this was probably a minority, but that’s just crazy. It’s going to be a few more seasons yet before we can think of anything beyond a relegation battle. That’s not being negative just realistic.

Progression in the premier league isn’t achieved overnight. Throughout the season the gap between 7th and the relegation zone is never that big. The difference between the teams that pull away and those that drop into the relegation battle is consistency. So if consistency is the goal, then surely our best way of achieving that is playing to our strengths, which is our defensive nature.

Hughton will be dammed if we do dammed if we don’t. If he plays attacking, we lose and get relegated he’ll get the boot. If he plays to our strengths, plays defensively and keeps us up but the football is unattractive, people will be calling for him to get the boot. The only way he can win is to play attacking football, and drive us up the table, which is completely unrealistic. Guardiola wouldn’t be able to achieve that given the limitations a club of our size have in trying to compete.

If we want to progress and establish ourselves, we have to acknowledge that it’s done step by step, and is a gradual process. We will continue fighting for survival for quite a while and every time we achieve it we’ll get stronger. Those who are frustrated might just have to bite the bullet and accept that fighting a relegation battle in the premier league is better than when we were doing it in league 1 & 2. We can progress and we can establish ourselves, but only if we get behind Hughton and the team.

7 Not allowed!
      When did Brighton fans become so entitled?
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      When people are rude to you, they reveal who they are, not who you are.
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by LlcoolJ View Post
      You know you love this stuff. Embrace your inner accountancy geek.
      Hmm, if it wasn’t for calculators my career would have been shelf stacking
      Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser - Toto Wolff