Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would a 17th placed finish in the Premier League next year constitute success?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
And would you be happy with it?

It’s a tough one for me. At some point you have to try and push on, but all the time you stay in the Premier League, regardless of performances and results, you become more financially stable and more established, which should in theory help you move up in the long run.

But is just missing out on relegation in year 3 enough? I guess I’d begrudgingly accept it if you offered it to me now, but it would make for another unenjoyable season, and we are supposed to enjoy going to watch football, otherwise we wouldn’t spend thousands of pounds doing it every year.

Discuss.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hang on we haven't finished this one...and yet you've already whistled through the next one....i'm going to start a thread for season 2024/2025 then...second thoughts I'll get on with the hoovering :moo:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think most of us would accept 17th place with an improvement in playing style.
I think everyone concedes that hanging on to Prem status by throwing bodies at shots for ever, is in nobody's best interests.

However I suspect many of those stating they would be happy with a few losses if it meant more entertainment, would be calling for the manager's head if it looked like we were going to be relegated, but playing attractive football..

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I think most of us would accept 17th place with an improvement in playing style.
I think everyone concedes that hanging on to Prem status by throwing bodies at shots for ever, is in nobody's best interests.

However I suspect many of those stating they would be happy with a few losses if it meant more entertainment, would be calling for the manager's head if it looked like we were going to be relegated, but playing attractive football..

More or less this.

I don't mind losing or nicking a draw if I can see the players are putting a shift in which is why the first half yesterday left my piss boiling. It's the difference, I think, between us and Cardiff. They look like a team who want to avoid relegation. We look like a team hoping someone else will do the graft for us.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Would a 17th placed finish in the Premier League next year constitute success?
If we stay up this year (not done yet), then getting relegated will obviously constitute failure.

Whether 17th would be a success or not would be down to how good other teams have been (the bottom 3 this year haven't been great), and how well we've played, whether we've had to change things due to injuries etc. So it depends.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

No, being defensively robust is the key to staying in the division.

Just listen to the Huddersfield manager's comments post the 5-0 defeat at Liverpool, he was pleased that they gave it a go, but who would be happy losing 5-0 each time we play City, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Utd, that a minus 60 goal difference and zero points before we play anyone else.

Also don't overlook that our superior goal difference to Cardiff is the reason why they effectively need two wins to have a chance of staying up.

What we probably need is more pace within the team, to enable us to counter attack more efficiently

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
In my opinion, no, because I can't stand another season of one defeat after another and mostly dire football. I'd rather we were back in the Championship winning most games than yet another struggle in the Prem. For fans and spectators our football in the second half of this season has been nothing short of embarrassing.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
And would you be happy with it?

It’s a tough one for me. At some point you have to try and push on, but all the time you stay in the Premier League, regardless of performances and results, you become more financially stable and more established, which should in theory help you move up in the long run.

But is just missing out on relegation in year 3 enough? I guess I’d begrudgingly accept it if you offered it to me now, but it would make for another unenjoyable season, and we are supposed to enjoy going to watch football, otherwise we wouldn’t spend thousands of pounds doing it every year.

Discuss.

I go to be entertained, where we finish is where we finish, life goes on.

I just really do not want to watch the brand of football being served up week in week out that we're getting at the moment.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Yes. Obviously.

There are only 10-12 football clubs in the UK resourced at a level to think otherwise.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
In my opinion, no, because I can't stand another season of one defeat after another and mostly dire football. I'd rather we were back in the Championship winning most games than yet another struggle in the Prem. For fans and spectators our football in the second half of this season has been nothing short of embarrassing.

And there’s the rub. What defines success? Staying in PL, winning games or being entertained ?

I know TBs definition.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Just listen to the Huddersfield manager's comments post the 5-0 defeat at Liverpool, he was pleased that they gave it a go, but who would be happy losing 5-0 each time we play City, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Utd, that a minus 60 goal difference and zero points before we play anyone else.

Also don't overlook that our superior goal difference to Cardiff is the reason why they effectively need two wins to have a chance of staying up.

What we probably need is more pace within the team, to enable us to counter attack more efficiently

There's defensively robust and then there is the 10 men behind the ball for 90 minutes.
If that is all we are going to offer in the Premier league next season and the next until we eventually get relegated, then what is the point?
A robust defence should be the platform to build from. Not the sole tactic of the squad.

I agree that this season it has been a necessity, but that wasn't the question being asked by the OP.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I assume that TB and the board have a long term strategy.

The first two years in the Prem - stay up, don't spend too much money, don't take too many risks, get the finances on an even keel after years of being propped up by TB.

For all of this, Chris Hughton is the right man for the job. However he has a contract until 2021.

After two years of Premier League cash, I would like to think that for the third/fourth years he will be given the money to buy better players. Hopefully this will lead to more positive exciting football and a better placing in the league.

If he isn't capable of achieving this, I imagine the board will say "thanks for keeping us up Chris" and look elsewhere pretty sharpish, and certainly before relegation looks like a possibility.

That's what I think/hope anyway :)

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Yes and no , if we finish 17th but play well and entertain more then a yes but on the other hand we want to see some sort of progression so a No because we should do better season on season not be the same.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
17th wouldn't be a success, but I'd settle for it as it will help us to build towards security.

Our 2nd half performance yesterday show exactly what we are capable of. If we perform like that in August then we could hope for a higher finish. A few extra wins would move us up the table drastically.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Seeing as CH says in every pre match press conference how much quality there is in our upcoming opponents, I think we need some of that.

We desperately need 2 playmakers who can deliver a pass forwards accurately.
We have pace in some players but our front players were chasing lost causes at times yesterday due to overhit passes.

We also need 2 strikers.
Defensively I think we are ok unless a loan player comes up (like Bridge :))

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here