Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fortress Amex?

el punal

I had to miss yesterday’s home game against Newcastle yesterday - daughter’s birthday bash and all that. I was, however, at the horror story trilogy of Southampton, Bournemouth and Cardiff. Fearing the worst, I attended our backs-to-the-wall display of defensive guts against Spurs. The difference in attitude between those three home matches and our heroic display at Tottenham (and presumably Wolves) leads me to believe that we (gasp!) are performing better away.

For many seasons now our salvation when things have not run smoothly has been our home form. Having watched Match of the Day and read various reports it seems that yesterday’s first half showing was dire and that our mojo of sorts returned in the second half.

The question is, are the team scared to play at the Amex now? Has the lack of confidence and relegation pressure broken that fabulous team spirit that has seen us through thick and thin over the last three seasons?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The team looked petrified and too many went missing 1st half yesterday.

Second half they have it a good go and didnt lose control as a result.

Two weeks ago, knocky should never play for us again. But now apparently he should have started yesterday

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The team looked petrified and too many went missing 1st half yesterday.

Second half they have it a good go and didnt lose control as a result.

Two weeks ago, knocky should never play for us again. But now apparently he should have started yesterday

There is a serious confidence issue at present and you are right our players were totally fearful 1st half and went missing badly but the team formation was so baffling you could see why.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
There is a serious confidence issue at present and you are right our players were totally fearful 1st half and went missing badly but the team formation was so baffling you could see why.

Yes it was baffling but it looked more a 4.3.3. Than a 4.4.2 and tried to attack while covering a lack of pace. Im not sure ive seen it played so badly ever.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yes it was baffling but it looked more a 4.3.3. Than a 4.4.2 and tried to attack while covering a lack of pace. Im not sure ive seen it played so badly ever.

And included a debut on the wing for Gross which was not nice at all

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Yes. I plead guilty to flagrant flip floppery here. I stood and clapped him on yesterday. And I finally joined the 'hooten out' contingent recently (albeit with caveats). And I am not ashamed.

Personally I think that bending with circumstances, welcoming redemption, and positive pragmatism are infinitely preferable to the attitude of one cock I now have on ignore who continually gives Murray his disdain on account of his Palace years. :wrong:

disdain.jpg

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
And included a debut on the wing for Gross which was not nice at all

I know but he played there loads in germany. At 4.3.3 the wingers should be more about diagonal balls into the box rather than getting the the line and pulling back

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Unfortunately with our Zimmer-tune strikers those diagonal balls are just goalkeeping practice, so he never bothers.

I know but he played there loads in germany. At 4.3.3 the wingers should be more about diagonal balls into the box rather than getting the the line and pulling back

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I think the way we play is now more suited to being away from home, where the pressure is off. Recent away performances have mostly been good.
Whereas at home form has completely dropped off.
I'm not sure why but I suspect it has something to do with wanting for leadership on the pitch.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I'm not sure why but I suspect it has something to do with wanting for leadership on the pitch.

Agree on this. We don't have anyone who steps up and shouts at people. They all do the little hands in the air, tuts, head shakes and mutters - but nobody takes the lead. You could say Bruno, but how does a bit-part player have the authority to lay the law down?

When things are going well, the team lead each other. When the going gets tough - it's down to one man. Lord Christopher the Emotionless isn't the man (I'm taking the mickey there, not laying into him) so we need that man on the pitch.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Agree on this. We don't have anyone who steps up and shouts at people. They all do the little hands in the air, tuts, head shakes and mutters - but nobody takes the lead. You could say Bruno, but how does a bit-part player have the authority to lay the law down?

When things are going well, the team lead each other. When the going gets tough - it's down to one man. Lord Christopher the Emotionless isn't the man (I'm taking the mickey there, not laying into him) so we need that man on the pitch.

I think a few 'lead by example'. The Bruno's, the Dunk's, the Murray's. But there's no ball-busting Roy Keane type.
We definitely miss Rosenior and Sidwell in the changing room, I bet.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We changed our formation and exposed our defence leading to a barrage of goals, this caused a huge knock in confidence and a spiralling scenario which required a shift back to basics to see an improvement in performances. We will return to being great at home after a few games

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here