Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] OT - Cocker Spaniels

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I’ve had dogs for most of my life. The best breed that I would recommend is a Boxer. They’re fantastic around kids and don’t actually require as much exercise as you might think. They have a clown like character about them and cherish being part of a family.
Certainly worth looking into before making a final decision.
I want another now but enjoy my holidays too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I had a Cocker, she was beautiful but she passed away last year. I was looking for a dog a few months ago & decided on a change as I didn't want to compare the new dog to the lovely Floozy so now have 2 sprightly Cockapoo's.
I would highly recommend Cockers either of the Spaniel variety or the Poo variety!!! Both lovely breeds. I got my pair on Pets for Homes.
The thing with Cockapoos is that there not a breed at all. To be clear, I don't mean that in a snobby way, because mongrels are as lovely as pedigree dogs - I mean it in terms of knowing what you're going to get. A Cockapoo obviously has parents from different breeds, and the pup could be any mix of their traits. Cute as buttons though.

I'd be happy with a Cockapoo rescue, just don't think I'd pay for a puppy.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Ah, so you're talking of just not having pedigree dogs at all. Thanks to advances with testing etc, you can breed out some breed specific issues. There are of course still issues with certain breeds, but the advantage you have with a pedigree dog is that you get a good idea of the temperament of a dog, rather than it being pot luck.

Good to hear and I hope you find a new member of the household! Dogs make a home.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Labradors are born half trained, Spaniels die half trained.

Very true in my experience. Really good fun dogs though if you don't mind your lunch being stolen every other day!

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
More energy than a nutty Spaniel. Cute though.

Ahh see that’s a miss conception, I did a lot of research into it, I’ve always wanted a gundog that I could train, but it had to be a good family pet first and foremost, so for about a year I looked into it, went and saw many different breeders and asked many questions.
The conclusion was that it’s the smooth Vizsla that are head mental, the wires are a lot less skitty and have a much denser bone structure, which makes them an all round calmer dog and so easy to train.
The point was proven at my local puppy classes where there was a smooth Viz of the same age who was off the scale mental and the owner was tearing his hair out with frustration, where my dopey wire was calm as anything and a dream to train.
He’s 5 months now and the only difficulty we’ve had so far is tying to get him to sleep beyond 5.30

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ahh see that’s a miss conception, I did a lot of research into it, I’ve always wanted a gundog that I could train, but it had to be a good family pet first and foremost, so for about a year I looked into it, went and saw many different breeders and asked many questions.
The conclusion was that it’s the smooth Vizsla that are head mental
You've misread my post. I wasn't saying they were at all nutty, I was saying they have a shit tone of energy and need a lot of walking. The nutty comment was aimed purely at Spaniels. Cockers need a decent amount of walking, and we can just manage that, but don't Vizsla's require even more? Not yours, as a 5 month old shouldn't be walked so much.

The point was proven at my local puppy classes where there was a smooth Viz of the same age who was off the scale mental
:lol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Labradors are born half trained, Spaniels die half trained.
Our Cocker was trained well enough. Recoil was sometimes and issue, as she'd catch a sent and run off in the opposite direction, but otherwise she was good. Labs are great, but they're too big for me (their tail can clear a coffee table) and I'm often allergic to them.

Really good fun dogs though if you don't mind your lunch being stolen every other day!
Oh god yeah, all food is their food. Any tradesman bringing a packed lunch would go hungry. She'd scoff an entire chocolate cake if she found it. Oo is that a pound of cheese you've bought me - thanks!

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Our Cocker was trained well enough. Recoil was sometimes and issue, as she'd catch a sent and run off in the opposite direction, but otherwise she was good. Labs are great, but they're too big for me (their tail can clear a coffee table) and I'm often allergic to them.

Oh god yeah, all food is their food. Any tradesman bringing a packed lunch would go hungry. She'd scoff an entire chocolate cake if she found it. Oo is that a pound of cheese you've bought me - thanks!

I can look back and laugh at all of that now but at the time 'THAT FU£$%NG DOG IS GETTING IT THIS TIME!!!!!!!!'

I had a regular 10 mile running route on the downs above Steyning. For a laugh one day I attached my garmin to her collar, she ran 24.5 miles!!!!

Lovely dogs.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can look back and laugh at all of that now but at the time 'THAT FU£$%NG DOG IS GETTING IT THIS TIME!!!!!!!!'
Yeah, if you can't deal with food being stolen, don't get a Cocker.
I had a regular 10 mile running route on the downs above Steyning. For a laugh one day I attached my garmin to her collar, she ran 24.5 miles!!!!
Bloody hell :lol:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I had a Cocker, she was beautiful but she passed away last year. I was looking for a dog a few months ago & decided on a change as I didn't want to compare the new dog to the lovely Floozy so now have 2 sprightly Cockapoo's.
I would highly recommend Cockers either of the Spaniel variety or the Poo variety!!! Both lovely breeds. I got my pair on Pets for Homes.

I thumbed through the thread to find this one.
Totally agree Cockerpoos are great dogs, we have a Cavapoo, very similar but the cavalier spaniel is even soppier.
Poos are often non moulting, non allergenic, and the best family dogs, they are used in schools for kids with reading problems and old folks homes for company.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
You've misread my post. I wasn't saying they were at all nutty, I was saying they have a shit tone of energy and need a lot of walking. The nutty comment was aimed purely at Spaniels. Cockers need a decent amount of walking, and we can just manage that, but don't Vizsla's require even more? Not yours, as a 5 month old shouldn't be walked so much.

:lol:

Our Cavapoo is very fast, let her off the lead and she runs herself into the ground for 30 minutes, comes back for a treat, slip the lead on and go home, 30 minutes, done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here