Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] OT - Cocker Spaniels

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
My wife's been asking for another for a good 6 months, long before ours passed, as ours was no longer able to go out running. I've been adamant we won't get another for now, but she won't stop going on about it. She was chilling on the sofa yesterday and I asked if I could get her anything (I was aiming at cup of tea level) and she just replied 'a dog'. Little does she know I'm taking her to see some puppies this afternoon.

Aaah. That is really nice.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My wife's been asking for another for a good 6 months, long before ours passed, as ours was no longer able to go out running. I've been adamant we won't get another for now, but she won't stop going on about it. She was chilling on the sofa yesterday and I asked if I could get her anything (I was aiming at cup of tea level) and she just replied 'a dog'. Little does she know I'm taking her to see some puppies this afternoon.

It's been years since someone has taken me to see some puppies.

I guess it's an age thing!!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Under the thumb :wink:
:)

She desperately wants another dog, so...
552efb0575ca5025d14ec27e4e7825cf.jpg

I'd quite like to not have the responsibility for a little while and I could put it off for a few months, but I'd love another dog too and there's not much point resisting the inevitable.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Do they have breathing issues, or are they healthy?

I think they may do, I haven’t done that much research yet, i just find them really cute

My last dog was a rescue from a French village square that had whip marks and scars on it’s back. Took my wife 20 mins to get it to come to her. The dog was only about six months old too. She peed herself everytime we came home for a couple of months. Even after 16 years if I raised my voice at her she started to cower. ******** out there :down:

We may well go down the same route

966AA9D5-79C9-43C1-9D99-953546F05734.jpeg

Last edited:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Lurcher. No competition, simply outstanding dogs. Mixed breed by definition and hence strong. Quiet and clean, wonderful to see them run, need 30mins or so in the morning and are happy to sleep for hours before a bit of a stroll in the evening. Kind hearted, great with kids and hate cats. The most perfect of dogs.

Labradors are nice and trustworthy but get fat and stink, spaniels are hectic, cocapoos etc are just too designer dog for me (why spend hundreds on a mongrel), Vizlas are OK but can't move for them at present, Vineramas (however you spell them) were the previous Vizla fad but are neurotic. German Shepherds and Boxers are great but too much stamina and breed specific problems.

Lurchers or a big old mix in a shaggy mongrel has to be the way forward

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think they may do, I haven’t done that much research yet, i just find them really cute
Yeah they are cute, but I'd never support the breeding of dogs with the breathing health issues of a pug. I don't know if the Kennel Club are improving (I doubt it), but in the past they've not tried to stop pets with hereditary issues breeding under their name. There's was a documentary on them a few years back.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Don’t most of the giant breeds die young? We’ve known people with Irish wolfhounds and others with pyrannians (sp?), and they’ve all gone after 8-9 years. That would break me.

Yes, a real shame/ Love deerhounds and wolfhounds but the size means you can't exercise them properly until about 18 months and wolfhounds die off at about 8. Deerhounds slightly older. No time at all - I've a deerhound cross that hopefully will last longer but is still a big dog and they just don't last

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Lurcher. No competition, simply outstanding dogs. Mixed breed by definition and hence strong. Quiet and clean, wonderful to see them run, need 30mins or so in the morning and are happy to sleep for hours before a bit of a stroll in the evening. Kind hearted, great with kids and hate cats. The most perfect of dogs.

Labradors are nice and trustworthy but get fat and stink, spaniels are hectic, cocapoos etc are just too designer dog for me (why spend hundreds on a mongrel), Vizlas are OK but can't move for them at present, Vineramas (however you spell them) were the previous Vizla fad but are neurotic. German Shepherds and Boxers are great but too much stamina and breed specific problems.

Lurchers or a big old mix in a shaggy mongrel has to be the way forward
Well it's nice to know that with all the wonderful breeds out there, there's only one worth bothering with :)

Gary Hart's Stalker

Jul 17, 2013
Gary Hart's Bush
Of course I support those rescuing pets, but often you won't have a clue how old they are, what their parents were like, what traumatic experiences they've had etc. Those things are particularly important if you have young children.

Done, thanks.
Do you have some involvement with working cockers then?

Thanks, and thanks for the advice.

I have 2 of my own! Glutton for punishment!!

Shopes

Jan 3, 2018
I've got two working Cocker Spaniels. Both rescue - one from the UK and the other from Romania. They are the soppiest, loveliest dogs I could ever wish for.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Something to consider with dogs is your lifestyle . . . . If you have a Mrs who's a bit Essex/white clothes /bling . . .don't get a shaggy dog that rolls in shit and jumps in rivers. . . . . you need a more rustic lady for that kind of mutt . . . .

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I work ESS and they are a joy to own. If you train them properly from an early age, they don’t exhibit any of the supposed problems associated with the breed.

Here’s my current working bitches. The worst behaviour they display is sleeping upside down whilst gently snoring.

719C2540-0A25-4B8D-99D4-F6750B0EA299.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here