Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] OT - Cocker Spaniels

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm looking for a new family dog. I don't have experience with many breeds, but of those I do, Cockers are currently my favourites.

Can anyone recommend any other breeds that are perhaps similar - size, temperament (gentle, good with kids) etc?

And if we do go for another Cocker, can anyone recommend a good breeder? Also, any idea what a Cocker from a good breeder might cost these days?

Thanks

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Get a Labrador.

Thread closed!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Lovely dogs Trigg but Cocker Spaniels are full on, great if you have plenty of time on your hands and like walking.

Last edited:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Why not go a rescue center and have a look and save a small fortune?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I'm looking for a new family dog. I don't have experience with many breeds, but of those I do, Cockers are currently my favourites.

Can anyone recommend any other breeds that are perhaps similar - size, temperament (gentle, good with kids) etc?

And if we do go for another Cocker, can anyone recommend a good breeder? Also, any idea what a Cocker from a good breeder might cost these days?

Thanks
Try https://manytearsrescue.org/index.php/ they usually have lots of Cockers

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010

Thanks

2y5-10.jpg

Sorry I can't suggest any better or more appropriate breed nor a reliable breeder as my wonderful 'working' cocker came from rescue.

The most wonderful companion, fantastic with children, people generally and other dogs !

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Shame so many people buy from breeders.
Check out rescue dogs and get a feel for an individual dog that really needs help rather than going by breed.
Cocker Spaniels have eye problems and arse problems. Problems that get worse with breeding.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Lovely dogs Trigg but Cocker Spaniels are full on, great if you have plenty of time on your hands and like walking.
Yes I know, we just had to have ours put down.
Why not go a rescue center and have a look and save a small fortune?
I wouldn't mind one from a rescue centre, although I know the kids would particularly enjoy having a puppy, and I can't see a rescue cocker anywhere locally.

Shame so many people buy from breeders.
Check out rescue dogs and get a feel for an individual dog that really needs help rather than going by breed.
Cocker Spaniels have eye problems and arse problems. Problems that get worse with breeding.
Why do you say they get worse with breeding?

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes I know, we just had to have ours put down.
I wouldn't mind one from a rescue centre, although I know the kids would particularly enjoy having a puppy, and I can't see a rescue cocker anywhere locally.

Why do you say they get worse with breeding?

Lots of inherent , breed specific issues get worse with breeding.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
I had a Cocker, she was beautiful but she passed away last year. I was looking for a dog a few months ago & decided on a change as I didn't want to compare the new dog to the lovely Floozy so now have 2 sprightly Cockapoo's.
I would highly recommend Cockers either of the Spaniel variety or the Poo variety!!! Both lovely breeds. I got my pair on Pets for Homes.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Thanks

What happened to the previous family dog? A casualty of the Albion season of non-scoring? Dog days.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Springers a great but need a lot of walking ! Best dog I've ever had was a flat coated retriever - soppy as hell, dead friendly and loyal. Only challenge is that they are good escape artists !

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
We've an American Cocker made in Wales. He continually hunts for shit and eats it. Also there is the not inconsiderable cost of clipping, hope that helps ...... but we love him, apparently :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Lots of inherent , breed specific issues get worse with breeding.
Ah, so you're talking of just not having pedigree dogs at all. Thanks to advances with testing etc, you can breed out some breed specific issues. There are of course still issues with certain breeds, but the advantage you have with a pedigree dog is that you get a good idea of the temperament of a dog, rather than it being pot luck.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here