Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] North Stand boo boys

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I don’t do booing at anytime, myself , but I did give them a serious tutting, and a pretty hard stare at halftime.

It appears to have worked.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I think the same to be honest. The first half was absolutely pathetic considering the scenario and I don't think it was wrong for fans to let the players/hughton know we expected much much more from them.

If the players getting paid as much as they do let a bit of booing get to them then god knows how they cope in a lot of other countries where fans are far less forgiving than us English.

I actually think its more likely to have the opposite effect anyway, giving the players a kick up the arse to make them think ok we need to get back out there and prove ourselves now. I'm sure CH didn't mince his words at half time anyway.

Then rightly clapped and cheered off at the end for a much, much better second half performance.

Your argument falls there surely, if you are saying that players shouldn't be affected by being booed, then equally it shouldnt effect them to play better? No?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Your argument falls there surely, if you are saying that players shouldn't be affected by being booed, then equally it shouldnt effect them to play better? No?

I meant negatively - in terms of it making them withdraw further into themselves.

The players happily lap up praise and applause at the end of good performances - and rightly so - I think if they're honest they would say they deserved boos at the end of the first half.

I'm generally against booing btw, bar in circumstances such as yesterday where our prem status was on the line and we were making Newcastle look like Barcelona at home

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
If ever a half of football deserved booing it was that. We were playing at a walking pace. It would be more strange to clap it than boo it.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
We are off the back of two horror shows at home and with cardiff losing we just needed an Albion team to show up first half and have a go at an average Newcastle team with nothing to play for. Then we are presented with that half to be honest did not boo myself but can totally understand why fans were venting at the interval

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Only a complete fruitloop would have applauded that lazy clueless bunch of non footballing clowns off at half time, but I suspect this must be a wind up thread eh! Arrrrrrrggggggh you got me.

Well there were quite a few fruitloops in Upper West then - as many - including me - stood to give the team encouragement as they walked off. This seemed to be a reaction to the booing from the North Stand as much as anything else!

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
We weren't 5-0 down or reduced to 9 men so I can't see half time booing as fitting either. End of a match if we played both halves like that sure. Showing passion sure! Perhaps something other than mere cheering but there is certain to be a good answer other than everybody doing their own thing but I don't have it.

Hopefully the majority is more of a 'come on' and 'lets fix this' type of thing than booing OR flat out happy clappy cheering.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Rather than booing (which is so damn negative) - maybe a stunned silence would be more effective at getting a message of disbelief across to the players!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wasn't just the NS. There were plenty in the WS also booing at HT and loads in the NS started clapping at HT after the booing to say they disagreed with it.

Loud boos initially in West Upper, followed by some rallying 'come on' stuff. All perfectly understandable, and I hadn't given it one tiny thought.

Actually, when we first moved to the Amex I spent the first 3 months worrying our newer supporters would slip into unreasonable embarrassing bahaviour at the first slip in form. It never happened. I have only been embarrassed once at the Amex, when people all around lost their shit when Palace came a-calling one time. Our support is pretty decent and sensible by and large.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I’m not sure I’ve heard the West Stand all season to be honest. If you want to support your team, try standing up and actually singing during the match.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Normally booing a team off lets them know that they have been awful and many a team come out fighting I have nothing against booing as the 1St half was a disgrace.
Thought the booing against Bournemouth at Half time worked a treat

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fans had every right to boo that disgraceful first half. The boos were more aimed at Hughton i guess.
It's not about having the right. Of course fans have the right - they pay the money to come and watch, they have the right so sing, to sit silently, to boo, whatever. But does it help a team that's trying and failing? No it doesn't.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
And you think being booed off galvanised them into action?

There have been countless times this season when we have been abysmal first half, followed by a different performance second.

I just don’t see how booing helps - put yourself in the players position, you have a bad day at work and a bunch of random strangers, invited in by the boss, stand behind you and boo your work. I am fairly sure it wouldn’t make you think “damn, I must try harder to be better at my job”, more likely “**** you”...

But have the "random strangers" paid top dollar of their hard earned cash to come and stand behind me and watch me work?

There is the flaw in your logic.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I’m not sure I’ve heard the West Stand all season to be honest. If you want to support your team, try standing up and actually singing during the match.

I don't stand as I respect the rules and the people around me. But I was hoarse from singing during the Newcastle match.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Well there were quite a few fruitloops in Upper West then - as many - including me - stood to give the team encouragement as they walked off. This seemed to be a reaction to the booing from the North Stand as much as anything else!

Indeed, exactly my point of starting the thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here