Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The first half...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What the chuff was that all about?

Dreadful in every way and sitting off Newcastle as if they were Manchester City. Bizarre.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Just a slight lack of confidence. We came out like world beaters eventually [emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Most lacklustre and fear filled performance I think I have ever seen from an Albion side in a big game. No idea why.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
It was a game of two halves, the second being much more better than the first.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Might have something to do with playing a centre forward on the right wing.
2 monopaced forwards up the middle, starting 30 yards from Ryan.
1 limping midfielder.
& 1 (first half) crab.

At least in the second half we had some rounder pegs in rounder holes and looked all the better for it.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Based on that 1st half performance, the only way we looked likely to get anything out of the game was by boring Newcastle to death.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A very confused team selection it felt like to me. Hughton wanted to play 4-4-2 but it felt like he couldn't for wouldn't fully commit to it, so the team played as confused as the formation.

Shelvey was given the freedom of the Amex. Whilst we seemed to believe that by just having numbers behind the ball that would be enough to stop Newcastle attacks. You still need to tackle, head and run after the ball.

The other factor was our starting wingers were wither played out of position or are so out of form that we really struggled to put anything together in an attacking sense. Nil shots in the first half being the result of a terrible first half performance.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We were on top for 9 minutes playing well, then the dumb ass routine at the SS when in a great spot for a strike (instead, a complex move of shite, laughed at by the away fans), appeared to be the turning point. There’s been of several of these in this 2019 run of awful Amex performances .... a bright start, then some sheer incompetence, visibly sucks the life out of the team.

mike1901

May 12, 2017
Never been so embarrassed, with the football we have played in the last month , it’s been awful
As Mark lawrenson hinted at halftime, He said "Looking at the first half today one thing we had back then was a leader" and he quoted nobby Horton. Unfortunately we dont have one.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
4 wingers at the club and Andone plays on the wing :facepalm:

Starting line up was a joke! The worse 45 minutes of football i have seen at the Amex from us! Not sure what is going on. That free kick.? the man management of players like Andone who looks to be a liability with his attitude an discipline. This team have worryingly got worse over the last 4 months. Dont see where or how the improvement will happen under our current management/coaching team. Buying more players is not the only answer, we nearly have enough to be better than your Burnleys,Bournemouths,Palaces etc!

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Clearly the second half, at least after Solly came on, was a big improvement but when and why did we lose the ability to run at opposing defences and play through balls along the ground?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
We allowed Newcastle to play walking football.
Stuart Pearce on Talksport described it as the worst 45 minutes by a premier league team this season.

We're picking up a lot of these worst performance ever awards... Heard talksport describing our second half performance at Bournemouth the worst prem performance too

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It started with that 'free kick' and went downhill from there.
Wrong players in wrong positions with no confidence, a complete and utter balls up from Hughton, it was a total and complete embarrassment considering how important that game was, and the fact that Newcastle could only score 1( and my mum could have scored it) just shoes that if we had played that half the way we played the second we would have probably won.
I am at a loss to know why we set up like that especially as we finally went 4-4-2.
It really made my piss boil.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here