Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Oddest moments at a football ground

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Was thinking about something really weird that I witnessed at an Albion game back in the Goldstone days and wondered how many weird and wonderful stories you had from left field?

I remember vividly a young lad entered at the back of the North Stand wearing Ten Pin Bowling Shoes. The copper at the entrance at first took the micky out of the lad but then became serious and nicked him for theft.

Hundreds of brilliant football moments that I can barely remember but something like that has endured in the deep recesses of my mind!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Is it an urban myth that someone wrote “Archer Out” on the ball in felt pen when it went into the crowd at Fulham on the day of the march through London?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
On a visit to Dublin probably about 10 years ago, I went to a Cup game between St Patrick's Athletic and Shamrock Rovers.

After the conclusion of the game, there was a pitch invasion involving both sets of fans which ended up with one fan of each team in the centre circle, having a swordfight/duel with rolled up umbrellas. I think drink had probably been taken, but it was an utterly surreal sight in any case.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
A few years ago, when I was a teacher in Coventry, along with a colleague, I was on a Geography field trip to Cornwall with A Level students. As a "treat" one evening, we drove them to Plymouth to see their team (City) play a Championship match. There weren't too many away fans there and during the game our lads started chanting "small town in Cornwall, you're just a small town in Cornwall" A steward nearby said to me & colleague in a loud voice "Their geography is terrible". Very red faced, we moved a few rows back and tried to pretend we weren't with them !

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
A long time ago on the darkest recesses of my mind I can remember a Brighton player striking a ball which travelled over the goal line into the back of the net.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
A long time ago on the darkest recesses of my mind I can remember a Brighton player striking a ball which travelled over the goal line into the back of the net.

Tis funny, as you get older you can remember things that happened eons ago, but you can't remember what you had for breakfast.......

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Most nostalgic would be watching the old boy painting the half time scores on the wall around the pitch at the Goldstone every home game. Happy days.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Earlier this season in fact, (and you'll never believe this) but I remember going to a game at The Amex and I saw (and this is true) Albion score 3, yes THREE, goals.

Call me a bad person, I don't care, but I really, really enjoyed it too.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Earlier this season in fact, (and you'll never believe this) but I remember going to a game at The Amex and I saw (and this is true) Albion score 3, yes THREE, goals.

Call me a bad person, I don't care, but I really, really enjoyed it too.

Screenshot_20190427-101148_Samsung Internet.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Dale Jasper (?) shot knocking an old style Bobby’s hat off his head

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
The chap on the mobility scooter invading the pitch at Withdean, obviously

something similiar to that

Bristol Rovers promotion game

everyone thought the ref had blown and I remember a bloke being pushed in a wheelchair being first on the pitch
only to have to turn around again

unfortunately he's moment of glory was gone in the 2nd invasion

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
something similiar to that

Bristol Rovers promotion game

everyone thought the ref had blown and I remember a bloke being pushed in a wheelchair being first on the pitch
only to have to turn around again

unfortunately he's moment of glory was gone in the 2nd invasion

Pretty certain that was also the game when Devon White came running out the tunnel only to trip over some rope holding up an advertising hoarding on the pitch?

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Good topic.

I can’t remember the club / ground, but about 20 years ago I went to a game up North and had a drink in the Supporters Club bar. Whilst sat a table, someone came round selling raffle tickets and when I asked what the prize was, it turned out to be a large cut of beef.

Needless to say I passed on the opportunity to win it.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013

Don’t be so stupid.

That was an own goal.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
At York away in the 90's, a York player called Edmondson was retrieving a ball from an Albion fan who was tucking in to a tray of chips. The Albion fan gave him the ball and then Edmondson asked for a chip and was duly offered the tray. He took it munched it and took the throw in. It's not that weird I suppose but I remember it pretty vividly.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Not at the ground but a famous Albion face (short, hunched, walks with a limp) getting chased out of a Liverpool hotel by a big bloke wielding a baseball bat before our 2-2 1991 FA cup match

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here