Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Newcastle United *** Official Match Thread ***

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
attachment.php
attachment.php

Albion v Newcastle

PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: The American Express Community Stadium
Date: Saturday 27th April 2019
Kick-off: 17:30 BST
Referee: The Complete And Utter Shyster
Assistants: Ian Hussin, Daniel Robathan
Fourth official: Lee Probert

TEAM NEWS

Winger Anthony Knockaert is available for Brighton after completing a three-match suspension.

Davy Propper is again ruled out with a hamstring problem.

Newcastle captain Jamaal Lascelles is ill and will not be involved, while Miguel Almiron will miss the remainder of the season because of a hamstring injury.

Fabian Schar and Isaac Hayden, who were substituted with minor injuries last weekend, should both be fit.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Jonathan Pearce: Brighton have everything to lose. Newcastle have little to gain; Rafa Benitez has done a remarkable job steering them to safety again. Chris Hughton will deserve similar accolades if he can keep Albion up. Relegation would be a crushing blow to his fine legacy.

It's in their own hands. A victory here and defeat for Cardiff at Fulham would realistically be enough.

The old defensive discipline returned at Wolves and Spurs, but no goal in 660 minutes is shocking. Creativity and confidence is totally lacking.

Newcastle were superb against Southampton but the previous league win at Leicester was their first away since mid-December, and players with injury doubts may be kept back for the Liverpool home finale.

Ayoze Perez is on fire. Glen Murray hasn't scored in 10 home league games. But I'll take him to crucially edge it.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Chris Hughton: "There's no doubt in my mind that the dressing room has the character and determination to stay in this division.

"In these times you look for people around you to stand up and be counted; over the last two games I don't think anybody can fault the endeavour from the side."

Newcastle United manager Rafael Benitez: "This club is massive. My memories of Newcastle when I was at Liverpool was a massive club that should be in the top 10 every season.

"Another manager may be happy with 15th. I want to compete and try to win trophies, but you cannot compete in the cups when you are at the bottom and have players injured.

"It is so simple to understand. If we do the right things we can compete."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Newcastle have failed to score in all three Premier League meetings, losing 0-1 twice and drawing the other game 0-0.
    [*=left]Brighton won at St James' Park in October and are looking to complete the league double over Newcastle for the first time since 1978-79.

Albion

• [*=left]Albion are on a seven-match winless run in all competitions, losing six of those games and failing to score in any of them.
    [*=left]It is the first time in the club's history that Brighton have gone seven matches without a goal.
    [*=left]They will kick-off only 13 minutes shy of equalling the club record of 11 hours and 13 minutes without a goal, set in 1970 in the third tier.
    [*=left]The Seagulls have only mustered a total of 11 shots on target during their current goalless streak.
    [*=left]Brighton could suffer four successive league defeats at home for the first time since January 2009, when they were in League One. It would also equal the club top-flight record, set from October to November 1980.
    [*=left]Chris Hughton's side have failed to score more than once in any of their last 10 home Premier League matches.
    [*=left]They have only earned three wins and 13 points from their past 20 league fixtures (D4, L13).
    [*=left]Glenn Murray has failed to score in 10 league appearances at the Amex Stadium since converting a penalty against Crystal Palace on 4 December.

Newcastle

• [*=left]Newcastle are vying for consecutive Premier League away victories for the first time since January last year.
    [*=left]Only the top five clubs and Wolves have conceded fewer goals this season than Newcastle's 44.
    [*=left]Rafael Benítez is one short of 100 league defeats as a manager in England.
    [*=left]Ayoze Perez has scored six goals in six Premier League games, as many as he had in his previous 30 appearances in the division.
    [*=left]Perez and Salomon Rondon have 10 and nine Premier League goals respectively this season - Newcastle haven't had two players reach double figures in a top-flight campaign since Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse in 2011-12.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Due to the howling winds currently battering the South Coast, bookmakers have slashed the odds on Brighton finally scoring a goal from 50/1 to 25/1. We have hope!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Anybody waving a white flag today needs to look deep inside there very soul , the very thought of it prickles my already aggravated Albionated skin , cast them down , do not become the footballing slave model they want you to be !

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We need some sort of countdown to being record breakers. If we get to 14 minutes without scoring it’s our longest ever goalless run!

If we score at 6 minutes it will be 666 minutes since the previous goal. The bus that runs from Faversham to Ashford is the 666.

Dale Stephens to score at 6 minutes, then.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Cant say I am overly confident and really depends on the Fulham-Cardiff result. Whatever that result the players have to turn in their best performance in terms of defensive lockout & creating lots of chances which need to be converted.

If Cardiff win I can see it being so nervy that the pressure may go against us big time & Newcastle will sense it and go for the kill. A Cardiff draw will still mean pressure but more for 'not to lose' rather than 'must win' & a Cardiff loss may lull the Albion players into a false sense of security.

Today we find out exactly how good we can be for anything less than 100% simply wont be good enough. I am not even going to try predict a score , just have everything crossed and finger nails covered and hope the heart can take it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here