Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] So..... it’s annoying me.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's a bit better than 'at the end of the day', but worse than the incorrect use of the word 'who's'.

There are times when 'at the end of the day' is perfectly appropriate; besides, I've never heard anybody using it as the first word in every answer to a question. On the other hand, "So, I like to...." or "So, my name is......." . . . . . . . :facepalm:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
So, taking about things that really annoy people. Just seen this on the BBC website:

'Going to the wire'
Liverpool 1-0 Huddersfield

Kevin Nolan:

Former West Ham captain on BBC Radio 5 Live
“I do not think this title race is over, but I do think if Man City get over their next two games, the final day against Brighton will be the icing on the cake.”

F*** Off Nolan!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
There are times when 'at the end of the day' is perfectly appropriate; besides, I've never heard anybody using it as the first word in every answer to a question. On the other hand, "So, I like to...." or "So, my name is......." . . . . . . . :facepalm:

So sorry, didn't realise the thread was restricted to irritants that appear at the beginning of answers.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
So, the reason I do it is that at school my English teacher told me I couldn't. He also said you couldn't have a sentence with only one word in it.

Issue?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So, taking about things that really annoy people. Just seen this on the BBC website:

'Going to the wire'
Liverpool 1-0 Huddersfield

Kevin Nolan:

Former West Ham captain on BBC Radio 5 Live
“I do not think this title race is over, but I do think if Man City get over their next two games, the final day against Brighton will be the icing on the cake.”
For Liverpool?
:)

So, the reason I do it is that at school my English teacher told me I couldn't. He also said you couldn't have a sentence with only one word in it.

Issue?
No, because that use of 'So' is still grammatically correct, presuming the speaker's previous sentence was about the thing he was doing. If, however, this was a reply, then it would be incorrect use.

Last edited:

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
People who’s first word after being asked a question is the word SO.
I can’t tell you how much this annoys me at the moment.

Time to move on. Remember being in your shoes 15 years ago...... give it another 15 years

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
So this thread already happened a couple of months ago

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
I hate it when people say I have a question and then ask a question. That's 5 seconds of your life you can never get back.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Here is another one. You ask a question like 'what did you do today' and the reply is 'yeah! It was great, I went shopping....'

Why 'Yeah'???

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Very annoying I agree.
But the one that really twists my balls is " I'm not being funny but".
And maybe footballers who answer a question with "yeah no".

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
People who’s first word after being asked a question is the word SO.
I can’t tell you how much this annoys me at the moment.
So very this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here