Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What happened to Connelly at Luton?

Seeing his stats hes only played 2 games for them - guess that doesnt hold much hope of him playing first team football for us next year?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Seeing his stats hes only played 2 games for them - guess that doesnt hold much hope of him playing first team football for us next year?

Whenever I wonder if any of our u23s / DS will ever break into the first eleven, I recall this comment from The Large One (below) and go off and think about something else instead.

We had John Morling the Albion Academy Manager on the show this week...what he said afterwards (an hour really is a short space of time to let everyone know things) was to give an insight as to how a player can make it from U23 to senior level.

He said him and Chris Hughton and the senior management team have regular meetings, and at certain times Chris will ask John if there is anyone he believes ready to make the step up. If John suggests someone, they will be invited to train with the first team. When - and only when - Chris implicitly trusts them to do exactly what he wants them to do, he will consider them for the first team - of which the bench is usually the next step, when there's a space available.

For example, one player who has made the step up to the senior side 'would have trained 30 or 40 times with the first team squad' before being considered by Chris. It's not just a case of them being a decent footballer - it is totally the case that Chris has to trust them (he used that word deliberately) to do his given job(s).

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
I'll let you know - off to see Burton v Luton tomorrow

Be good to see Lua Lua get a second League One title

Burton doing a last home game pre match lap of honour - so end of match is all about Luton - a nice touch

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Burton doing a last home game pre match lap of honour - so end of match is all about Luton - a nice touch

I agree re Kazenga, it's good to see him back in love with football again.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Whenever I wonder if any of our u23s / DS will ever break into the first eleven, I recall this comment from The Large One (below) and go off and think about something else instead.

Strange claim

He had Nathan Redmond in the Birmingham side age 16 and had him playing against a Portuguese side in Europe in only his 2nd or 3rd appearance and Chris had only been in charge himself 3 or 4 matches

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Been there a couple of times and loved it

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Strange claim

He had Nathan Redmond in the Birmingham side age 16 and had him playing against a Portuguese side in Europe in only his 2nd or 3rd appearance and Chris had only been in charge himself 3 or 4 matches

Redmond was already in the first team squad when CH took over, according to Wiki.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Redmond was already in the first team squad when CH took over, according to Wiki.

My post was in reference to the post which says that the youngsters need to be with his first team squad and trusted to do a certain job before they are trusted to play in matches

''When - and only when - Chris implicitly trusts them to do exactly what he wants them to do, he will consider them for the first team - of which the bench is usually the next step, when there's a space available.

For example, one player who has made the step up to the senior side 'would have trained 30 or 40 times with the first team squad' before being considered by Chris. It's not just a case of them being a decent footballer - it is totally the case that Chris has to trust them (he used that word deliberately) to do his given job(s).
''

All I said was that he had a 16 year old in his side within 3 or 4 games of being in charge at the club himself playing in Europe

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
My post was in reference to the post which says that the youngsters need to be with his first team squad and trusted to do a certain job before they are trusted to play in matches

''When - and only when - Chris implicitly trusts them to do exactly what he wants them to do, he will consider them for the first team - of which the bench is usually the next step, when there's a space available.

''

All I said was that he had a 16 year old in his side within 3 or 4 games of being in charge at the club himself playing in Europe

I was intrigued so Wikid it, that's all. McCleish gave him his debut so, as you say, he will have trained at least 30 to 40 times with the first team.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

I'm sure we'll do that for Man City...

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I was intrigued so Wikid it, that's all. McCleish gave him his debut so, as you say, he will have trained at least 30 to 40 times with the first team.

That wasn't my post. That was the post I found strange. Because he wouldn't have trained 30 or 40 time under Chris. He got thrown in tp a match in Europe after only the 2nd or 3rd game of the season under CH

So I found that post hard to understand - I actually know it isn't true anyhow but I was trying to be polite about it to the poster

Your own post was bang on actually, he had played before in cameo appearances under Alex Mc Leish but I don't think he had started a game or if he had he hadn't played matches in full. I don't really recall all the details but apparently he was superb in that match against the Portuguese side

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
That wasn't my post. That was the post I found strange. Because he wouldn't have trained 30 or 40 time under Chris. He got thrown in tp a match in Europe after only the 2nd or 3rd game of the season under CH

So I found that post hard to understand - I actually know it isn't true anyhow but I was trying to be polite about it to the poster

Your own post was bang on actually, he had played before in cameo appearances under Alex Mc Leish but I don't think he had started a game or if he had he hadn't played matches in full. I don't really recall all the details but apparently he was superb in that match against the Portuguese side

I understand that but was only stating that Redmond would have trained with the first team 30 or 40 times fulfilling the criteria. Not under CH of course but it was still his choice to play the youngster. It gave me hope. The cynic in me wondered if CH wanted out of Europe!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Well. you've confused me. Here, below is the comment I quoted in my post, which was originally posted on NSC by The Large One, following an interview on The Albion Roar with John Morling the Albion Academy Manager.

We had John Morling the Albion Academy Manager on the show this week...what he said afterwards (an hour really is a short space of time to let everyone know things) was to give an insight as to how a player can make it from U23 to senior level.

He said him and Chris Hughton and the senior management team have regular meetings, and at certain times Chris will ask John if there is anyone he believes ready to make the step up. If John suggests someone, they will be invited to train with the first team. When - and only when - Chris implicitly trusts them to do exactly what he wants them to do, he will consider them for the first team - of which the bench is usually the next step, when there's a space available.

For example, one player who has made the step up to the senior side 'would have trained 30 or 40 times with the first team squad' before being considered by Chris.

This wasn't about Chris Hughton at Brimingham City 8 years ago. It was about Chris Hughton at Brighton and Hove Albion. So when you say you know it isn't true that means you are either (i) John Morling, (ii) Chris Hughton, or (iii) The Large One is just making stuff up.

Anyway, not that I particularly care either way. Let's just name check the U23s that have made the progression to the Albion match day starting 11 since Hughton has been our manager.

Oh.

Last edited:

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Well Lua Lua got subbed off having had one shot and missed

As for Connolly he was an unused sub

Burton everything we are not today - plenty of spirit and belief, able to raise their game when losing at home

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Forget him. I can tell you know that he will never be a half decent Champ or PL player for the simple reason we have never produced a striker of that quality. The odds are stacked.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
CH won’t let anyone near the first team until he’s drained every attacking notion out of them .

This takes longer for young strikers apparently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here