Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Career criminals scoop £4m Lotto win but are refused payout because

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
bosses think it was bought with ‘stolen bank card’.

Sorry I know it's The Sun but sometimes it's worth putting that to one side, for the story.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8941567/career-criminals-denied-lotto-win-stolen-debit-card/

If this is true, and it certainly seems that Mark & Jon-Ross are unlikely to outsmart the Lotto investigators.
I do hope, but seriously doubt, the £4,000,000 is reunited with the card from which it was purchased.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

Sorry I know it's The Sun but sometimes it's worth putting that to one side, for the story.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8941567/career-criminals-denied-lotto-win-stolen-debit-card/

If this is true, and it certainly seems that Mark & Jon-Ross are unlikely to outsmart the Lotto investigators.
I do hope, but seriously doubt, the £4,000,000 is reunited with the card from which it was purchased.

Oh Pleeeaaassee let Lotto do the decent thing and give the £4 mill to the poor sod whose card they stole.

That would be the perfect response...but when did anyone do the right thing in this shithouse country recently?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Oh Pleeeaaassee let Lotto do the decent thing and give the £4 mill to the poor sod whose card they stole.

That would be the perfect response...but when did anyone do the right thing in this shithouse country recently?

This.

Did I tell you that I’ve had my card stolen? I can prove it was this card - it had 16 numbers written right across the middle of it.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
This.

Did I tell you that I’ve had my card stolen? I can prove it was this card - it had 16 numbers written right across the middle of it.

If I swear in court that I saw these two bellends pinch your card can I have a holiday and a car?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Yep

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
The report said they bought the winning ticket in Waitrose. Looking at them I'm surprised that suspicions weren't first alerted at the point of sale as they certainly don't fit any Waitrose customer profile. Only two possible reasons for them being in Waitrose, they were either on the rob or shopping on someone else's stolen card.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Just pay the winnings to the card account.

Pay the 4mill. to righful owner .

I was about to contradict this viewpoint, on the grounds that as the card owner would have almost certainly reported it stolen and recovered any fraudulent spending, the logical conclusion of your suggestion is that the money would be paid to the credit card company.

Then I read it properly and see it was a DEBIT card, so it almost certainly WAS the card owner's money used to buy the ticket.

So, yes, I'm IN.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
The report said they bought the winning ticket in Waitrose. Looking at them I'm surprised that suspicions weren't first alerted at the point of sale as they certainly don't fit any Waitrose customer profile. Only two possible reasons for them being in Waitrose, they were either on the rob or shopping on someone else's stolen card.

Scumbags shop everywhere, there is no profile for a Waitrose customer or Morrisons customer.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
"Asked whose plastic it was, claimants Mark Goodram and Jon-Ross Watson named a mystery friend called “John” — but could not give his surname, address or phone number....and said he had disappeared “up North”."

"Goodram — with 22 convictions for 45 criminal offences...is understood to have been released on police licence from jail just days before the win."

Sounds completely legit to me.

:lol: :banana:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Scumbags shop everywhere, there is no profile for a Waitrose customer or Morrisons customer.

Oh, that's not true. In a previous life, I worked as a number cruncher for a supermarket chain and one of the things that we did was identify who was likely to shop at a particular outlet. This was in the early days of analytics, so the methods we used were very crude - they're a lot more sophisticated these days.

Back to the subject in question: I'm not sure how Camelot knows it was bought with a debit card but doesn't know the number of the card, that's not made clear in the story

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
"Asked whose plastic it was, claimants Mark Goodram and Jon-Ross Watson named a mystery friend called “John” — but could not give his surname, address or phone number....and said he had disappeared “up North”."

Perhaps it was the same person that was driving Katie Price's car when it crashed

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Back to the subject in question: I'm not sure how Camelot knows it was bought with a debit card but doesn't know the number of the card, that's not made clear in the story

I would have thought that GDPR would make such a scenario the most likely - no?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Oh, that's not true. In a previous life, I worked as a number cruncher for a supermarket chain and one of the things that we did was identify who was likely to shop at a particular outlet. This was in the early days of analytics, so the methods we used were very crude - they're a lot more sophisticated these days.

I suspect they know the number and details of the card, but are keeping that for when our two friends eventually find a 'mate' with a bank account who will claim it was their card that was used :wink:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
How are they paying for all that booze if they were 'down to their loose change' and Camelot haven't paid out ?

Anyway, really, really hope they get **** all apart from a jail sentence, and the prize goes to the cardholder. ****s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here