Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Career criminals scoop £4m Lotto win but are refused payout because

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
What if the card holder is a criminal, too? Would you be happy for the lottery to give £4m to, say, an OAP mugger who hadn't bought a lotto ticket?

Yup. I kind of alluded to this possibility earlier in the thread.

Given that we now live in Broken Britain, you can almost guarantee that the owner of the stolen card will most likely turn out to have a backstory that makes them even more undeserving of the money than the lowlife who stole the card.

Just give the £4m to Great Ormond Street Hospital and move on.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Best story ever.

The good news is that you've won four million pounds, congratulations. The bad news is, that you stole someone's debit card, so you can't have the four million. Unlucky ****s.

They've also spent the last of their money on celebrating and gloating whilst awaiting the winnings.

oops

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Well, quite. Fortunately, not an issue at our branch in Saffron Walden, obvs.

I was in the one in the White City Westfield last month (yes it's Shepherds Bush, but it's VERY CONVENIENT if you live in Notting Hill) and witnessed an argument at the fish counter regarding the last piece of Hake.

I thought it was going to kick off but luckily the well trained staff managed to control the situation via the offer some wild pacific salmon.

Total professionalism. I would have gone in there with some farmed stuff, but retrospectively realise I would have made the situation worse.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I was in the one in the White City Westfield last month (yes it's Shepherds Bush, but it's VERY CONVENIENT if you live in Notting Hill) and witnessed an argument at the fish counter regarding the last piece of Hake.

I thought it was going to kick off but luckily the well trained staff managed to control the situation via the offer some wild pacific salmon.

Total professionalism. I would have gone in there with some farmed stuff, but retrospectively realise I would have made the situation worse.

That wild Alaskan salmon is bloody lovely. 25% off at the moment too.

Westfield :lol:

:wink:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
bosses think it was bought with ‘stolen bank card’.

Sorry I know it's The Sun but sometimes it's worth putting that to one side, for the story.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8941567/career-criminals-denied-lotto-win-stolen-debit-card/

If this is true, and it certainly seems that Mark & Jon-Ross are unlikely to outsmart the Lotto investigators.
I do hope, but seriously doubt, the £4,000,000 is reunited with the card from which it was purchased.

But they probably stole it from an equally criminal mate of theirs!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Purchase is null and void. Cost of ticket(s) refunded to card owner, as with any other purchases made. Lottery money goes back into the prize fund as if ticket didn’t exist.
Thieves to jail hopefully.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"The lotto operator suspects they bought the winning ticket with a stolen bank card."

Is there no way for the shop to check who owns the bank card that was used to pay for the ticket, and therefore to check whether or not the owner consented to it's use?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
"The lotto operator suspects they bought the winning ticket with a stolen bank card."

Is there no way for the shop to check who owns the bank card that was used to pay for the ticket, and therefore to check whether or not the owner consented to it's use?

I’d speculate that the legit owner of said card has absolutely no knowledge that these two toerags “borrowed” their debit card.

I’d also be interested to know why they gave the owner a tenner to allow them to buy this ticket. The last time I checked one can buy a lottery scratch card with cash. I’m delighted that these two clowns have borrowed loads of dough in anticipation of receiving their 4 million notes...their creditors must be delighted.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Giving those two £4 million would be the worst thing that could ever happen to them.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Obviously the scrotes morally should not get a penny but really wonder how this plays out legally. The purchase of the ticket was legitimate and wonder how a judge will see Camelot trying to take a moral stance as the basis of not paying out. And also mystified as to why the owner of the stolen card thinks they are entitled to anything? They can hardly argue that they were going to buy that particular scratch card from that retailer on that specific day.

Best result would be for the payout to be refused and the money put back into the pot or paid out to charity. Not the greatest career criminals are they when they didn't realise that their best option was to approach the card holder to broker a deal. Some sort of cash share deal would soon persuade the owner to drop all charges relating to the theft of the card.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Reap what you sow! Winnings should go back into the pot or to 2nd place if relevant. Cardholder should be refunded by bank. Crooks to jail.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
And also mystified as to why the owner of the stolen card thinks they are entitled to anything? They can hardly argue that they were going to buy that particular scratch card from that retailer on that specific day. .

Of course, but for 4m, you'd have to give it a go..

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not having read through the whole thread but surely they don’t know who the owner of the card is and never will know unless they can CCTV them in the shop at the time and match it..? But chances are it wasn’t Waitrose at that time surely?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here