Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 1979 Brighton promotion team on the pitch Saturday

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I was there, if I remember rightly arrived late on the SS train ? Grabbed a bit of turf from the pitch........................anyone still got the tile signed by all the squad ?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
My 16th birthday. Spent most of it on the (dry) 3rd Seagull Special that was delayed and arrived late. Just as we got in the ground, the first goal went in and we managed to bundle our way to a better viewing spot.

Recall running on the pitch at the end and standing on a concrete crash barrier in front of the main stand as the players returned to take their plaudits.

Lawro didn't play of course, as he'd broken his arm. Quite a day.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I was there that day as an 18 year old having been driven up overnight in my uncle's Vauxhall Viva.
What was the Albion line-up that day?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Remember walking from the station to the ground, not daring to speak in case those loitering heard our southern accents.

The match result was never in doubt.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
One of my favourite football trivia questions, although fairly easy for Brighton fans I guess.

In the last match of the 78/79 season, Brighton won 3-1 away at Newcastle to gain promotion
In the last match of the 83/84 season, Newcastle won 3-1 at home to Brighton to gain promotion

One player scored in both games. Who?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was there, if I remember rightly arrived late on the SS train ? Grabbed a bit of turf from the pitch........................anyone still got the tile signed by all the squad ?

I used to have one (and one signed by the 3rd division promotion squad) along with all the John Vinicombe books. I thought they were in a box in the loft, but I was up there recently and none of it was there :( Probably got thrown out accidentally when we had the loft extension done.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
One of my favourite football trivia questions, although fairly easy for Brighton fans I guess.

In the last match of the 78/79 season, Brighton won 3-1 away at Newcastle to gain promotion
In the last match of the 83/84 season, Newcastle won 3-1 at home to Brighton to gain promotion

One player scored in both games. Who?

Must be Gerry Ryan

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
I was living in Liverpool at the time and was one of a car load of people who drove across to Newcastle for the game. Great memories, including collecting a bit of turf. However, estimates of our support that day have grown over the intervening years. No way did we take 10,000. 6,000 or 7,000 maybe.

D

Deleted member 2719

Forget the 40 year anniversary and who we are playing.

The real heroes who played for the stripes against Hereford should be on there telling our boys how they saved us from dropping out of a league which is difficult to rejoin.

After all this is a relegation battle.

Barber still thinking of spurs, it's blurred his thinking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here