Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Chris Packham

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
His gate was vandalised this morning, with dead birds hung by their necks. I've seen the picture on Twitter but it is distressing so I won't post it here.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...kham-s-home-as-petition-for-his-a4126486.html

There is a petition doing thew rounds calling for him to be taken on the BBC because he is involved in anti hunting organisations. Apparently this is a conflict of interest and people on TV should not be airing their opinions about stuff.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I watched his documentary about Aspergers with my Aspie boy a couple of years ago. He connected and identified with Chris Packham more than any other person on the spectrum. It was around the time that my boy was getting an in-depth understanding of himself and this film was a cornerstone of that process. I can't thank Chris Packham enough for sharing his story and illuminating some shadowy corners of a young man's self.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Fortunately 94k people have signed a petition to tell BBC NOT to sack him.

Regards the wild bird population are you seriously saying that foxes are the main cause of their decline rather than the destruction of their habitat by mankind.

Next you will be saying foxes are behind the rise in knife crime now that they have moved into the cities.

No that’s not at all what he’s saying......did you even read his post ?
He used the fox as example of a species that has no natural predators. He said crows and rooks without management will result in a decline in our small bird population.
This is fact, not fiction. Having seen crows taking freshly hatched chicks out of their nest isn’t the most pleasant thing I’ve ever seen.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Evolution seems to have found a way of ensuring they still exist though?

Even before farmers discovered guns.

I think that’s the point in question, they are thriving despite being controlled, imagine what happens if there is no control in place.

Whatever you think of farmers, they don’t just go round blasting things out of the sky for fun, there is a reason they do it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think that’s the point in question, they are thriving despite being controlled, imagine what happens if there is no control in place.

Whatever you think of farmers, they don’t just go round blasting things out of the sky for fun, there is a reason they do it.

How did they control them before farmers? All those millions of years, you'd think there would be no song birds at all.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
How did they control them before farmers? All those millions of years, you'd think there would be no song birds at all.
Well I guess without farming there was not the same amount of food source for them, and they didn’t reproduce to the same levels. as they have now.
There’s a reason it’s called a murder of crows, I won’t post it on here but google crow pecked lambs.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well I guess without farming there was not the same amount of food source for them, and they didn’t reproduce to the same levels. as they have now.
There’s a reason it’s called a murder of crows, I won’t post it on here but google crow pecked lambs.

Yes, I know. I think dogs do more damage to lambs than crows.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
And I must add, I’m not some blood thirsty shotgun lunatic, I’m avidly against shooting for shooting sake, I refuse point blank to go on pheasant and grouse shoots as I don’t agree with birds being bred to be shot.....but I do understand the need to control predatory species that are becoming out of control.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Yes, I know. I think dogs do more damage to lambs than crows.

I agree, that’s why a farmer can shoot a dog worrying his flock, but in all honesty, it’s not the dog at fault it’s the owner, that’s a whole other issue. Dogs can be controlled or should be controlled by their owner, corvids can’t.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
i`m sure if one was started he`d get 92000 people supporting him.

As a farmer if the rooks/ crows dig up my seed crops and the pigeons start decimating my rape crops , I`m shooting them or getting others to.

Like the fox, Crows Rooks etc have no natural predator and left alone they would decimate small bird population.

Careful now, the General License has been revoked. https://basc.org.uk/shooting/general-licences/

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
No that’s not at all what he’s saying......did you even read his post ?
He used the fox as example of a species that has no natural predators. He said crows and rooks without management will result in a decline in our small bird population.
This is fact, not fiction. Having seen crows taking freshly hatched chicks out of their nest isn’t the most pleasant thing I’ve ever seen.

They are decimating the small bird population but who cares about that?

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
They are decimating the small bird population but who cares about that?

Even the RSPB realise the need for pest control, like I said earlier I’m not a gun toting toff by any stretch, but I do understand countryside management, and a ban on pest control will have a lasting effect on our native small and song bird population.
This legal action has been taken by a new organisation and thankfully many other organisations recognise the lasting damage it will do, I feel sorry for the 1100 people that donated to the crowdfund that ultimately will have wasted their money on what will turn out to be just a loophole.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
He has stated numerous times he prefers animals to people. One of the many things we agree on.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Careful now, the General License has been revoked. https://basc.org.uk/shooting/general-licences/

If there`s 1000 pigeons on a farmers rape crop (which in winter there can be ) I don`t think he`d worry about applying for a licence.

Half an hour at least on the phone to natural England. Answer phone because it`s a saturday. Please ring back monday. Monday another hour being passed from pillar to post. We`ll send a form out. Form arrives wednesday.
Unbelievably complicated another hour on phone to get through to someone who does know what they are talking about. Two weeks later license to shoot pigeons arrives. But no rape left and pigeons have moved to neighbours.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Next there be a petition for more songbirds which we need and want . Then there put 2+2 together and realise that the crows and magpies and the like have been decimating them and demanding a cull and quite right to imo .I have a mistle thrush nesting in the garden every year and the ruddy magpies get there chicks. Shoot em

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Next there be a petition for more songbirds which we need and want . Then there put 2+2 together and realise that the crows and magpies and the like have been decimating them and demanding a cull and quite right to imo .I have a mistle thrush nesting in the garden every year and the ruddy magpies get there chicks. Shoot em

Springwatch monitored a blue tit's nesting box but a green woodpecker found it and eat every one of the fledgelings as they left the nest. Rooks, crows and magpies get all the bad publicity but nobody is talking about going round shooting woodpeckers.
It is nature.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here