Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Israel Folau - Christian Martyr

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
There's been an interesting response to this thread and there have been some very eloquent replies. Personally I don't like the fact that he lost his job because he posted his views on social media any more than the nurse who was sacked a few years ago for wearing a cross on a chain to work in a hospital. If people want to express their views then that's fine by me.
No-one on this forum, whether they be drunkards, inebriates, homosexuals or fornicators, have actually said they were upset with his comments.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
There's been an interesting response to this thread and there have been some very eloquent replies. Personally I don't like the fact that he lost his job because he posted his views on social media any more than the nurse who was sacked a few years ago for wearing a cross on a chain to work in a hospital. If people want to express their views then that's fine by me.
No-one on this forum, whether they be drunkards, inebriates, homosexuals or fornicators, have actually said they were upset with his comments.
Drunkards and inebriates are the same in my opinion and so for that reason I’m OUT.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Was it brave or just foolhardy for Falau to express his Christian beliefs on-line. Should he have lost his career?

Firstly, as pointed out elsewhere, Martyrs historically died horrible deaths. It is not the right word.

Secondly, in terms of losing his career, I did a course which included a module on assertiveness many, many years ago. One of the main things I got from that was that, if you say something which could cause offence or upset others, you have to be prepared to take the consequences. He should have realised - and quite possibly did realise - that what he was doing could end his career.

I have just read that he is thinking of suing over religious discrimination. If it was in this country, I would not be surprised to see he had the backing of the "Christian legal Centre", or whatever the body is called, which backs this sort of case in this country. I do not know whether there is an Australian equivalent!

But the views are not "mainstream" Christian thinking, and as others have already pointed out on here, Mr Christ himself never said anything about homosexuality, never condemned anyone and never judged anyone. He challenged people and made them think, yes, but was accepting and forgiving of people who, according to the Jewish traditions he was part of in his lifetime, he should have detested, reviled or whatever - prostitutes, Romans, tax collectors, Samaritans!

And he also said: "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" in response to the stoning of a woman caught in adultery.

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
I think what is largely being missed in this debate is the effect that Folau’s comments could have on others. I don’t have too much of a problem with people being free to express their opinions, but when those opinions affect others, it’s different. People can choose whether they commit adultery, or drink alcohol, but Folau is insinuating that being gay is simply a choice. And it’s exactly that viewpoint that, when it becomes normalised, that has led to suicide and mental illness rates among the gay community being tragically high.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The guy is really not helping himself...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-50455162

Rugby player Israel Folau has drawn anger for linking Australia's bushfire crisis to the nation's same-sex marriage and abortion laws.

Folau, who was sacked by Australia in May for making anti-gay remarks on social media, described the fires as a "little taste of God's judgement".

Folau, who is Christian, gave a sermon in his Sydney church on Sunday in which he said Australia's decision to pass abortion and same-sex marriage laws had gone against "God's word", adding the nation needed to "repent".

"Look how rapid, these bushfires, these droughts, all these things have come, in a short period of time. You think it's a coincidence or not?,"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here