Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Doorstep Crime.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Without putting the frighteners on anyone, I just wanted to post this video, which brings things closer to home than one realises.
Up here there has been a spate of fraudulent cold callers, targeting the vulnerable.
Not enough words to describe the people who carry this out :thumbsup:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Had one earlier suggesting they were my car insurers (who I had recently renewed with) wanted a load of details.

Told them to email me a number and I’ll call them back (after checking address etc) and they said they wouldn’t be doing that.

So I went through “security” with the follow details

Derek Trotter
Apartment 100
Nelson Mandela Avenue
London
SW1 1AA

They didn’t batter an eyelid which shows how little they had

Had to stop when they asked about vehicle as they didn’t understand what a Reliant was, amateurs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Had one earlier suggesting they were my car insurers (who I had recently renewed with) wanted a load of details.

Told them to email me a number and I’ll call them back (after checking address etc) and they said they wouldn’t be doing that.

So I went through “security” with the follow details

Derek Trotter
Apartment 100
Nelson Mandela Avenue
London
SW1 1AA

They didn’t batter an eyelid which shows how little they had

Had to stop when they asked about vehicle as they didn’t understand what a Reliant was, amateurs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s fake. It’s Nelson Mandela HOUSE

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
What I don't understand these days is when a company call me they ask for certain details to confirm who I am and then get very irritated when I refuse to answer, stating how they called me and so must know who I am. 9 times out of 10 the conversation stops there and I call them back. Sometimes I'll ask them about myself and they wont give out the answer for security reasons which adds to my point of not giving them any information.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
The ones that say phone bills going down from next month...I simply say "Great thanks for letting me know" and put phone down.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What I don't understand these days is when a company call me they ask for certain details to confirm who I am and then get very irritated when I refuse to answer, stating how they called me and so must know who I am. 9 times out of 10 the conversation stops there and I call them back. Sometimes I'll ask them about myself and they wont give out the answer for security reasons which adds to my point of not giving them any information.

It's a ridiculous system isn't you. You rang me...and are now asking me to prove who I am. Bizarre.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It's a ridiculous system isn't you. You rang me...and are now asking me to prove who I am. Bizarre.

It is. But it isn't just just cold callers and scammers that do it. HMRC do that too - it's a speciality of Debt Management Unit. I have tried explaining to them about Data Protection and that as the data controller it is my responsibility to satisfy myself as to the identity of the caller. They don't get it so I refuse to provide any information and terminate the call. Idiots!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I had a call a while back (while I was out for the day with the family) to say they had heard I had been in an accident and could claim compensation blah, blah, blah. Quite obviously a load of bollox as I was enjoying a nice pub lunch at the time. Proceeded to ask the woman on the phone if I was OK, and if my wife had been informed. I started getting quite emotional, saying I hoped the kids would be provided for if I didn't make it etc, and asked which hospital I was in so they could come and see me one last time....eventually she put the phone down on me.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I had a call a while back (while I was out for the day with the family) to say they had heard I had been in an accident and could claim compensation blah, blah, blah. Quite obviously a load of bollox as I was enjoying a nice pub lunch at the time. Proceeded to ask the woman on the phone if I was OK, and if my wife had been informed. I started getting quite emotional, saying I hoped the kids would be provided for if I didn't make it etc, and asked which hospital I was in so they could come and see me one last time....eventually she put the phone down on me.

I've had a couple of those. I usually say 'which accident as I've had so many recently?.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
My standard reply when I get the "you've had an accident" call is "yes, yes I did. Recently."

When they ask me what happened, audibly excited they've hooked someone, I tell them "..my head fell off whilst I was at work."

They always put the phone down on me, and I have a little chuckle. I'm easily pleased. :lolol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've had a couple of those. I usually say 'which accident as I've had so many recently?.

Same - if I have a bit of time to play around first question I ask is 'which accident ?'

'Oh, you've had an accident ?'
'Have I ? You told me I had......which accident are you talking about ?'

etc etc........before I get to the rant about parasite calls etc

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Same - if I have a bit of time to play around first question I ask is 'which accident ?'

'Oh, you've had an accident ?'
'Have I ? You told me I had......which accident are you talking about ?'

etc etc........before I get to the rant about parasite calls etc
What a job though calling 100’s of people about an accident they haven’t had. Must work though when I was at school I had this job cold calling for free design and plan of a new kitchen used to get loads of takers and about 1-5 bought a kitchen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here