Stephens
Bissouma
Pascal
March
Andone, but itll be Murray sadly

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Easy picks: Ryan, Dunk, Duffy, Stephens, March ...
... and, if he's fully recovered, and up to playing another intense 90 minutes four days after his first 90 in months, Gross

Debates:
RB: Bruno or Montoya? As much as I love Bruno, I'm not convinced we can guarantee 90 minutes out of him, especially given the regularity with which he's been substituted when he's started this season (and we really need to have as much flexibility as possible with our substitutions), so it's Montoya for me.
LB: Bong or Bernardo? Bong gives defensive solidity, Bernardo is clearly the better player and provides a more attacking threat. I'm going to throw a wild card out here, and suggest starting them both, with Bernardo starting as our left winger.
CM: Kayal or Bissouma? I've no idea
Out wide: I've picked these already. Knockaert can't be trusted, and Locadia and Jahanbakhsh simply haven't done enough to warrant a start. Izquierdo isn't quite fit and I'd rather we used him as an impact sub, which leaves us with finding another starting option: see LB above.
ACM: we've had most success with a 4-4-1-1 formation, and it's got to be Gross playing in this role
Up-front: Murray or Andone? Tempted to start Murray, not because he's done much in 2019, but because he's our best finisher.
So:

--------------------------- Ryan -----------------------------
Montoya ------------ Duffy ------- Dunk --------- Bong
March -- Stephens -- Kayal/Bissouma -- Bernardo
------------------- Gross -------------------------------------
------------------------- Murray ------------------------------

Subs: Button, Balogun, Kayal/Bissouma, Izquierdo, Jahanbakhsh, Locadia, Andone

Kman

Mar 30, 2019
I don't want Andone anywhere near the starting line up with that attitude that seems a red card is on it's way every time he sets foot on the pitch. Can't carry any liabilities or lightweights or faint hearts on Saturday

you just described Anthony Knockeart.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’m really surprised that some are calling for Izzy to start. He has done nothing all season.
Looks like he needs an operation and a good pre-season to get back to his form from last season. I’d be very surprised if Casbom’s 4-4-1-1 below is not rolled out on Saturday evening. The subs almost pick themselves with Balogun (74 career appearances as a right back) meaning Bong is preferred to Montoya.

Ryan

Bruno
Duffy
Dunk
Bernardo

March
Stephens
Kayal
Knocky

Groß

Murray

Subs:

Ali J
Andone
Locadia
Balogun
Bong
Button
Bissouma

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
--------------------------------------------Ryan-----------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------Dunk-----------------------------------------------------

Montoya--March--Duffy--Gross--Murray--Stephens--Bong--Bissouma--Bernardo

Here we ****ing go! :rave: :ascarf:

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
——————Ryan————————
Bruno—Duffy——— Dunk—Bernardo
—————————————————
Knockaert—Kayal—Stephens—March
————————Gross——————-
————————Andone——————

Subs
Button
Balogun
Burn
Bissouma(Pröpper)
Izquierdo
Locadia
Murray

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Ryan

Bruno Duffy Dunk Bernardo

March Stephens Bissouma Knockaert

Gross
Andone

This would be the basis of my starting line up but with one difference - I would play Kayal alongside Stephens and have Bissouma instead of Gross behind Andone.

Bissouma drives forward at defenders and could be a real threat in that role - the Newcastle centre backs won’t be comfortable dealing with pacey players running at them which is what Bissouma and Andone would do.

Knocky simply has to return because he’s a better option than AJ, Locadia or the unfit Izquierdo - so he’ll be lucky to get given the chance after letting us down against Bmuff, but maybe he’ll take the opportunity to redeem himself and score a winner like he did at Palace !

I thought Bernardo was excellent last night and must start ahead of Bong.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Murray FFS

NO,

In yesterday’s online Argus CH told Kayal to grab his chance and then played him for just a few minutes, WTF :rolleyes:

One can only hope he was saving him for Saturday.....but I doubt it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Cast iron certainties in my view will be:
Ryan
Dunk
Duffy
Stephens

That's a tad disappointing that as many as 7 positions are up for grabs!
That is a reflection of how poorly the whole squad has been performing since Xmas.

It's a risk, but we have to win, so personally I would start with both Andone and Knockheart, even though we could end up playing with 9 men if the ref is in a bad mood!

I think I'd prefer Bruno and Bernardo, although I won't be gutted if Montoya and/or Bong start.

That leaves 3 'midfield' spots to fill.

Nobody has shown any inclination to take on the 'playmaker' role this season, so I'm opting for Gross to play that position and hope he gets back to last year's best.
I'd play Solly March on the other wing to Knocky, which just leaves the other central position to fill.

Up until last night I would have chosen Kayal, but Bissouma had a very good game against Spurs, and although he's always got a potential catastrophic mistake in his game, he's clearly a far more dangerous player going forwards than KK, so he would be my final choice.

So ............

Ryan

March Stephens Bissouma Knockheart

Gross
Andone

Subs: (feck it, lets go for it)
Button
Murray
Kayal
Ali J
Izzy
Locadia
Gyokeres
Connolly (recall him)
Mitrovic (sign him)
Maupay (him too)

I’m not sure why we bothered singing Mitrovic if Andone’s starting ahead of him.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Cast iron certainties in my view will be:
Ryan
Dunk
Duffy
Stephens

That's a tad disappointing that as many as 7 positions are up for grabs!
That is a reflection of how poorly the whole squad has been performing since Xmas.

It's a risk, but we have to win, so personally I would start with both Andone and Knockheart, even though we could end up playing with 9 men if the ref is in a bad mood!

I think I'd prefer Bruno and Bernardo, although I won't be gutted if Montoya and/or Bong start.

That leaves 3 'midfield' spots to fill.

Nobody has shown any inclination to take on the 'playmaker' role this season, so I'm opting for Gross to play that position and hope he gets back to last year's best.
I'd play Solly March on the other wing to Knocky, which just leaves the other central position to fill.

Up until last night I would have chosen Kayal, but Bissouma had a very good game against Spurs, and although he's always got a potential catastrophic mistake in his game, he's clearly a far more dangerous player going forwards than KK, so he would be my final choice.

So ............

Ryan

March Stephens Bissouma Knockheart

Gross
Andone

Subs: (feck it, lets go for it)
Button
Murray
Kayal
Ali J
Izzy
Locadia
Gyokeres
Connolly (recall him)
Mitrovic (sign him)
Maupay (him too)

Signing Mitrovic this late in season to be sub 9/10. Cunning move !

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
What I think will happen …

Shape

The only way Hughton would consider 4-4-1-1 in the Prem is if he has two centre mids he can trust not to get caught the wrong side. With Propper out, he doesn’t feel as though he has that. So we will play 4-5-1

The Knockeart conundrum

Hughton doesn’t want to play Knocky, he prefers Ali J as a person and prefers the unfussy low risk approach. However, after agonising, he realises that we need a goal and so he has to swallow his pride and risk playing Knockeart.

Full Backs

Both a marginal selection decisions. He will play Montoya and Bernardo for reasons for fitness and technique respectively

Centre Mid

Gross will play deep with Stephens. He rates Bissouma over Kayal, we’ve seen this many times. He’ll be marginally further forward

Left wing

Solly is hot and cold, but he is direct, tracks back and listens to orders. He’s clearly above, a half fit Izquierdo, a struggling Ali J and an out of position Locadia. Solly plays

Up front

He trusts Murray to lead the line at home. Murray plays

Hughton’s line up v Newcastle

----------------Ryan

-----Montoya Dunk Duffy Bernardo

Knocky Gross, Stephens, Bissouma, March

-----------------Murray

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
With hindsight, I am now unsure. I think this is the toughest selection CH has to make all season.
Yep. People mocked the team selection for the game against Spurs, and then the team went and performed well.

I'd go for Andone rather than Murray. If we then need a goal at the end, and Newcastle are defending deep, that's when I'd want Murray on.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Unfortunately he didnt as he took a ridiculous long range shot in the last few minutes giving them possession which culminated in them scoring.
We didn't manage to keep possession at any point during the game, so if he hadn't shot, we'd have lost possession soon enough. And when he shot, how many of us were thinking it was a mistake? I was thinking it was ok that he was having a go, as the alternative was a pass or two before losing the ball anyway. And it's not like we were out of shape and beaten on the break, we were beaten by a great strike.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
We didn't manage to keep possession at any point during the game, so if he hadn't shot, we'd have lost possession soon enough. And when he shot, how many of us were thinking it was a mistake? I was thinking it was ok that he was having a go, as the alternative was a pass or two before losing the ball anyway. And it's not like we were out of shape and beaten on the break, we were beaten by a great strike.

The commentator on the stream I was watching said something like his manager would've been urging him to run to the corner.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I’d assume Bruno and Bong will rotate back in after their excellent performances at Wolves.
If we're set up to defend, like against Wolves, Bruno can sit deep no problem. If we're at home and trying to take the game to the opposition, I'm concerned that Bruno doesn't have the pace to get back and defend when we lose the ball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here