Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are We The Baddies?

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
I've noticed a discernible difference in the way we're now perceived by other fans.

Earlier in the season we seemed to enjoy quite a lot of goodwill (everyone's favourite away day, etc) but the way we're playing at the moment seems to have provoked a wholesale shift in opinion whereby most non-Albion folk would now rather see us relegated, not because of who we are but because of the style (or lack thereof) of our football.

It's bad enough being in this position but everyone hating us more than Cardiff and Warnock?

That hurts...

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Nope

5E7A4801-DB22-4223-8F24-8C3163434875.jpeg

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I've noticed a discernible difference in the way we're now perceived by other fans.

Earlier in the season we seemed to enjoy quite a lot of goodwill (everyone's favourite away day, etc) but the way we're playing at the moment seems to have provoked a wholesale shift in opinion whereby most non-Albion folk would now rather see us relegated, not because of who we are but because of the style (or lack thereof) of our football.

It's bad enough being in this position but everyone hating us more than Cardiff and Warnock?

That hurts...

Objectively, we are the most boring team in the league. If I was not a Brighton fan I would be gladly shot of our dull football. I guess many London teams would rather come to The Amex than a trip to Wales so probably just have geography on our side.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It is a consequence of our play at the moment.

I get it at work from people who used to think we were a decent side and looked out for our results...plucky little old brighton with a decent ground and decent manager....now it is all about our negative play.." anti football " ..boring cheating and only capable of " parking a fleet of busses". It actually started after the semi final when a lot of people thought we bottled it and just wanted to stop city and then hopefully get lucky with a set piece.

Most spuds fans I spoke to today thought Ryan's time wasting from the first minute was pathetic and set the scene for our tactics.

How the mighty fall.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We are to some, not to others.

The media have started to hate on us because, frankly, our games are not very interesting. They've got a whole lot of Premier League product to sell and one team whose pragmatic approach is as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit. The dismissive comments after the semi from Linekar and co proved that one. Last night Sky practically creamed themselves when Spurs finally scored. We're dull, we waste time, we have players no one has heard of with difficult names and we never, ever score. We are now also perceived as dirty.

I posted this on another thread but I think the chances of us getting any support overseas and tapping in to another revenue stream for Tony there are zero at the moment. Who wants to be the only Indonesian or Thai or Korean in the bar supporting that team that never score, especially if the game is in the middle of the night local time. The relatively attractive football played by Wolves or even Bournemouth must be far more appealing.

I'm not sure your average Liverpool or Man City fan cares one bit who else stays up or goes down though.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I don't really care to be honest.

That said, I do think a large amount of football fans are fairly casual supporters, especially in the Premier League and don't really appreciate that 'parking the bus' or playing with a more defensive minded approach is pretty much a necessity when you are coming up against some world class players. I completely agree with those who say Hughton's approach is too negative at times but vs a side who are in the semi finals of the Champions League, I don't think you can really criticise our performance last night. It is our performances against the likes of Cardiff, Bournemouth and Southampton at home in the second half of this season which we should rightly be castigated for as we looked offensively completely clueless but we should be creating chances against teams of that ilk.

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I know a few people at work who watch practically everything football on Sky but they said they turned off at half time and wouldn't bother to watch us again unless it was against their team.

:nono:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
You're competing with Cardiff. No-one (except Leeds and possibly Millwall) could be considered baddies compared with Cardiff.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Hi
I posted this on another thread but I think the chances of us getting any support overseas and tapping in to another revenue stream for Tony there are zero at the moment. Who wants to be the only Indonesian or Thai or Korean in the bar supporting that team that never score, especially if the game is in the middle of the night local time. The relatively attractive football played by Wolves or even Bournemouth must be far more appealing.

We did gain some Iranian fans but not sure if they’ve stayed. Still seem to have a few tourists at each home match.

Lush

Mods' Pet
It is a consequence of our play at the moment.

I get it at work from people who used to think we were a decent side and looked out for our results...plucky little old brighton with a decent ground and decent manager....now it is all about our negative play.." anti football " ..boring cheating and only capable of " parking a fleet of busses". It actually started after the semi final when a lot of people thought we bottled it and just wanted to stop city and then hopefully get lucky with a set piece.

Most spuds fans I spoke to today thought Ryan's time wasting from the first minute was pathetic and set the scene for our tactics.

How the mighty fall.

We mainly get those accusations from supporters of the big teams who think they should be putting a ton of goals past us - and are frustrated when they don't.

Despite taking a large number of goal kicks, Ryan didn't get booked for wasting time for any of them yesterday, and refs aren't usually shy of doing so.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Hi

We did gain some Iranian fans but not sure if they’ve stayed. Still seem to have a few tourists at each home match.

When the lion of judea, Percy tau is revealed to be the next messi, we will have a hoard of saffies hating us too as well as the Iranians and homophobic Romanians if Facebook is anything to go by!

MORTY

Jan 9, 2007
Basingstoke
It's trendy to say "anti football" at the moment that's all.

People who don't understand football say it to make it look like they do know about football.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Disliked a lot due to the sudden influx of fans who spout off on social media and think we are some sort of big club.

We are perceived as a very plastic middle class lot.

Not ideal but prob not far off the truth

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
We are getting the reputation as the most negative team to ever play in the premier league. When spurs scored last night the nation rejoiced.
In these difficult political times with the country split down the middle we are doing our bit to unite the rest of the uk. Remainers and brexiters hugging each other when Brighton's negative tactics come unstuck in the 88th minute.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here