Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are We The Baddies?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Chelsea won the Champions League playing like that against Barcelona and Bayern Munich. Funnily enough, the national media seemed to think it was fine for them to be ultra-defensive when they came up against opposition that was different class. One rule for the rich....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've noticed a discernible difference in the way we're now perceived by other fans.

Earlier in the season we seemed to enjoy quite a lot of goodwill (everyone's favourite away day, etc) but the way we're playing at the moment seems to have provoked a wholesale shift in opinion whereby most non-Albion folk would now rather see us relegated, not because of who we are but because of the style (or lack thereof) of our football.

It's bad enough being in this position but everyone hating us more than Cardiff and Warnock?

That hurts...

Don't care :shrug:

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Despite taking a large number of goal kicks, Ryan didn't get booked for wasting time for any of them yesterday, and refs aren't usually shy of doing so.
Shouldn’t have kept kicking the ball out then, should they?
Time taken was consistent by Ryan. Spuds were just a little tetchy

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Yeah we’re not liked. Obviously know a lot of Saints fans but also mates who are Spurs, Arsenal, Bournemouth and obviously Palace fans who slate us. Even had Pompey and Ipswich fans I know laying in to us today which seemed a bit rich! I wouldn’t even start looking at other fans opinions on Twitter though the Dunk and Duffy appreciation was funny last night.

I still think we get an easier ride than maybe we would because the universally liked Hughton is our manager. If we had someone like Puel in charge we would be absolutely annihalated by fans and media.

Who cares. We need to do what we do and stay up. Couldn't give a hoot what any other fans think ?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I suppose that if TB wants us to be liked by neutrals he will suggest to Chris Hughton that we look to play a more entertaining brand of football, and provide him with the funds to buy attacking players to make it happen.

Although of course he'll want to judge Chris's mood before he tries it, or risk a chinning from our famously irascible manager ...

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Other fans also dislike our fans, apparently we're extremely arrogant.

That's crap. In all my years supporting and following the Albion the vast vast majority of fans I've interacted with / known have nothing but positive things to say about albion fans. (The majority of, obviously. All clubs have their fair share of d***heads)

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Never heard of the arrogance part first hand but getting a lot of abuse at work as to our anti football

I normally ask what would you do in the same situation? And explain we don’t like it as much as you either but you do what you’ve got to do.

They wouldn’t understand supporting arsenal, Tottenham or West Ham.

The wall lot don’t like the fact we have overtaken them league wise or the fact we did them (just) in the cup and ruined their day out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Yes, if I wasn't a Brighton fan, we'd be the last team I'd want to watch as we're as boring as F**k, but if our negative style keeps us up each year surely that's enough. I'd take 17th each season and less than a goal a game if it meant survival.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Who cares. We need to do what we do and stay up. Couldn't give a hoot what any other fans think ?

Exactly. Who the hell cares less what a bunch of plastics who have probably never been to an actual game think.
Keyboard warriors, trolls just ignore em or tell em where to go FFS

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Can we include Barber as one of those, his comments on talksport about how we did not need to strengthen in the January window as we did all our great business in the summer. A real egg on face comment now if I have ever heard one.

Do you not think that he was towing the company line there?! His boss has been VERY clear about how he views the January window for as long as I can remember. Lower quality players at over inflated prices.

I cannot see us ever doing much inbound business in January for as long as Tony has the purse strings. Neither are we ever going to be throwing huge transfer fees and 6-figure wages at "big name" signings in the summer. I just isn't how TB thinks. Barely known gambles and untested youth is all we can look forward. Some will be great, some will be dross, all will be (relatively) cheap and we might even make a profit on a freshen we finally start to unload our massive collection of youth and loan players (ideally while we can charge a PL premium!).

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Yes, if I wasn't a Brighton fan, we'd be the last team I'd want to watch as we're as boring as F**k, but if our negative style keeps us up each year surely that's enough. I'd take 17th each season and less than a goal a game if it meant survival.

Really, you'd be happy we carried on playing this style of football and coming 17th each year if it meant staying in the prem? At no point would you think, sod it let's just have a go and see what happens?

Personally I had that view when we were floating around the bottom divisions and going out of the football league was the consequence of relegation but going down to the championship isn't even close to that.

I can honestly say I would prefer to be a yoyo club between the top two divisions and play entertaining football rather than park the bus and hope for a set-piece goal for 38 games a season, all in the hope of coming 17th and preserving the holy grail of barely staying in the top league.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
We are boring boring Brighton, the PL certainly won't miss us if we go down. Let's face it, we are horrible to watch and i'm really torn about what we should do with Chris if we do stay up. Of course Tony will keep him on and rightly he should be given another chance with some new signings but if we get a few months into the new season and we are still playing like this, he has to go.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Really, you'd be happy we carried on playing this style of football and coming 17th each year if it meant staying in the prem? At no point would you think, sod it let's just have a go and see what happens?

Personally I had that view when we were floating around the bottom divisions and going out of the football league was the consequence of relegation but going down to the championship isn't even close to that.

I can honestly say I would prefer to be a yoyo club between the top two divisions and play entertaining football rather than park the bus and hope for a set-piece goal for 38 games a season, all in the hope of coming 17th and preserving the holy grail of barely staying in the top league.

Totally agree.

With a crystal ball, if this is going to be it for the next few seasons in the prem...negative football to just remain in the division, then I am definitely out and will pick and chose my games. I certainly don't like our game at the moment and I find it very difficult to square the circle that if we just look to buy youngsters and lump them on loan in a vain hope that perhaps they will be ready to slot into a first team then that is our strategy.

I have been very disappointed with andone, locadia, jahanabash(sp) and they have been our so called " big signings" and we keep saying that they have got their chance let's see what they can do...and guess what...they blow it! Only Andone' s goal against palace stands out. Lot of money for that though.

As many people have said, the journey , and yes the goldstone/ gillingham/ withdean is included in that, is a million time better than the destination!

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Totally agree.

With a crystal ball, if this is going to be it for the next few seasons in the prem...negative football to just remain in the division, then I am definitely out and will pick and chose my games. I certainly don't like our game at the moment and I find it very difficult to square the circle that if we just look to buy youngsters and lump them on loan in a vain hope that perhaps they will be ready to slot into a first team then that is our strategy.

I have been very disappointed with andone, locadia, jahanabash(sp) and they have been our so called " big signings" and we keep saying that they have got their chance let's see what they can do...and guess what...they blow it! Only Andone' s goal against palace stands out. Lot of money for that though.

As many people have said, the journey , and yes the goldstone/ gillingham/ withdean is included in that, is a million time better than the destination!

I think we would have seen more from Andone and AJ if we played a different style. I think Andone has the explosive raw power to really do something in the premier league but doesn't get enough game time. Locadia I'm on the fence about but most likely he won't cut it at this level even if a manager figures out what his best position is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here