Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Breakdown cover

Looking for breakdown cover for my car, just UK including home start. Normally I would add to my car insurance but I've just renewed with the Halifax and they only seem to offer RAC

Comparison sites come up with loads of companies Ive never heard of which are way cheaper than AA/RAC/Green Flag.

i'm never comfortable with cheap deals on something like this, neither do I just want to go with the big boys.

Any suggestions from NSC? preferably from companies you've had call outs from so we know their service is OK?

Thanks in anticipation

I have used Autoaid for many years, which is recommended by MoneySavingExpert. This covers the person rather than a car and includes spouse as well. I believe home start is included but check.

Have used a few times and it has been very reliable. Most recently I did not have to make up front payment for recovery - when I previously used they arranged the recovery truck when I phoned, I paid the driver for it and then claimed back from Autoaid.

Always seemed amazingly cheap to me but does what it says on the tin!

scooter1

How soon is now?
I have used Autoaid for many years, which is recommended by MoneySavingExpert. This covers the person rather than a car and includes spouse as well. I believe home start is included but check.

Have used a few times and it has been very reliable. Most recently I did not have to make up front payment for recovery - when I previously used they arranged the recovery truck when I phoned, I paid the driver for it and then claimed back from Autoaid.

Always seemed amazingly cheap to me but does what it says on the tin!
This. We’ve been with Autoaid for years. I think me and the mrs pay around £40 a year for the pair of us(any vehicle, including my 50 year old Vespa)

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Are the Halifax giving you a discount? If that makes the RAC comparable in prices, go with them. We have 'free' AA cover through our garage deal, and although our servicing is more expensive than getting it done through our local garage, it works out much cheaper overall. Despite some dodgy reviews, we've never had bad service from the AA, and been with them for about 15 years now.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Looking for breakdown cover for my car, just UK including home start. Normally I would add to my car insurance but I've just renewed with the Halifax and they only seem to offer RAC

Comparison sites come up with loads of companies Ive never heard of which are way cheaper than AA/RAC/Green Flag.

i'm never comfortable with cheap deals on something like this, neither do I just want to go with the big boys.

Any suggestions from NSC? preferably from companies you've had call outs from so we know their service is OK?

Thanks in anticipation

Eversure, personal cover me/Mrs national uk, homestart, onward travel, roadside recovery, misfuel (everything covered,) 6 call outs PA, £55pa (money supermarket) They're great and as you'll see, their reviews speak for themselves. (97% on feefo)

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No, it has to have MOT. It is tax exempt though
Is anything MOT exempt, that uses the public highways?

yes, oddly, they exempted cars older than 1979.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
yes, oddly, they exempted cars older than 1979.

Wrong, all motorised vehicles that use the road have to have an MOT,Ibelieve that the Hearse may be exempt from this, perhaps someone can put the record straight.
Farm vehicles, Fire Brigade Ambulances and Police vehicles may come under the exemption law, that I am not sure of.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Wrong, all motorised vehicles that use the road have to have an MOT,Ibelieve that the Hearse may be exempt from this, perhaps someone can put the record straight.
Farm vehicles, Fire Brigade Ambulances and Police vehicles may come under the exemption law, that I am not sure of.

From Gov website:

Vehicles that do not need an MOT
You do not need to get an MOT if:

the vehicle was built or first registered more than 40 years ago
no ‘substantial changes’ have been made to the vehicle in the last 30 years, for example replacing the chassis, body, axles or engine to change the way the vehicle works
If you’re not sure if there have been any substantial changes you can:

read the full guidance on MOT exemptions for historic vehicles
speak to a historic vehicle expert

One of the worst posts I've ever seen on NSC, and shows that you know nothing about the subject. Three different people have stated or implied that the exemptions exist yet you still say they are all wrong, even though one said they had researched it. It's a pity you couldn't be bothered to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here