Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Trains last night

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Did anyone else get caught on the 22:46 from victoria, it took me an hour and fourty five minutes to get back to Hove last night. Absolute nightmare.

Anyone on the trains after must have had it even worse.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
An hour and forty five minutes is hardly an absolute nightmare. 17 hours may qualify that.

Got the 22.37 from London Bridge. Hour and a half as it was an all stopping train. Had a nice kip.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Did anyone else get caught on the 22:46 from victoria, it took me an hour and fourty five minutes to get back to Hove last night. Absolute nightmare.

Yeah was on that train. Once it finally got to Lewes we had to get the bus replacement service to Polegate. The bus was actually faster than the train which was 1 of the slowest i have ever been on. Finally got in at 1.15.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014

yes that train 12.28 into southwick--- it was slow between east Croydon and gatwick

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
An hour and forty five minutes is hardly an absolute nightmare. 17 hours may qualify that.

Got the 22.37 from London Bridge. Hour and a half as it was an all stopping train. Had a nice kip.

It was by the time id walked home it was near 1am and I was up for work at 6. I've managed to get home well before midnight from West Ham, Fulham and Chelsea this season.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

I was on a train just ahead. If you want the dull answer as to why - there was a block on the fast line between Purley and Gatwick meaning every train had to funnel down the slow line. Was very slow.

el punal

Beat all of you on the shitfest stakes. Train from Northumberland Park to Liverpool Street, okayish, tube to Waterloo which decided to terminate at Charing Cross!! Had to change onto Bakerloo line to get to Waterloo eventually missing my 11.05 to Southampton. The next and last service to Southampton was the 11.35 which, I was informed, would only go as far as Winchester and then bus replacement service onward. Got home at 2.00am. Oh such deep, f***ing joy!! :angry:

The Original

Jan 25, 2010
50.83295°N 0.26815°W
Northumberland Park to Liverpool St was a decent option in terms of getting away but the journey was slow. 23:16 from VIC, eventually left around 23:30 and then ran slow for most of the journey arriving Shoreham just before 01:00. Tedious and feeling tired today....

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Beat all of you on the shitfest stakes. Train from Northumberland Park to Liverpool Street, okayish, tube to Waterloo which decided to terminate at Charing Cross!! Had to change onto Bakerloo line to get to Waterloo eventually missing my 11.05 to Southampton. The next and last service to Southampton was the 11.35 which, I was informed, would only go as far as Winchester and then bus replacement service onward. Got home at 2.00am. Oh such deep, f***ing joy!! :angry:

I didnt realise they had bus replacement services in the shires, you're so blessed :lolol:

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
It was by the time id walked home it was near 1am and I was up for work at 6. I've managed to get home well before midnight from West Ham, Fulham and Chelsea this season.

Yeah know what you mean. I got in at 1 and up at 6 also. Falling asleep here

el punal

I didnt realise they had bus replacement services in the shires, you're so blessed :lolol:

Indeed we are. If you say Barnham three times then the train terminates as if by magic. Then the fairy godmother waves her magic wand and a Blue Star bus appears with a driver who happens to have the strongest Welsh accent you’ve ever heard. Land of my fathers, boyo! :cheers:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Got the 22.54 from Farringdon which crawled down to the coast. The fast lines were shuts for maintenance in the Gatwick Three bridges area. Only Platforms 1-3 in use at Gatwick hence the congestion, back in Brighton at 12.30.

As for the London side of it, we left after applauding the team off and were on a train at Northumberland Park about 25 minutes later, I was quite surprised by the ease of exit.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
We applauded team off, walked down the High Street and off to Tottenham Hale tube. Got us to Victoria for 22.30 and the 22.44 back to Brighton for midnight.

Not too bad, would be nice to do a day game without having to rush to get home after.

Couldn't you have instead taken the Victoria line to Green Park (8th stop from Tottenham Hale) which is only two stops away from Waterloo on the Jubilee line? Or even stayed on until the 9th stop (Victoria) then taken one of the extremely frequent trains to Clapham Junction, at which I presume your 23:05 called.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Was due to be working in London yesterday and today, so booked a cheap hotel near the office in Canary Wharf - as it worked out, actually didn’t cost me any more than two day’s rail fare. Clapped the players off and eventually joined the huge queue for the overland train to Liverpool St from WHL station (queue was well managed and moved quite quickly - barely any different than getting to Lewes after an evening game at the Amex). Slow stopper got me to Liverpool St about 10.45 and I was back in the hotel by 11.15ish, and had a nice lie-in this morning instead of having to get up for the 6.04.......

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Clapped the players off and legged it as fast as I could to Seven Sisters.

Sat down in an empty train carriage at 21:51 and arrived at Victoria in time for the 22:16 to Lancing.

It arrived about 15 minutes late at 23:53. In bed just after midnight.

el punal

Couldn't you have instead taken the Victoria line to Green Park (8th stop from Tottenham Hale) which is only two stops away from Waterloo on the Jubilee line? Or even stayed on until the 9th stop (Victoria) then taken one of the extremely frequent trains to Clapham Junction, at which I presume your 23:05 called.

Hindsight is a wonderous thing! I could have chosen any number of options. I could have taken the Waterloo & City Line from Bank direct to Waterloo station, taken your suggestion, done any number of other routes. The fact is I chose what turned out to be the shit option. It happens. By the way, many trains departing from Waterloo to Southampton do not stop at Clapham Junction. Another lesson I have learned from attending Albion away matches in London.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here