Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Its football Jim - but not as we know it.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Strange really. Glorious defeat. One shot on target in a valiant rearguard action against a top team who are light years better than us.

I hated pretty much every minute of it though.

I’m not blaming Hughton, I’m not blaming the players and I’m not blaming the Premier League.

It’s just that this isn’t like 79 when we went up and ok we got a walloping or two but Christ it was entertaining going to matches. I even accept that Chris has to probably play this way and although I’ve signed up for another boring year of it I am not really looking forward to it. I’m an addict you see and I wish I could get clean.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
that's it , more posts getting behind the lads.

Saturday is huge. Maybe we can have a few days break from all this sh it and fully get behind the side and manager ( for now )

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Strange really. Glorious defeat. One shot on target in a valiant rearguard action against a top team who are light years better than us.
I’m not blaming Hughton, I’m not blaming the players and I’m not blaming the Premier League.
It’s just that this isn’t like 79 when we went up and ok we got a walloping or two but Christ it was entertaining going to matches. I even accept that Chris has to probably play this way and although I’ve signed up for another boring year of it I am not really looking forward to it. I’m an addict you see and I wish I could get clean.

If our team had turned up V Bournemouth and Cardiff, we wouldn't be in this mess now and could start planning for next season.
Now it's fight for a point and pray we get a good result v Newcastle. I really hope we go for it but suspect we won't.
I agree it's horrible to watch and sympathise with all the fans who go to most of the games.
(TBF I probably spend as much as a season ticket costs in coming over for my one or two games a season)

I hope lessons have been learned and we approach next season (hopefully still in the PL) in a much more positive way with some proper PL ready additions.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Saturday is huge. Maybe we can have a few days break from all this sh it and fully get behind the side and manager ( for now )

I'll support the team at the stadium, and never boo or heckle what Chris and the boys are doing within earshot. Im smart enough to know thats counter productive.

But we must have somewhere to vent our growing frustrations.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Agree. The fact people go to be entertained and we haven’t seen a goal or barely a shot for 8 matches seems to have passed many rose tinted fans by. They are outraged some of us have the nerve to ask for this.

el punal

Good post! Such stirring stuff from our boys in white and green. It was mesmerising watching us blocking, tackling, heading everything that came our way, knowing that at any given second we would concede. For nearly ninety minutes we were at it -Alamo style, but it was not to be. You’re right, it was not football but exquisite torture, soccer’s equivalent of S&M - all that pain and sort of enjoying it as well.

I don’t think you can compare to 1979. Money didn’t talk as much then as now. Excuse the pun, but it was more of a level playing field in those days. Now it really is about dosh, it totally rules (and ruins?) the game. We, and many other wanna be clubs, will never break into the so-called Big Six - that is an exclusive, private members club.

All we can do, as a small, but much loved, provincial club is to try and compete as best we can. Give the odd bloody nose to those in the private members club. Do stirring deeds like last night. Come up every now and then with a stellar footballing performance and retain our pride and dignity. Do all of that and I’ll be a loyal and happy fan.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

It wasn't entertaining under Mike Bailey. Even though we finished in our highest ever league position (13th), and for much of the season were in contention for a UEFA Cup spot (we were 6th at one point in December), he was sacked because the fans found the football too negative and boring. We were relegated the following season.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

I have no doubt we will all be behind the side at the Amex on Saturday evening, hoping for a monumental Albion performance.

But let us not fool ourselves, if we do manage to win on Saturday it will just be papering over the cracks, one goal per game on average all season at the Amex is damning evidence..

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
But let us not fool ourselves, if we do manage to win on Saturday it will just be papering over the cracks, one goal per game on average all season at the Amex is damning evidence..

its damming but if we are the 4th worst team in this division then that's success for a club like us

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

Maybe you can start a positive thread and see how well it does?

As far as I am aware I doubt the players pour over NSC wondering what we all think and free speech is still a thing isn’t it?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It’s just that this isn’t like 79 when we went up and ok we got a walloping or two but Christ it was entertaining going to matches.
We could have that if we were already safe. It's just that in our current predicament, that's not a valid option. If we survive and do better next season, you can hope for some more entertainment.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I hope lessons have been learned and we approach next season (hopefully still in the PL) in a much more positive way with some proper PL ready additions.

We have only two players out of contract at the end of the season. The legend ( Bruno ) who, after all, isn't far off 40 and Gaetan Bong.
Therefore, there will be very few additions to the squad, particularly considering our recent spend. It appears unlikely that there will be a change of management and unless I am hugely mistaken, very little change of style, if we are still in the PL.
Lessons can only be learned if there is acknowledgement that mistakes have been made. We have a manager that believes in a particular long term plan and sticks to that plan irrespective of results. That plan will not change. He believes it gives us the best chance to survive at this level. Another manager may think differently. So, for the time being, not a lot will change in attitude or execution.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm going again for it next season and if we survive and carry on playing like this then it will be my last irrespective of the good day I have with friends enjoying a few beers. It's just so dreary.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I'm going again for it next season and if we survive and carry on playing like this then it will be my last irrespective of the good day I have with friends enjoying a few beers. It's just so dreary.

A lot of our group are saying the same.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'll support the team at the stadium, and never boo or heckle what Chris and the boys are doing within earshot. Im smart enough to know thats counter productive.

But we must have somewhere to vent our growing frustrations.

Cant disagree..but lets face it the same stuff is being churned out day after day ...thats not exactly venting ......still you just have to look at the Brexit thread to see how divided we are on the BB

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Maybe you can start a positive thread and see how well it does?

As far as I am aware I doubt the players pour over NSC wondering what we all think and free speech is still a thing isn’t it?

Whats the point of him doing that he would only get shouted down by the usual suspects

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Bailey's team scored goals and won matches , had Michael Robinson up top too

Agreed - but I was thinking of the fact that at the time he was accused of setting his team up to play boring defensive football (in order to ensure Div 1 survival) and ultimately lost his job for the same reason (I think?) - not too dissimilar to now. We need to be careful what we wish for.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
A lot of our group are saying the same.

It's a shame to feel like that BRIGHT, and it isn't particularly the money and I must add it's not even the defeats. I started in the 60's so I have seen my fair share of dross. The thing is I have watched other teams at the bottom since the formation of the Premier League scrapping but they still process a goal threat by intention.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here