Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Its football Jim - but not as we know it.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
We could have that if we were already safe. It's just that in our current predicament, that's not a valid option. If we survive and do better next season, you can hope for some more entertainment.

But if the manager doesn't believe that he has the attacking weapons to really hurt other teams ( and he has admitted that lately ) how is there going to be more entertainment. Much more likely to be more of the same. The only thing that is going to change that is a different management team with a different attitude. Change will not come from within.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It wasn't entertaining under Mike Bailey. Even though we finished in our highest ever league position (13th), and for much of the season were in contention for a UEFA Cup spot (we were 6th at one point in December), he was sacked because the fans found the football too negative and boring. We were relegated the following season.
...........and therein lies a lesson for the Hughton out brigade!

We lost a manager who knew how to get us pushing for mid-table in the top flight, lost our top-flight position, almost lost our league place (and probably the club itself), lost our ground, spent two years playing home games so far away they weren't even in Sussex, and for the most part of 30 years we scrabbled around in the nether regions of the football league, with the likes of Peter Smith, John Crumplin and Kevin McGarrigle (with all due respect to them) as our 'stars'.

Still, we got our 'flair' manager, didn't we - so that was fine.
And just for the record, I admit that back then I was young, ignorant, impatient with a foolish sense of entitlement to see my team play more exciting football, and in company with a lot of other idiots, called for Bailey to be sacked.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

It's a shame to feel like that BRIGHT, and it isn't particularly the money and I must add it's not even the defeats. I started in the 60's so I have seen my fair share of dross. The thing is I have watched other teams at the bottom since the formation of the Premier League scrapping but they still process a goal threat by intention.

We have scored more goals than Huddersfield, Fulham and Cardiff - Newcastle (in lofty 13th place) have scored 3 goals more than us - conceded fewer. Are we in danger of letting the last few weeks of our season completely mask the reality that there are plenty of teams who play like us, and like us, they struggle to break teams down who sit deep. - Palace, Bournemouth, Leicester, even Wolves (recently Newcastle) rely on counter-attacks, and are not that good when they have the lion-share of possession. Your comment might apply to the PL as a whole, but if it is aimed at simply at us, I just cant agree that lots of teams teams are have more intent to score. I am not convinced that Cardiff have been any better to watch over the season - the last few weeks arguably yes, but over the season? I am sure plenty of Fulham fans would love to have seen their team be a bit more like us over the season - defending better as a team. I am not trying to pretend that the games against Bournemouth and Cardiff were anything but horrible - however, an early goal may easily have changed the complexion of both the games.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I'm going again for it next season and if we survive and carry on playing like this then it will be my last irrespective of the good day I have with friends enjoying a few beers. It's just so dreary.

I'm with you. The cost v value differential is growing apace.

I want to be entertained when I watch football. A Hughton side is never going to be exciting or entertaining so if it's more of the same next season, it will be my last.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But if the manager doesn't believe that he has the attacking weapons to really hurt other teams ( and he has admitted that lately ) how is there going to be more entertainment.
Because he tried it this season, and it failed, so I figure he'll try again next season, perhaps with a new player or two.
Much more likely to be more of the same. The only thing that is going to change that is a different management team with a different attitude. Change will not come from within.
Well I hope you're wrong. We'll just have to wait and see.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We have scored more goals than Huddersfield, Fulham and Cardiff - Newcastle (in lofty 13th place) have scored 3 goals more than us - conceded fewer. Are we in danger of letting the last few weeks of our season completely mask the reality that there are plenty of teams who play like us, and like us, they struggle to break teams down who sit deep.
Yes. Too many fans are over-reacting to what has been a shitty spell.
Palace, Bournemouth, Leicester, even Wolves (recently Newcastle) rely on counter-attacks, and are not that good when they have the lion-share of possession.
Excatly. Leicester were nearly relegated one season, and thanks to counter-attacking, they went and won the following season. It's how we should play, with people like Izquierdo and Andone breaking with pace.

Your comment might apply to the PL as a whole, but if it is aimed at simply at us, I just cant agree that lots of teams teams are have more intent to score. I am not convinced that Cardiff have been any better to watch over the season - the last few weeks arguably yes, but over the season? I am sure plenty of Fulham fans would love to have seen their team be a bit more like us over the season - defending better as a team. I am not trying to pretend that the games against Bournemouth and Cardiff were anything but horrible - however, an early goal may easily have changed the complexion of both the games.
Well said.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I want to be entertained when I watch football. A Hughton side is never going to be exciting or entertaining
Did you not watch our last two seasons in the Championship? We were hugely entertaining - attacking teams, beating them into submission. But it's not so easy against the quality in the top flight.
so if it's more of the same next season, it will be my last.
:flounce: :flounce: :flounce:

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Strange really. Glorious defeat. One shot on target in a valiant rearguard action against a top team who are light years better than us.
I hated pretty much every minute of it though.
I’m not blaming Hughton, I’m not blaming the players and I’m not blaming the Premier League.
It’s just that this isn’t like 79 when we went up and ok we got a walloping or two but Christ it was entertaining going to matches. I even accept that Chris has to probably play this way and although I’ve signed up for another boring year of it I am not really looking forward to it. I’m an addict you see and I wish I could get clean.

I went to Watford v Southampton last night (Dont ask!) and the football in the first half was quick and scintillating. The skill levels seemed well above what we are producing at the moment and it was a thoroughly enjoyable game. Whilst Watford have been good this season Southampton have flirted with relegation so it seems that clubs at our level are able to entertain.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
its damming but if we are the 4th worst team in this division then that's success for a club like us

I am pretty sure Mr Bloom is not going to be happy with being the 4th worst team in the league continually.

Although I'm sure he would take it now if offered.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
...........and therein lies a lesson for the Hughton out brigade!

We lost a manager who knew how to get us pushing for mid-table in the top flight, lost our top-flight position, almost lost our league place (and probably the club itself), lost our ground, spent two years playing home games so far away they weren't even in Sussex, and for the most part of 30 years we scrabbled around in the nether regions of the football league, with the likes of Peter Smith, John Crumplin and Kevin McGarrigle (with all due respect to them) as our 'stars'.

Still, we got our 'flair' manager, didn't we - so that was fine.
And just for the record, I admit that back then I was young, ignorant, impatient with a foolish sense of entitlement to see my team play more exciting football, and in company with a lot of other idiots, called for Bailey to be sacked.

Brilliant. There is indeed a lesson to be learned.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Did you not watch our last two seasons in the Championship? We were hugely entertaining - attacking teams, beating them into submission. But it's not so easy against the quality in the top flight.

True, but the answer to this need not be to retreat into our own penalty box every game. If the gap between our lone striker and our midfield is as great as Chris seems to like, then we are always under the cosh.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
True, but the answer to this need not be to retreat into our own penalty box every game. If the gap between our lone striker and our midfield is as great as Chris seems to like, then we are always under the cosh.
Quite agree and these teams that were and are around us play with pace and two up front as they want to win whereas we are just scared to lose

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And Chris tried for us to be more attacking, and it's cost us a lot of points. Before our bad run, we were not as defensive as the last couple of games. We didn't score 3 in the first half against Utd by having Murray on his own, but recent results has meant we need to work harder on not conceding, before worrying about attacking again.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
And Chris tried for us to be more attacking, and it's cost us a lot of points. Before our bad run, we were not as defensive as the last couple of games. We didn't score 3 in the first half against Utd by having Murray on his own, but recent results has meant we need to work harder on not conceding, before worrying about attacking again.

But there are other attacking formations he didn't try, not just the one he did that didn't work
But he just reverted to type. This is the problem, and why he is so easily out foxed tactically.

And our bad run started when Glenn's goals dried up, but instead of trying Locadia in his favourite position, he keeps sticking him out on the left where my old Nanna could see he is not suited.

el punal

I have no doubt we will all be behind the side at the Amex on Saturday evening, hoping for a monumental Albion performance.

But let us not fool ourselves, if we do manage to win on Saturday it will just be papering over the cracks, one goal per game on average all season at the Amex is damning evidence..

As fans we all know, apart from a few deluded ones, that if we win it’s papering over the cracks. That much has been true for months. We are now in a bitter fight to stave off relegation and the team need our support more than ever. We’ve all moaned and criticised the team over the last weeks, and rightly so, but the time for recriminations is over, at least until the end of the season.

Now is the time to really get behind Chris and the boys, regardless of whatever tactics or formation or selection you disagree with. The Wolves game and last night’s support proved that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But there are other attacking formations he didn't try, not just the one he did that didn't work
But he just reverted to type. This is the problem, and why he is so easily out foxed tactically.
But there's no evidence that he's easily out foxed. I keep asking which side is doing better than us, without spending more, and still no one can answer.

And our bad run started when Glenn's goals dried up, but instead of trying Locadia in his favourite position, he keeps sticking him out on the left where my old Nanna could see he is not suited.
We started playing Locadia on the left, and those on NSC suddenly started saying Locadia was better than they had previously thought, one of our best players for several games.

You clearly think you know more about football and tactics than Hughton. Yet he's the one getting paid millions. Go figure.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
If Hughton gets sacked I want Mike Bailey back to finish in the highest position in the history of the club.

For all those wanting more entertainment, lets hope for relegation and entertaining 2-2 draws with Stoke and Sheff Wed next season.

PS if we stay up I hope for better recruitment and the manager, maybe CH to be able to change the style of football to the utopia of an 8-12 finish next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here