Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Its football Jim - but not as we know it.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
But there's no evidence that he's easily out foxed. I keep asking which side is doing better than us, without spending more, and still no one can answer.

We started playing Locadia on the left, and those on NSC suddenly started saying Locadia was better than they had previously thought, one of our best players for several games.

You clearly think you know more about football and tactics than Hughton. Yet he's the one getting paid millions. Go figure.

On current evidence, I think I do.

The easy part of football is setting up defensively, the hard part, and reason managers get paid so much is the tactics used offensively to beat teams.

And stop trotting out that guff about budget, Man United spend more than anyone so by your assumption that money is all that counts, they should be top of the league.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
On current evidence, I think I do.
Then get off NSC and get a job as a manager (I assume you already have your coaching badges).

The easy part of football is setting up defensively, the hard part, and reason managers get paid so much is the tactics used offensively to beat teams.
No, it's all hard. Keeping a team in this division is hard.

And stop trotting out that guff about budget
No. It's one of the most relevant points. The top 6 spend more than the other teams, and the top 6 keep finishing top ****ing 6. It's not rocket science.

Man United spend more than anyone so by your assumption that money is all that counts, they should be top of the league.
And that's why they sacked their manager mid season.

I guess once you've got the job though, we'll be pushing for a Champions League place, without having to buy new players.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Then get off NSC and get a job as a manager (I assume you already have your coaching badges).

No, it's all hard. Keeping a team in this division is hard.

No. It's one of the most relevant points. The top 6 spend more than the other teams, and the top 6 keep finishing top ****ing 6. It's not rocket science.

And that's why they sacked their manager mid season.

I guess once you've got the job though, we'll be pushing for a Champions League place, without having to buy new players.

The only relevant point you make there is regarding the top six, United spend more than the others in their mini league, but because their coach is not as good, they are bottom. Tottenham's budget is far less than Chelsea Arsenal and United but because of Poch they sit higher.

I dont agree that money is everything in football, but we are in the top 30 of richest clubs in the world, but our playing style does not reflect that. Its poor.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We haven’t seen a goal or barely a shot for 8 matches seems to have passed many rose tinted fans by. They are outraged some of us have the nerve to ask for this.

Obviously 2019 has been a disaster points and goal wise but last season which is regarded as a triumph in comparison (perhaps not from yourself - i don't know) we went on several pretty poor runs.
We didn't score in our opening 3 games and from end Nov to end Jan we went on a terrible run scoring just once in 9 games. And then In our last 9 games of the season, we forget that we secured a mere 5 points out of 27.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Good god. This is our SECOND season in the Prem. Do we really expect to be having it relatively easy at this stage? EVERYBODY outside the top six or seven are at risk at the start of each season. They are all doing everything they can to climb up the pole.

It simply cannot be as simple as ‘Hughton is tactically inept’. So in the Championship he was a tactical genius then? Is it just that all the Premier League managers aside from Chris are Einstein’s of the footballing world?
What did we really expect to happen? It’s going to take time to progress and whilst we might not like it at the moment, survival is by far the number one aim. If we have to watch some shite for a bit, then so be it. We have been in far worse situations than this. We definitely played some shit in the lower leagues, the last two years in the Champ seems to have rotted our memories.

We are running with a comparatively small transfer and wage budget. Yes it’s still eye watering but there is a very clear relationship between spend and success. Of course there are exceptions and aberrations, but in general, quality costs more. The local boxing gym has some decent fighters in it, but they are all going to get beaten senseless by Anthony Joshua.

I usually don’t care too much about how other people see the situation, it’s their lens on the world and I can’t change that. Hell, I might be the deluded one here. Maybe we should be competing in the middle whilst playing attractive football. But I doubt it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This time last year after 35 games, we were 2 points better off on 36 points, sat in 13th on -17 GD as opposed to -22 this season, but still just 4 points off the drop. In other words, hardly a million miles from where we are now (funnily enough we'd just drawn 1-1 with Spurs at the Amex). We were more secure because aside from the bottom 3, we also had West Ham, Huddersfield, Palace and Swansea as a cushion.

The main difference this season is that we've not pushed on from a promising position at the end of December, and have instead been utter shithouse since Janauary. So we've regressed slightly, despite the investment. Not MASSIVELY, but last seasons 40 points is clearly not going to be achieved, and we've not had the luxury of as much gunk this season propping us up.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
This time last year after 35 games, we were 2 points better off on 36 points, sat in 13th on -17 GD as opposed to -22 this season, but still just 4 points off the drop. In other words, hardly a million miles from where we are now (funnily enough we'd just drawn 1-1 with Spurs at the Amex). We were more secure because aside from the bottom 3, we also had West Ham, Huddersfield, Palace and Swansea as a cushion.

The main difference this season is that we've not pushed on from a promising position at the end of December, and have instead been utter shithouse since Janauary. So we've regressed slightly, despite the investment. Not MASSIVELY, but last seasons 40 points is clearly not going to be achieved, and we've not had the luxury of as much gunk this season propping us up.

The football this season is a massive regression on last season, and rumours of player discontent are an indication that we are moving backwards.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The football this season is a massive regression on last season, and rumours of player discontent are an indication that we are moving backwards.

No argument there. Last season felt like real progress, this season has been a definite regression, particularly given the investment last summer. There have certainly been more injuries to cope with this time round which hasn't helped, Gross and Izquierdo have been BIG long-time losses, which has increased the pressure on Glenn whilst at the same time cutting off his supply-line. Unfortunately, other players simply haven't stepped up.

Thats all for the summer though. Saturday is now, to coin a tired old cliche, a Cup Final for us, because I just cannot see any realistic points for us after that. We've really messed this up.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Rumours like that (and unsubstantiated at that) always tend to surface when a club is struggling ...personally I ignore that stuff ....Portlock will of course accuse me of rose tinted glasses

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Rumours like that (and unsubstantiated at that) always tend to surface when a club is struggling ...personally I ignore that stuff ....Portlock will of course accuse me of rose tinted glasses

You may be right, let's just keep everything crossed for Saturday.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I thought we played brilliantly last night.

We defended brilliantly / heroicly last night but for large parts of the game we didn’t ‘play’. For most of the second half in particular it felt like a constant cycle of us hoofing the ball as far as we could into the Tottenham half to let them come back at us again - the goal was inevitable. There were times when players were hoofing it when they actually had time to play a simple pass and try and take the sting out of the game. For me this is the element of our game plan that was most painful to watch. It got to the point where I felt that if we were resorting to hoofing it as far as possible then we would have been better off aiming to boot the ball into touch to concede a throw in every time as that would have given us more time to re-group and eaten up more time. I’ve come to expect that this is drastic measures for a drastic situation and it will be short term - but if we stay up I will go stir crazy if I continue to see this sort performance frequently next season.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
We defended brilliantly / heroicly last night but for large parts of the game we didn’t ‘play’. For most of the second half in particular it felt like a constant cycle of us hoofing the ball as far as we could into the Tottenham half to let them come back at us again - the goal was inevitable. There were times when players were hoofing it when they actually had time to play a simple pass and try and take the sting out of the game. For me this is the element of our game plan that was most painful to watch. It got to the point where I felt that if we were resorting to hoofing it as far as possible then we would have been better off aiming to boot the ball into touch to concede a throw in every time as that would have given us more time to re-group and eaten up more time. I’ve come to expect that this is drastic measures for a drastic situation and it will be short term - but if we stay up I will go stir crazy if I continue to see this sort performance frequently next season.

Why would you be seeing that next season. ? We've done it twice this week... nobody suggests its forever !

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
What a twerp. Some of our fans, honestly.
I know, if only I could afford the pay cut.

If only Chris had thought to push someone with pace up against the two Spurs centre backs who were camped in our half most of the second half, leaving acres of space to run into, rather than a 35 year old with the pace of uncle Albert, maybe we wouldn't have conceded that late goal.

You never know, we might of even scored one ourselves?

Last edited:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

If only Chris had thought to push someone with pace up against the two Spurs centre backs who were camped in our half most of the second half, leaving acres of space to run into, rather than a 35 year old with the pace of uncle Albert, maybe we wouldn't have conceded that late goal.

Football. Uckin’ easy from the side lines isn’t it?

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
Agree. The fact people go to be entertained and we haven’t seen a goal or barely a shot for 8 matches seems to have passed many rose tinted fans by. They are outraged some of us have the nerve to ask for this.

Completly agree with you,these new supporters cannot understand that teams like the Albion will not be able to play entertaining football in the Premiership, to do so would result in a huge goals against figure, we need to pick up as many points as we can against the other ordinary teams in this league, when playing at home,then select very defensive sides for away games, the opportunity should be taken also to use squad players away from home giving the best players time to rest up.

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
I'm with you. The cost v value differential is growing apace.

I want to be entertained when I watch football. A Hughton side is never going to be exciting or entertaining so if it's more of the same next season, it will be my last.

Our team under Chris was very entertaining in the Championship and would be again if we are relegated

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Bailey's team scored goals and won matches , had Michael Robinson up top too
Most people on here weren't even born when this was happening.
I wonder how much Brighton lashed out on new players when we were promoted to the First Division and did they get game time ? ( I expect they went straight into the team back then )

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

What I meant, and you know it, is you claiming you know more about football and tactics than CH. Look forward to following your career - should be rivalling Pep and Klopp soon, eh?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Most people on here weren't even born when this was happening.
I wonder how much Brighton lashed out on new players when we were promoted to the First Division and did they get game time ? ( I expect they went straight into the team back then)

In those days we bought players to replace players in areas we thought we were weak in. CBs not quite up to it? Rollings and Winstanley replaced buy Steve Foster and Mark Lawrenson (and Gary Stephens when we needed Lawro to play midfield); it was felt we need someone better than Spider to partner Wardy - so goodbye Mellor, hello Poskett and Teddy Maybank. We needed a better RB - so in came John Gregory.

None of them messed around in the reserves for months!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here