Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jan Vertongen elbow.

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
The elbow, or more the overly aggressive follow through onto florins head was reminiscent of florins vs west brom.

Was this a top6 call? Would a card have been show if dunk had done it to a spurs player?

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
The elbow, or more the overly aggressive follow through onto florins head was reminiscent of florins vs west brom.

Was this a top6 call? Would a card have been show if dunk had done it to a spurs player?

It’s a definite card, if VAR were being used as it is over in Spain it could even be a red. He knew what he was doing and until retroactive bans are implemented in it will continue to happen

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My initial thought was 'come on Andone got sent off for that'.

But the longer the game went on I came to the conclusion I can't use 'Andone got sent off for that' as a rational basis for a different opinion.

He's an angry young man, normally that's the highlight of my day, but he seems rather destructive to himself and the team.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
It's the biased coverage that pissed me off, the commentator saying "well, he didn't really swing his elbow did he?" When defending a Tottenham player but when they went to break at half time they showed 3 tackles by Andone and one other irrelevant clip as to highlight how lucky a brighton were to still have 11 men.

That along with Danny Rose slipping over clearly with no contact on the 4 replays shown and the commentator saying that
Locardia will be in trouble with his manager for trying to be clever in that sort of position! I understand the Ref getting conned in real time but Rose ****ing fell over!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Amazing how neither the ref or the lino saw it, not sure it was a sending off though.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
This happens all the time. Touch a top 6 team player, they fall over in agony - free kick and maybe a yellow. Do the same to any other team and it's play on.

What gets me though is that they don't need to. They are skillful enough without having to resort to cheating and conning the ref. That should be left to the Burnley players. :)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
When defending a Tottenham player but when they went to break at half time they showed 3 tackles by Andone and one other irrelevant clip as to highlight how lucky a brighton were to still have 11 men.

I haven't see the game on TV yet but I felt the yellow he got seemed to be because of team fouls rather than his as the ref pointed to various places and I couldn't remember any fouls by him before the yellow.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I haven't see the game on TV yet but I felt the yellow he got seemed to be because of team fouls rather than his as the ref pointed to various places and I couldn't remember any fouls by him before the yellow.

That's similar to what i thought at the time, the ref seemed to be pointing to where AJ had committed some fouls and it did make me wonder if it was for persistent fouling rather than that one particular challenge and that the ref had confused the 2 players and therefore harshly booked Andone who i don't think he'd committed a foul up to that point

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
This happens all the time. Touch a top 6 team player, they fall over in agony - free kick and maybe a yellow. Do the same to any other team and it's play on.

What gets me though is that they don't need to. They are skillful enough without having to resort to cheating and conning the ref. That should be left to the Burnley players. :)

I always think that the chant of "same old top 6, always diving" should ring out every time as it's clear its a tactic widely used by them and the refs always side with their theatrical ways (probably deciding that as they are more skillful players, then the other team must have fouled them to stop them)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Amazing how neither the ref or the lino saw it, not sure it was a sending off though.

It was intent though. While he didn't swing the elbow, he most certainly left as much on Andone as he could. I think you could argue because it was intentional, it could be a red card, all be it a harsh one. That it didn't even get given as a foul let alone a yellow card shows the kind of bias you do have to put up with against the big sides.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Even sky clearly favour the big 6. Andone makes a few fouls and we see countless replays so the comms etc question if he should be off. Mora, already on a yellow makes a dodgy foul and yes, no replay and no mention of it. Glenn also got called offside in a tight one - no replay at all. Not saying either should have gone in our favour but a replay or 2 would be nice given the amount of replays they gave for anything pro spurs...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Even sky clearly favour the big 6. Andone makes a few fouls and we see countless replays so the comms etc question if he should be off. Mora, already on a yellow makes a dodgy foul and yes, no replay and no mention of it. Glenn also got called offside in a tight one - no replay at all. Not saying either should have gone in our favour but a replay or 2 would be nice given the amount of replays they gave for anything pro spurs...

More viewers for the top six than the rest ...they know who pays ..crap ain't it

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
More viewers for the top six than the rest ...they know who pays ..crap ain't it

Yep - just makes part of me hate the prem even more, which I’ve been feeling for months. Even that VAR call in the semi, had that been AJ head butting Walker with day city trailing he game, I’m almost convinced we’d have seen a red. As if these ridiculously cash rich clubs don’t need enough help.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here