Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Spurs loss - has that game made you more or less confident that we will stay up?

How did the Spurs loss/performance make you feel about our chances of staying up?

• MORE confident - you idiot, it was superb, backs to the wall stuff

Votes: 132 63.8%
  • LESS confident - you prat, it’s another loss and another game without scoring!

Votes: 75 36.2%

• Total voters

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
It’s confirmed hughton is not the man to take us forwards. Never seen a team whose whole back line plays infront of our own box.

3 points is a must against Newcastle otherwise it’s all over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can we have an option of ‘’not either way’’

That's where I am too. What we saw tonight really doesn't impact the big one on Saturday which will be a completely different game where the onus will be on us to attack and score. That's the test that lies ahead now, not one of holding a very disciplined defensive shape, working our bollocks off to deny goal-scoring opportunities.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
After watching the game I have come to the conclusion that we will never, ever, score in the Premier League again under Chris Hughton. Our high price attacking players can’t even make the team until they have been transformed into defenders. If we manage to nick a 0-0 against Newcastle we have a shot of staying up this year, not confident though. Next year is another story...

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Neither, expected a loss.

I think the Manchester result tonight could have a bearing. We need Utd to have something to play for on the last day so a win/draw will increase my confidence a notch. It will also likely mean City have nothing to play for but doubt that will have any impact on result

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2018
Can’t remember the last time we successfully went for it and won so not confident

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
We won’t win another game imo, and Cardiff will be level on points come 5pm Saturday. Murray hasn’t scored at home since December and he must be loving the fact he got a new contract on the strength a few goals in the Autumn, I guess he will be useful in the Championship!!

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Last night was heroic backs to the wall last ditch defending, bodies on the line stuff. I’m sure Hughton was very happy with it.

But he is missing the point. We always defend like that away to the big six and commit absolutely nothing going forward, but we can’t ever hold out for the full 90 minutes. Sometimes the opposition score early and roll us over, sometimes we hold on longer and they score late. But the result is always the same, and I n those fixtures he’s played 11, lost 11.

So while it nearly worked last night, it is proven beyond any doubt that the tactic as a whole doesn’t work. But hey, let’s keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect a different result.

Last night was like watching a League 1 team going to play the famous Spurs in the FA Cup. Attack v defence, like a training exercise. If I was Bloom I would be embarrassed to watch it, when I’d spent £80 million on attacking players in the last two years.

Hughton doesn’t seem to think we deserve to be here, or have any chance of scoring a goal. His defeatism is really starting to annoy me.

It’s still in our hands, we’re home to Newcastle on Saturday. Beat them and we’ll stay up, so we’ll no doubt play to not lose, which will probably be enough. Get the points we need and we can bring this whole dreary project to a close, and get someone in the Summer who is younger and more dynamic, and who isn’t tired and hasn’t completely given up on his team being able to actually playing football yet. I just hope there is enough left in the tank to get us over the line, because we’re not going to be back any time soon if there isn’t.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Last night was heroic backs to the wall last ditch defending, bodies on the line stuff. I’m sure Hughton was very happy with it.

But he is missing the point. We always defend like that away to the big six and commit absolutely nothing going forward, but we can’t ever hold out for the full 90 minutes. Sometimes the opposition score early and roll us over, sometimes we hold on longer and they score late. But the result is always the same, and I n those fixtures he’s played 11, lost 11.

So while it nearly worked last night, it is proven beyond any doubt that the tactic as a whole doesn’t work. But hey, let’s keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect a different result.

Last night was like watching a League 1 team going to play the famous Spurs in the FA Cup. Attack v defence, like a training exercise. If I was Bloom I would be embarrassed to watch it, when I’d spent £80 million on attacking players in the last two years.

Hughton doesn’t seem to think we deserve to be here, or have any chance of scoring a goal. His defeatism is really starting to annoy me.

It’s still in our hands, we’re home to Newcastle on Saturday. Beat them and we’ll stay up, so we’ll no doubt play to not lose, which will probably be enough. Get the points we need and we can bring this whole dreary project to a close, and get someone in the Summer who is younger and more dynamic, and who isn’t tired and hasn’t completely given up on his team being able to actually playing football yet. I just hope there is enough left in the tank to get us over the line, because we’re not going to be back any time soon if there isn’t.
Absolutely right.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.

Spot on ....however I believe we will lose to Newcastle.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
We have averaged a mere 1 goal per game at home all season, scoring 17 times and conceding 23.

The table doesn't lie, we are in deep shite and as it stands at the moment I cannot see this squad digging us out the points we need.

We are relying on Fulham, Palace or Man Utd to keep us in the Premier League this is what it has come down too.:annoyed:

Desperate times, unless this squad can pull out a monumental performance on Saturday, don't rely on it..???

Having said that I will be there on Saturday cheering the lads on with everything crossed that we can pull something out of nowhere to secure a win. :thumbsup:

:albion2:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We defended brilliantly last night and even attacked now and again. However, I am less confident because even when we did attack last night there was no build up play or ball retention to speak of, just a mad dash and the player lost the ball or made a wild hopeful whack of the ball. The set pieces no longer look threatening either.

Our lack of ability to keep the ball and build with purpose rather than knocking the ball sideways and backwards as we attack leads me to believe that Newcastle will nick the ball off us and score. Once they do that we are fecked.

Arsenal will break us down at some stage and score. City will toy with us and score

Will we even see another goal this season from the Albion?

Our only hope is Cardiff not getting four points imo.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

I agree

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Looks like we are dependent on Cardiff

We're not, its in our hands.

Play like that last night against Man C or Ars and reckon a good chance of securing a point. Toon though is must win, Cardiff get a result at Fulham and we're in deep sh1t

Overall feel like we've got back to our game plan, encouraged....

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Still the same, i didn't expect anything last night but it was a bitter pill to swallow. I thought the chances we created were good, Andone should have got on the end of the cross from Jahanbaksh.

I'm still hoping Hughton resigns at the end of the season. He won't take us any further.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)

Completely sums up my thoughts. What an excellent post!

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Sadly, I think you are right. Even in the odd games where we've had possession and have been camped in opponents halves we've not had the imagination or creativity to capitalise. If we go down it will be for a while. I don't see this gang bouncing back up.

We defended brilliantly last night and even attacked now and again. However, I am less confident because even when we did attack last night there was no build up play or ball retention to speak of, just a mad dash and the player lost the ball or made a wild hopeful whack of the ball. The set pieces no longer look threatening either.

Our lack of ability to keep the ball and build with purpose rather than knocking the ball sideways and backwards as we attack leads me to believe that Newcastle will nick the ball off us and score. Once they do that we are fecked.

Arsenal will break us down at some stage and score. City will toy with us and score

Will we even see another goal this season from the Albion?

Our only hope is Cardiff not getting four points imo.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here