Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan - analysis & discussion

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It feels like any goal we conceded is deemed unsavable. How unlucky must we be.

I can't remember any save Ryan has made that we look at and say 'how did he save that?!' His saves tend to be the routine sort. Maybe some need a bit of smart play (e.g. not going to ground too soon, diving the right way) but none really that make you go 'wow'. Yet we often seem to come up against keepers making those sorts of saves.

Having said that, today's goal, while from that distance I'd expect better from the keeper, I blame more on the outfield players. It was too easy for Burnley to move the ball from the half way line to the edge of our box and get the shot away.

He never makes "that" save, the one you mention when taking after the game.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It feels like any goal we conceded is deemed unsavable. How unlucky must we be.

I can't remember any save Ryan has made that we look at and say 'how did he save that?!' His saves tend to be the routine sort. Maybe some need a bit of smart play (e.g. not going to ground too soon, diving the right way) but none really that make you go 'wow'. Yet we often seem to come up against keepers making those sorts of saves.

Having said that, today's goal, while from that distance I'd expect better from the keeper, I blame more on the outfield players. It was too easy for Burnley to move the ball from the half way line to the edge of our box and get the shot away.

I actually thought he didn’t have much chance today, otherwise this.

How many times are we wowed by a Ryan save?

He is a steady and okay keeper but nothing more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
To be fair I didn’t think he had much chance today. However I do feel most shots on target tend to go in with him. If the keepers were at different ends today we would have won, not because Pope would have saved their goal but Ryan would have let at least one of Pope’s saves in.
Very nice guy but I think we need better if we want to progress. Great reaction saver but has no presence in the goal imho!

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
It does concern me that he never dominates his area. When was the last time he came for a cross or a corner? All I ever hear is 'away'!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
To be fair I didn’t think he had much chance today. However I do feel most shots on target tend to go in with him. If the keepers were at different ends today we would have won, not because Pope would have saved their goal but Ryan would have let at least one of Pope’s saves in.
Very nice guy but I think we need better if we want to progress. Great reaction saver but has no presence in the goal imho!
Maty might well have saved Maupay’s volley.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The goal was Proppers fault. He let Hendrick have the space and was jogging back. Hendricks was his man.

Anyone expecting a keeper to save that. Really?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

One minute you're saying most shots on target go in but then he's a great reaction saver!

As for presence, he has had Dunk and Duffy being the presence in front of him.

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
His shots on target to goals against ratio is shocking since he returned from the Asian cup.

He ended last season with 60% as goals scored.

This season is not much better.

Today - 1 shot. 1 goal.
Man city - 6 shots. 4 goals.
Saints - 4 shots. 2 goals.
West ham - 3 shot. 1 goal.
Watford - 3 shots. 0 goals.

17 shots on target. 8 goals. 47% goals against for on target shots.

Love maty. But save one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here