Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan - analysis & discussion

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think that come next summer, Walton is going to be absolutely banging on the door to be the first choice.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Maty is very reliable. He never lets a weak shot squirm past him, he never spills a bouncing ball, he never gets tackled mucking around with it, he never passes it straight to the oppo, he’s never caught in no mans land. And his decision making and concentration are consistently good.

Probably there isn’t another keeper we’ve had who you could say all that about.

However, it’s a fair point, made by a few on this thread, that it’s been a good while since he made a save you thought he’d never get to. His distribution is competent, if not spectacular, he never comes for crosses, (which is ok as our centre back battery know it’s always their job to clear crosses, but it wouldn’t half take the pressure off sometimes if we had someone who could do this).

All in all, he’s about right for our level, I would say. I don’t think any keeper would have saved Hendrick’s shot. But I do think it’s a shame that Walton and Sanchez are at least a year off offering him genuine competition. Button and Steele are never going to seriously challenge him for a place.

Agree. Some people seem to expect him to be perfect but even De Gea makes mistakes!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1174775969862885376[/tweet]

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Well someone must have said something to him during the week. What a difference today, commanded his area, came out and caught crosses when needed, and stopped a couple of well hit shots.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Had a good game, made a decent reflex save, handled the ball well from shots without spills, came for the ball, good feet in distribution.

Best game for a long long time :thumbsup:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Had a good game, made a decent reflex save, handled the ball well from shots without spills, came for the ball, good feet in distribution.

Best game for a long long time :thumbsup:

Fair assessment.
Did absolutely nothing wrong yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd have been surprised if Newcastle had scored from any of the attempts they had, as it should be, and has been so far this season.

None of this 'should have saved' bollox concerning shots most keepers would struggle to save in slow motion.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'd have been surprised if Newcastle had scored from any of the attempts they had, as it should be, and has been so far this season.

None of this 'should have saved' bollox concerning shots most keepers would struggle to save in slow motion.

Good keepers make saves they have no right to. Maty is a good player but I don’t remember his last “had no right to save that” save. Did make one very good save yesterday in the first half. We have had no breaks in scoring “lucky goals” either though

We need our luck to change at one end or the other preferably both in the same game...at Chelsea :smile: Our first ever win against them would be a good time :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good keepers make saves they have no right to. Maty is a good player but I don’t remember his last “had no right to save that” save. Did make one very good save yesterday in the first half. We have had no breaks in scoring “lucky goals” either though

He's made more than his fair share of 'wow' reflex and double saves, he just ain't the man for an Exocet from 20 yards, inch perfect, into the bottom/top corner.

No prizes for guessing what he's mainly been beaten with, this season.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
He's made more than his fair share of 'wow' reflex and double saves, he just ain't the man for an Exocet from 20 yards, inch perfect, into the bottom/top corner.

No prizes for guessing what he's mainly been beaten with, this season.

Can’t argue, he can’t be blamed for any of the recent goals, frustrating

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Coming round to the 'great keeper,but his distribution is random' school of thought.Seems to like the current system better than last season's.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Perhaps all goalkeeper stats sure remain under wraps until all teams have played Newcastle and us, and we've played each other.

That way we'll get a fairer assessment of which keepers are proper shitehouse.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sing him up

[tweet]1175664329665982464[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thankfully he has been.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Had a good game yesterday. I think he’s back to his best again now. And no, he had no chance with either goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here