Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan - analysis & discussion

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can someone please tell me if Ryan actually saves anything. From about Xmas last year it seems that if the opposition get a half decent chance they score. Can anyone remember when he last had a decent game ?

Surely a goalie must be on the shopping list at Xmas to at least give the guy some competition.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I kind of get what you are saying, he hasn’t had many point saving saves in recent memory BUT he had absolutely no chance with any of today’s goals. They were all top drawer and I doubt any other PL keeper would have saved any of them

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
From the (short) highlights of the last two games...

Ok I can't stop the forum trying to embed youtube videos, and the official Brighton YouTube channel has blocked other sites from using its videos (causing an error). So here are the links

The first is worth 3 points (saved at 1-1 at the end of the game)

youtu.be/05i0_rOQ4c8?t=105
youtu.be/w2NbBvcG6ho?t=101

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Can someone please tell me if Ryan actually saves anything. From about Xmas last year it seems that if the opposition get a half decent chance they score. Can anyone remember when he last had a decent game ?

Surely a goalie must be on the shopping list at Xmas to at least give the guy some competition.

Do you ever see any Bhafc games, pal?
If you did you'd remember the shot that Snodgrass had in the 88th minute against us a couple weeks back.
Clearly not then, delete your account mate, you're embarrassing yourself.

Fran112

Jun 6, 2011
Waterlooville

I’ve been thinking the same for a while.......
It does seem to me that most shots are blocked by Dunk/Duffy and now to an extent Burn.
Of the ones they don’t get 50% no keeper is gonna save.
But of the rest, yes diving Ryan looks good, it’s just the ones that seem close to him always seem to go in.
Maybe over Christmas he’ll bulk up a bit to be a bit wider or try using his legs?
Stockdale was a better shot-stopper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont think that he had any chance of saving any of the goals or could be blamed for them scoring as he was sadly let down by the 3 CBs in front of him.

I hope that this doesnt develop into a thread to push for either Button or Steele to replace him as No 1.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
As an outsider who didnt really see Ryan before this season I've been quite impressed by his calmness and goalkeeping. But I am also fairly certain he won't be in Brighton next season if all goes well with Potter. The style of play demands a keeper that is excellent with his feet and Ryan does not fit in to that category.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I kind of get what you are saying, he hasn’t had many point saving saves in recent memory BUT he had absolutely no chance with any of today’s goals. They were all top drawer and I doubt any other PL keeper would have saved any of them

Yes agreed.

Should have done better with West Ham's but other than that, difficult to criticise him so far.......

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
As an outsider who didnt really see Ryan before this season I've been quite impressed by his calmness and goalkeeping. But I am also fairly certain he won't be in Brighton next season if all goes well with Potter. The style of play demands a keeper that is excellent with his feet and Ryan does not fit in to that category.

Funny though, when he arrived he was quite lauded for his ability with his feet, personally I actually don't think he's as good as Stockdale in that respect.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I dont think that he had any chance of saving any of the goals or could be blamed for them scoring as he was sadly let down by the 3 CBs in front of him.

I hope that this doesnt develop into a thread to push for either Button or Steele to replace him as No 1.
A bigger keeper may have reached the second or third and for the fourth why didn't he come out?!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A bigger keeper may have reached the second or third and for the fourth why didn't he come out?!

So we can blame Ryan being vertically challenged for the defeat? I’d point the finger at the forwards if anyone has to take any blame.

Not that I’m blaming anyone.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So we can blame Ryan being vertically challenged for the defeat? I’d point the finger at the forwards if anyone has to take any blame for that defeat.

Not that I’m blaming anyone.

Beat Burnley and NSC will lose half it's traffic.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I thought he was off his line for at least one if not two of the goals yesterday when he would have been better positioned on it. Quality finishes from City though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was disappointed with what I saw of Ryan on MOTD.

That said, the MOTD highlights only showed Citeh attacks. I listened to the game on the radio and everyone complimented us on our play. From the MOTD highlights they could have been showing one of the poorer Hughton games. They showed one attack by us, and only because it was the one where the city player got injured after trying to foul Webster. We weren't mentioned in the analysis. It was as if there was only one team playing.

I'm not complaining (I'd rather be #undertheradar) but it does mean that it is hard to judge Maty on the basis of what MOTD showed - it was such a partial presentation (in both senses of the word).

Still....I feel some unease...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here