Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan - analysis & discussion

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
For me Matty has never been the same since the Asia cup.

He’s a solid keeper is and perfect for the level Brighton are at. I do think he struggles with the ball at his feet though and if that’s the way we’re going to play for years to come, then a little completion in that position would be healthy.
He's not so great at coming off his line and dominating the 6 year box either.

Just a modest addition......

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He’s a solid keeper is and perfect for the level Brighton are at. I do think he struggles with the ball at his feet though and if that’s the way we’re going to play for years to come, then a little completion in that position would be healthy.

Not sure being asked to play that way comes naturally to any keeper, to be honest. And not to too many defenders either

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Err Sunday prime example, Batshit had no idea he was offside. It may be more highlighted as we don’t score many. I’ve been saying the same we can dominate for 30 minutes the oppo have one chance and score.

Great, you pick one example. A lot of keepers wouldn't have saved that. Look at his stats, last season 38 games, 117 saves and arguably the best save of the premier league season against Southampton.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Great, you pick one example. A lot of keepers wouldn't have saved that. Look at his stats, last season 38 games, 117 saves and arguably the best save of the premier league season against Southampton.

It really isn't worth it, you're arguing with posters prepared to keep this going after a 0Xg game while being led by Dwayne.

It's Matxit. :lolol:

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Not at all. Have you read anyone’s comments?

This has been an observation going back years. Guy doesn’t save enough. Any shot on target nearly always a goal.

Great bloke but he is not signed for life. Like any part of the team, if it’s an area that can be improved the club will do it. We were linked to a few keepers in recent windows, suggesting that is the case.

Yes, I have read all of the comments moaning that he didn't save the penalty or the offside shot.

No problem with people wanting to upgrade but after yesterdays game where he didn't face a non-penalty shot, the timing is bizarre.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, I have read all of the comments moaning that he didn't save the penalty or the offside shot.

No problem with people wanting to upgrade but after yesterdays game where he didn't face a non-penalty shot, the timing is bizarre.

Equally bizarre is the fact that everyone agrees the club doesn't already have a player to replace him.
While knowing it's impossible to replace him for 3 months.

Yet here we are all living in Dwayne's Fantasy Forum.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Some very detailed analysis for anyone interested. Could be interpreted as Maty being somewhat around or slightly above average amongst other EPL keepers - ie pretty good, and at least at our current overall level. FWIW I would n't see many keepers keeping out Batshit's shot yesterday, was hit very hard.

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/d...n-the-premier-league-data-analysis-statistics

On whoscored.com, his overall rating last season was 23/37 - this season he's currently rated 19/24 so on that basis has dipped.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
No truck with Maty at all, he's been terrific, but I agree with anyone saying we should consider the overall Goalkeeping situation

For two years, Hughton and Potter had Steele as third choice behind Button …. and Button is a back up at best at PL level. On that basis I’m not at all confident that if Ryan was out through injury suspension, self isolation, Asia cup etc we could bring someone in of the same or similar quality.

Our direct competitor teams have more experienced and probably better understudy’s than we have, eg Dubravka, Hennesey, Heaton, Gunn, Randolph have played lots of recent PL games and in most cases international experience

The question then is do we need to recruit and a lot depends on Walton’s injury prognosis, Sanchez development and what they see from Steele in training. Though the fact that Steele is 2nd choice and he was behind Button is a worry.

Oh and it’s obvious logic and near universally recognised that if a player has genuine competition for his place then he’s likely to fight harder to continually improve his game

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
No it’s one example why can’t we have a discussion about players without people taking it personally it’s just an opinion. I would say he an average PL keeper nothing that special. Not great at commanding the area and comes out far to quick on one on ones for my liking. Again don’t take it personally we all have different views.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gotta wonder if most, very nearly all, posters think Ryan is an average at best Premier League keeper, what the f**k is this thread about?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No it’s one example why can’t we have a discussion about players without people taking it personally it’s just an opinion. I would say he an average PL keeper nothing that special. Not great at commanding the area and comes out far to quick on one on ones for my liking. Again don’t take it personally we all have different views.

Because I was answering some idiot that implied that nearly every goal bound shot is goal which is quite clearly not the case, ie 117 saves in 38 games and 54 goals conceded (the same as Chelsea and, apart from one, the lowest by any team in the bottom 10).

Maty Ryan is not the world's greatest ever keeper but he ain't bad. De Gae, Lloris, Pickford, even the two Brazilians make mistakes.

Seems some on here seem to think we should have the perfect keeper but the fact is, he doesn't exist.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Gotta wonder if most, very nearly all, posters think Ryan is an average at best Premier League keeper, what the f**k is this thread about?

He's at least 'average' - in an 'average' (at best currently) PL team isn't he ?.................. so arguably in the right place. I'm sure when we're ready/needing to upgrade something will be done but at the moment he's 'at his level' as someone might have said. I don't think he's the reason for our leakage so far this term.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

You do realise how touchy and ratty you sound about any non ecstatic observations about Ryan don’t you?

I am, and have been, very happy to have him as our keeper. He has had some great games and some bang average games, as you’d expect. HOWEVER, I am still waiting for him to make a worldie or even very difficult save this season. Of course he couldn’t yesterday as it was a penalty and keepers can’t be expected to save them, but this thread is not just about yesterday is it?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Because I was answering some idiot that implied that nearly every goal bound shot is goal which is quite clearly not the case, ie 117 saves in 38 games and 54 goals conceded (the same as Chelsea and, apart from one, the lowest by any team in the bottom 10).

Maty Ryan is not the world's greatest ever keeper but he ain't bad. De Gae, Lloris, Pickford, even the two Brazilians make mistakes.

Seems some on here seem to think we should have the perfect keeper but the fact is, he doesn't exist.
True, like the look of the Villa keeper though that was a good signing. Forth season in he should of been a target for us as will probably give them a few extra points this season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You do realise how touchy and ratty you sound about any non ecstatic observations about Ryan don’t you?
I will realise that when you realise just how stupid you come across as every time you accuse me of being this blind Uber fan and I reply with words to the effect of:-

'he's good enough for now, but will need to be replaced for a top 10 EPL Albion side, the stated aim of the club'.

I must have written that reply at least 10 times.

If those words are ecstatic praise you received an even colder upbringing than even I did.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I will realise that when you realise just how stupid you come across as every time you accuse me of being this blind Uber fan and I reply with words to the effect of:-

'he's good enough for now, but will need to be replaced for a top 10 EPL Albion side, the stated aim of the club'.

I must have written that reply at least 10 times.

If those words are ecstatic praise you received an even colder upbringing than even I did.

Ratty and plain rude now. I’ll leave you to it

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
True, like the look of the Villa keeper though that was a good signing. Forth season in he should of been a target for us as will probably give them a few extra points this season.

Martinez is good and probably owes where he is now to Maupay's nudge on Leno. However, left Arsenal because he wasn't going to be the No.2 so he isn't going to come here with the possibility of doing the same.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Martinez is good and probably owes where he is now to Maupay's nudge on Leno. However, left Arsenal because he wasn't going to be the No.2 so he isn't going to come here with the possibility of doing the same.
and neither would Ryan stay with the possibility of being #2.

Nor would the club want him too as that'll be a awful lot of money sat on the bench, every single week.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who would buy him?

Everton :lol:

Just because many of us don't think he has top 10 Premier League value, doesn't mean he has none.

There's an awful lot of football out there and he's not exactly Sussex Born & Bred.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here