Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan - analysis & discussion

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Can anyone remember the shot from inside the box saved this season ?

6b446e4bfc456b3d997a5e1708915f64.jpg

Elipsis

Sep 14, 2019
Good to see GP send out the message the Ryan is not un-droppable. Have felt that he has been distinctly ordinary over the last couple of seasons and it's hard to recall many point winning performances/saves over that time (other than his save at Southampton).

Sent from my 5039D_EEA using Tapatalk

I don’t think Ryan has been in great form but still surprised

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I thought Sanchez played well, seemed nervous at first (and who can blame him) but grew in to the game.

Didn't have a chance with either goal, though he did brilliantly to stop the potential Veltman OG & his distribution was excellent. Not quite sure I'd want him to be first choice going forward yet but I think he's done enough today to leapfrog Steele & Walton (if/when he returns from injury) and put himself in to 2nd posistion in the goalkeeper rankings.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well that will give Ryan something to thing about, regardless of what some on this thread think, a keeper needs competition just like every other position on the pitch. Big balls GP, we are in good hands :thumbsup:

Gonna be interesting to see who GP goes with on Friday.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Ryan’s form has not been good for Over a season now , seems to me He just does not make enough saves or dominates the penalty area ,
Definitely not as good as when he first started with us

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I think Ryan gets bullied quite a bit in this standard of football. Not that he is no bottle, but his size does count against him in trying to dominate his area. As time has gone on there seems to be a reluctance to go for crosses and compete with attackers in the air. His shot-stopping was always his forte but to me his confidence appears low this looks to have affected his form. It’s good that he now appears to have some genuine competition that Potter is prepared to use, rather than us keep producing these goalies with potential who never seem to get a real game.

The Albion

Apr 15, 2019
Been very busy with the ball at his feed today. Looks very comfortable and has played some beautiful passes.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Not really tested today, distribution was good but whilst he did deal with their corners he was far from convincing, and it's clear that teams see his height and build as a potential weak link for us. He's a good player but he isn't the sort of keeper that inspires confidence

Still not sure why Sanchez was dropped, although I knew he would be.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Without him that would have been the fullest most predictable game ever

All hail Maty Ryan.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's odd I thought this thread appeared after every game?

I thought Maty played well today.
No worldie's to concede.
No bizarre deflections.

A couple of regulation stops.
A couple of decent claims.
Some nice clearances.

Nothing too spectacular but:-

The team with a £5m keeper got 3 points.
The team with a £20m keeper got 0 points.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
That's odd I thought this thread appeared after every game?

I thought Maty played well today.
No worldie's to concede.
No bizarre deflections.

A couple of regulation stops.
A couple of decent claims.
Some nice clearances.

Nothing too spectacular but:-

The team with a £5m keeper got 3 points.
The team with a £20m keeper got 0 points.

I liked his unusual clearance when he also collided with the post. Showed a determination to keep the ball out whatever.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I liked his unusual clearance when he also collided with the post. Showed a determination to keep the ball out whatever.

A month ago he'd have tw@tted the ball into the post, straight back into his own face 'heading' it into the top corner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here