Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan - analysis & discussion

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I said on the match thread, I don't think Ryan is very good at getting down to low skimmers.

Watch the replay, he looks like he should get to the ball but pulls his hands away at the last moment.

You can't just live off routine saves at this level, almost every other keeper in the league regularly pulls off a worldie.

I'm sure if you google it, you'll find every keeper who's ever existed has been beaten by shots in the very bottom corner of the goal.

United pay De Gea a fortune and he's prone to mistakes, Spurs the same with Lloris. If our strikers were scoring more goals then you wouldn't be worrying about this.

lovelyboy

Nov 17, 2005
The positives; he’s good with the ball at his feet

The negatives; he’s a keeper who doesn’t make saves

I’m struggling to think of a worse first team keeper in the league to be honest. In fact most prem sides have a better keeper on their bench than Matty. Our worst player by a distance

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis

I’m struggling to think of a worse first team keeper in the league to be honest. In fact most prem sides have a better keeper on their bench than Matty. Our worst player by a distance

Harsh.
I'd rather have Maty Ryan than Pickford or Ramsdale, not too sure about being better than too many others though.

He's very good with his feet and distribution.

Going off at a bit of a tangent, it's made me realise that I think Pickford is probably the last keeper I would choose out of all the Premier League keepers.
I've been very impressed with Johnstone the West Brom keeper.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
De Gea's form at Man Utd appears to have picked up. Come January, They will have a decision to make because Henderson won't be happy warning the bench and playing occasional cup games and Romero won't be prepared to be third choice.

If they let Henderson go on loan, Romero would likely to be happy as No.2 to De Gea. If they let Romero go, then they'll want to keep Henderson as back up.

I'd like to think we might be in a position to take advantage of that because either a loan for Henderson or getting Romero for not much would be sound business.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I’ll bite.

Pickford (England’s first choice BTW)

lovelyboy

Nov 17, 2005
Harsh.
I'd rather have Maty Ryan than Pickford or Ramsdale, not too sure about being better than too many others though.

He's very good with his feet and distribution.

Going off at a bit of a tangent, it's made me realise that I think Pickford is probably the last keeper I would choose out of all the Premier League keepers.
I've been very impressed with Johnstone the West Brom keeper.

Pickford’s an interesting shout. Makes some clangers but also makes some saves Maty would never make. I just don’t understand his technique, he’s a small keeper who crouches and makes himself smaller when trying to save anything! Look at the amount of goals we concede with shots above Ryan’s waist level, it’s astonishing! And we haven’t even got into his inability to command his box. Hopefully as another poster says we can get one of the Utd back up keepers in Jan

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I do think he is our weak link, but at the same time he is still very important to the team because of his ability to play the sweeper role. The defence clearly don't have much confidence in him to come for balls into the box or to command his area, but they do know he is always going to be in the right place for a safe option if they need it when the ball's in play. There's no point bringing in Henderson on loan only for us to end up in the same situation again in the summer. Keepers that are as good with the ball at their feet as Maty is but have that commanding presence as well are pretty much non-existent. Allison and Ederson are literally the only two 'complete' keepers around IMO. Having a keeper like Martinez, Pope or Dubravka, who are old-school shot-stoppers that command their box but don't play the sweeper role effectively, would totally undermine the system we play.

So it's best our scouts get out to Brazil I think :moo: There's no point in replacing him until we find someone that can do both, and that guy will take some time to find.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Maty Ryan - analysis & discussion

I do agree Matt is good with his feet, but he doesn’t save enough. It’s as simple as that.

He’s a cracking pro, probably a good influence in the dressing room, but at the business end it feels that never every shot on target is going in. That’s not sustainable at elite level.

I think the club know this hence the various keeper moves we appeared to be making in the last window.

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
Aren’t we top of the XG against? As in - we’ve conceded the least goal scoring opportunities in the league, and yet we’ve conceded 16 goals,

This means we aren’t saving shots we should be.

I’m a massive maty fan for his distribution, but saving shots on target is more important.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Aren’t we top of the XG against? As in - we’ve conceded the least goal scoring opportunities in the league, and yet we’ve conceded 16 goals,

This means we aren’t saving shots we should be.

I’m a massive maty fan for his distribution, but saving shots on target is more important.

The set piece problem is the issue and very nearly cost us again today. The issue is either Ryan can’t command to box from them or Potter doesn’t have the ability to train it out of us. I suspect a bit of both.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Probably the nail in the coffin for him. Got a kick in the butt when he got benched against Spurs but what he's shown after that wasnt enough. Sanchez will play for the rest of the year and a couple of games in January and depending on how he does he will either remain the first option or compete with some experienced signing (ie Sergio Romero). Ryan is probably done.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Having a keeper like Martinez, Pope or Dubravka, who are old-school shot-stoppers that command their box but don't play the sweeper role effectively, would totally undermine the system we play.

Amazing! So stopping the ball going into the back of the net on most occasions when there is a shot on target is no longer a priority ................ okey doke, whatever! Thankfully Sanchez appears to be able to play without bouncing the ball up to the edge of the penalty area and booting it as far as possible!

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Probably the nail in the coffin for him. Got a kick in the butt when he got benched against Spurs but what he's shown after that wasnt enough. Sanchez will play for the rest of the year and a couple of games in January and depending on how he does he will either remain the first option or compete with some experienced signing (ie Sergio Romero). Ryan is probably done.

Well that's a change of tune considering yesterday you said you doubted Ryan would be dropped at Fulham.

Now, with the benefit of hindsight, it's the perfect decision from Potter and "Ryan is probably done". :mad:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Well that's a change of tune considering yesterday you said you doubted Ryan would be dropped at Fulham.

Now, with the benefit of hindsight, it's the perfect decision from Potter and "Ryan is probably done". :mad:

cracking U turn. I wonder if Swansman is related to Boris Johnson. :mad::laugh:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I didnt say I didnt want it to happen, just that I didnt think it would happen. But it did and I'm happy about it.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Ryan is not necessarily done here. I see a manager being sensible and taking a player out who is suffering a major dip in form/confidence and that is the one position on he pitch where you cannot allow the player to play themselves back into form.
Ryan will need to train hard now and be ready to win his spot back, if he does that then the team benefits, if he throws a strop then he’s no great loss is he.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
3 1/2 years isn't a bad stint as a number 1 keeper in the PL and Ryan has been a great player for us and a credit to the club.

But the Age of Sanchez is almost upon us and I think Ryan will be off in January.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here