Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan - analysis & discussion

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That'll send a great message to Sanchez and Walton ......................

"If you want the place you need to be as good as this one".

In the unlikely event Ryan is going to A-League, the moon or somewhere else, Sergio Romero would be a great replacement.

96 caps for Argentina and always great when he plays for Manchester. 33 years old and a perfect player to have for 1,5 years while Sanchez is at loan somewhere. Walton is 25 and should probably be sold somewhere.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

In the unlikely event Ryan is going to A-League, the moon or somewhere else, Sergio Romero would be a great replacement.

96 caps for Argentina and always great when he plays for Manchester. 33 years old and a perfect player to have for 1,5 years while Sanchez is at loan somewhere. Walton is 25 and should probably be sold somewhere.
You may be right about Walton - but it really doesn't seem a good idea to push Sanchez down the pecking order, IMHO; I don't think he needs a further loan spell either - and certainly not for one and a half years!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I have no idea whether we should be looking to replace Ryan or not.
I'll leave that up to the management.

The only thing I will say, is that I can't think of a single goal conceded because of a Ryan clanger.
Whilst conceding that the stat regarding the number of goals, scored against him, from distance, did surprise me.
Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
You may be right about Walton - but it really doesn't seem a good idea to push Sanchez down the pecking order, IMHO; I don't think he needs a further loan spell either - and certainly not for one and a half years!

Walton is nowhere near the first team in my opinion. If (and it's a big if) Ryan is being replaced, it won't be for a 33 year old winding down his career. The links with Martinez and Henderson make sense in terms of standard but Ryan is still easily good enough to be our no. 1.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I'm perfectly happy with Ryan, he has not less us down at all in my opinion, but I would be surprised if he is our No1 next season. Nothing more than a hunch, and generally no smoke without fire and all that.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Yup, agree with all of that.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm perfectly happy with Ryan, he has not less us down at all in my opinion, but I would be surprised if he is our No1 next season. Nothing more than a hunch, and generally no smoke without fire and all that.

Maty's main strength is his reliability. Doesn't let the squirm under his body, doesn't spill into an oncoming striker, doesn't come to the penalty spot for a cross and miss it, doesn't try and dribble round someone. In his entire time here you can count the cock ups one one hand.

Reliability is something you only notice once it isn't there

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I felt he should have stopped Jota's goal today. Possibly put off by Ben White sliding across but the TV shot from behind the goal shows him going down late

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I felt he should have stopped Jota's goal today. Possibly put off by Ben White sliding across but the TV shot from behind the goal shows him going down late
The rest of the Negative Nerys have boarded the Maupay Moped (with sidecar), if you hurry you might still be able to catch them. :lol:

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
I like Ryan and I believe he’s a positive influence in the dressing room however:
He is 2nd bottom of save table
Bottom of save % table
Potter lives on stats and this is why it think Ryan is on his way out

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The ball went into the side netting, you don't save those.

But you wouldn't say it was struck with massive venom.

If he's on his line he'd have had time to get there.

Maty is very solid and isn't dropping howlers, but again, 3 shots and 3 goals today (2 thankfully disallowed).

I anticipate activity in January

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
But you wouldn't say it was struck with massive venom.

If he's on his line he'd have had time to get there.

Maty is very solid and isn't dropping howlers, but again, 3 shots and 3 goals today (2 thankfully disallowed).

I anticipate activity in January

It doesn't matter that much about how hard the ball was hit when it is placed so perfectly. Solly March's goal last week wasn't struck with massive venom but was also unsaveable.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It doesn't matter that much about how hard the ball was hit when it is placed so perfectly. Solly March's goal last week wasn't struck with massive venom but was also unsaveable.

Jota's shot wasn't unsaveable. Again, It would have been a very good save, but had he been a few steps back, he'd have found it loads easier. I've not got it in for Maty, Nothing he is doing is catastrophically bad, I just want to see him make more saves than he currently does. A lower half side needs an occasional man of the match performance from the keeper, and we haven't had that for a long while.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Jota's shot wasn't unsaveable. Again, It would have been a very good save, but had he been a few steps back, he'd have found it loads easier. I've not got it in for Maty, Nothing he is doing is catastrophically bad, I just want to see him make more saves than he currently does. A lower half side needs an occasional man of the match performance from the keeper, and we haven't had that for a long while.

I think you make fair comments and I’m a big Ryan fan. I’m always a little unsure (with slow mo making it look easier etc) whether he should save more. Often left unsure.

Ha I was just about to say I like the reliability post in this thread a while ago, looked up the poster, and it was also you...!

I think Ryan needs some serious competition, not necessarily dropping / replacing.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I said on the match thread, I don't think Ryan is very good at getting down to low skimmers.

Watch the replay, he looks like he should get to the ball but pulls his hands away at the last moment.

You can't just live off routine saves at this level, almost every other keeper in the league regularly pulls off a worldie.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

If he was on his line, he wouldn't be a very good goalkeeper. Goalkeepers don't stand on their lines.

Jota had an unrestricted shot at goal from 14 yards (he could have chose either side of the goal to place his shot) and he put it in the side netting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here