Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Stephens

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He kept going and - to be fair - no worse than Shelvey.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Very very good in the 2nd half.

I’m not allowed to use the words that describe his complete and utter shit show in the 1st half. ****ing awful.

Started playing some nice diagonal balls in second half ..including the one out to Bruno in the lead up to our goal.....first half he crap but then I can’t think of a an outfield player that wasnt

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
He was one of the top players today

Kayal and Gross were terrible in first half but Pascal was much better in second

Dale was even better in second half.

Also helped when Andone and Izzy were subbed. More movement for mid field to hit passed

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk

Stank the place out as usual, immobile and slow witted. Hughton really has lowered our expectations given the praise he gets

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I do find it fickle of fans, and bloody hilarious, how they can change their views on 45 mins. He showed himself in the second half today, something he can't be accused of for about 25 games this season, makes him no better than he was('nt).

Most people with a footballing brain rate him, and have maintained as such. There's only a few dunces knocking around.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Excellent second half. For me the only midfielder we need to retain for next season. Bissouma has potential but we need fast quality to add alongside Stephens as a holding player

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Was guilty on a number of occasions (including the goal) of not closing down the player in possession but he was tidier with the ball this week.

Our midfield dictate the rhythm of the game and neither Stephens or Propper move the ball at any pace or drive forward with the ball which slows down our attacks. Central midfield for me is one of the key areas where we need to spend the money this summer if we want to improve as a side at this level (if we stay up of course)

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
This.

Thought he was one of the better ones today, even in the first half.

It can’t be easy playing with Kayal who appears to have zero discipline in terms of team shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% agree. He has been one of our better players this season but too many of our fans for some reason can't see what he brings to the team.
Pathetic how those with a vendetta against him can't even admit he played well 2nd half.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
100% agree. He has been one of our better players this season but too many of our fans for some reason can't see what he brings to the team.
Pathetic how those with a vendetta against him can't even admit he played well 2nd half.

Didn’t watch motd either which highlighted some of the best passes of the game coming from Stephens boot. Once you’ve got the blinkers on though, I guess it’s hard to take them off.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Was guilty on a number of occasions (including the goal) of not closing down the player in possession but he was tidier with the ball this week.

)

You don't believe in team shape then?

The issue with the goal was the positioning of Kayal (who was dreadful), and ultimately IMO the goal was down to him. Stephens looks over his shoulder, trying to ensure no-one is behind him, Kayal is 15 yards at least away when he needs to be ten yards closer. When Perez eventually scores, Kayal is ball-watching on the edge of the area, when he should he in the exact area from where the ball is struck.

Should Stephens have stepped forward, probably yes, but not immediately as you are suggesting, both Andone and Gross should have been tighter. Stephens movements were dictated by the above (again IMO).

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
After the cardiff game my brother in law pointed out that often when Stephens has the ball, at the moment, other players are going hiding.

Yesterday in the 1st half he had the ball halfway between our box and the centre circle, only gross was looking at him and there was a man on him, si he played it back to Duffy and cue boos and moans from the stand.

Second half he had the ball in a similar position and murray, gross, march were all looking and showing for him, cue a superb ball.

Its a team game!

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Am pleased that others are coming out to support our best midfielder who is constantly spoken well of by commentators.

Sick of having to argue with punters at Amex re Dale

Am also big fan of Ashley Barnes, another boo boy favourite!!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
After the cardiff game my brother in law pointed out that often when Stephens has the ball, at the moment, other players are going hiding.

Yesterday in the 1st half he had the ball halfway between our box and the centre circle, only gross was looking at him and there was a man on him, si he played it back to Duffy and cue boos and moans from the stand.

Second half he had the ball in a similar position and murray, gross, march were all looking and showing for him, cue a superb ball.

Its a team game!

Spot on.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

The issue with the goal was the positioning of Kayal (who was dreadful), and ultimately IMO the goal was down to him. Stephens looks over his shoulder, trying to ensure no-one is behind him, Kayal is 15 yards at least away when he needs to be ten yards closer. When Perez eventually scores, Kayal is ball-watching on the edge of the area, when he should he in the exact area from where the ball is struck.

Should Stephens have stepped forward, probably yes, but not immediately as you are suggesting, both Andone and Gross should have been tighter. Stephens movements were dictated by the above (again IMO).

Yes I do believe in team shape but within that you have to press the ball in dangerous areas. Regardless of what shape the team is playing when an opposition player is heading into a dangerous area I expect our players to press him and stop the cross not back off and give him the freedom of the park to pick out his team mate with no pressure on the ball. Kayal is equally at fault but Stephens as the midfielder has to press that ball and stop the cross.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Have to agree. If anyone was perplexed why Kayal hasn’t featured more - watch the first half back. Not that he was on his own in that regard, Izquierdo also doing his best to render a short lived attempt at 4-4-2 utterly shambolic. Only player I felt sorry for was Andone, the most fortunate was Izquierdo being allowed to keep his kit on at HT. You’re looking at Bissouma, March & Knocky 2nd half scratching your head how that wasn’t the starting XI

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes I do believe in team shape but within that you have to press the ball in dangerous areas. Regardless of what shape the team is playing when an opposition player is heading into a dangerous area I expect our players to press him and stop the cross not back off and give him the freedom of the park to pick out his team mate with no pressure on the ball. Kayal is equally at fault but Stephens as the midfielder has to press that ball and stop the cross.

No, you keep your shape, because if he had pressed, because of Kayal's positioning a different situation was likely to occur, as the player to Stephens immediate left runs in to the hole he has vacated - watch the goal back. The ball needed to be pressured but Andone needed to be harrying that player or even Gross, (but that would have left Richie free), to level the blame at Stephens is wrong IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here