Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Huge game and a huge test for Hughton Saturday

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hughton didn't even look at him when Andone was subbed; not even an acknowledgement of a job well done. Yes, Andone did get a bit lucky to avoid the second yellow but he was certainly putting in a shift and was the only pace we had in an otherwise paceless team.

Ali J got a big cuddle from Hughton when he came off (despite being a clueless embarrassment in every game to date although he was a bit better last night).

There is something not right...............

I saw it as Andone avoiding CH rather than the other way around :shrug:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I simply don't agree that we have deteriorated. We haven't progressed as much as the 1st half of the season suggested, but I don't believe we are any worse. One-off hammerings really don't make sense to use as a yardstick in my opinion. If so, then the Amex hammerings last season at the hands of Chelsea, Liverpool have not been repeated so we must have improved? Burnley wasn't a hammering - Wolves hammered us much more during Saturday's game and we drew.
We haven’t scored for seven games :shrug: No other manager would survive a bounce was needed long ago. Hughton quote every team has quality players that can hurt us, shame we haven’t got any that can hurt the opposition. I’m angry because I fully believe we shouldn’t have got in this position in the first place. All the winnable games have passed us by and we are now left in the shit. Fulham was a wake up yet we never woke up probably deserve to go down in all honesty. Now we have to rely on Colin to slip up which is a dangerous game as he always does us over somehow, if they win at Fulham we need a prayer.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
We haven’t scored for seven games :shrug: No other manager would survive a bounce was needed long ago. Hughton quote every team has quality players that can hurt us, shame we haven’t got any that can hurt the opposition. I’m angry because I fully believe we shouldn’t have got in this position in the first place. All the winnable games have passed us by and we are now left in the shit. Fulham was a wake up yet we never woke up probably deserve to go down in all honesty. Now we have to rely on Colin to slip up which is a dangerous game as he always does us over somehow, if they win at Fulham we need a prayer.

In theory Colin needs us to slip up ...working on the no easy games theory

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
A huge game, we’ll yes it is. So we’re the Southampton, Bournemouth, and Cardiff games. That horse has bolted. CH has been a legend for us. Whatever the result on a Saturday his time has come to an end. He can’t take us any further. I voted out after the Wolves game. I didn’t feel good doing it.

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
He gets the selection wrong most games guess your happy with that though. The team last night should of played against Cardiff, Bissoma and Andone probably would of ruined them it’s a joke. Why play Bong at Wolves when Bernardo is clearly a much better player it’ doesn’t make sense.

Andone started a game recently at home and was toilet so you don't know in hindsight what would of happened. We got a clean sheet at Wolves so correct selection.

Stop panicking and get behind the lads whoever is picked.

Have the inquest in the summer

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Warnock’s teams go for it when they can leaving themselves exposed, a much braver tactic than CH’s “let’s not concede first” mentality. We’ll find out who has got it right over the next three games. I certainly can’t call it but it’ll be interesting and I imagine more fun for Cardiff fans than us.

Stress levels are high but by jove it’s interesting. Who needs end of season mid table obscurity :smile:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I'm sorry!? are you saying we had less than 0% possession??
Wow that is bad.

Yeah on sky the stats coming up for final 3rd possession. Over a 15 min period it was indeed 0% . ( generally over the night we were about 7%) Hence why Murray introduced.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I would not be surprised if Cardiff get something at Fulham maybe a point.I think we are going to have to beat Newcastle.I just can’t see us getting any other points whereas Cardiff have some hope in all their games.

It will be another bus parking number at the Emirates...... Though I hope somebody speaks to Andone as we were miles better with him on the pitch and he was rightly subbed as his wrecklessness was close to a red. My guess is he was subbed not for tactical reasons but to prevent him getting sent off and suspended.

He got himself subbed, he needs to stay on the pitch as we carried much more threat with him. So cut out the silly fouls.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
A huge game, we’ll yes it is. So we’re the Southampton, Bournemouth, and Cardiff games. That horse has bolted. CH has been a legend for us. Whatever the result on a Saturday his time has come to an end. He can’t take us any further. I voted out after the Wolves game, and didn’t feel good doing it.

CH has patently not been given the tools to do the job. Unless he's been given 100% veto over the Summer signings, he's been badly let down by the recruitment department. Unless we can clear these wasters out somehow, any new manager will have to deal with the exact same lack of quality. As PL newboys, we've patently been naive and been suckered by agents who will be limbering up to offload their shoddy goods again this summer.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I get the sentiment, but think we are blinding ourselves a little because of how well we appeared to be doing in the first half of the season. Winning games for us in the PL tend to come when we play teams who are either in a rut themselves or simply have an off-day. Teams that beat us (who we might think we have a chance against) likewise. We have had our worst run of the season (or the last 2 seasons) - Saturday I expect to be much like every other game we play. If we play well we will win IF the opposition makes some cock-ups or genearlly has an off day. If not we will battle to a draw. If we don't play well, we have every chance of losing. So I get the sentiment given the context of August to January results/points tally, just not the anger. It was the same last season for me..

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Andone started a game recently at home and was toilet so you don't know in hindsight what would of happened. We got a clean sheet at Wolves so correct selection.

Not panicking at all, feel more for TB really parting with millions for shit players, he looked like he had the world on his shoulders last night it will hurt him more than anyone if we go down.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I saw it as Andone avoiding CH rather than the other way around :shrug:

You saw it right (imo.) He was clearly irritated at being taken off. Alireza, I suspect, was laughing about the shot that hit the inside of the post and spun away that immediately preceded his substitution.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
CH has patently not been given the tools to do the job. Unless he's been given 100% veto over the Summer signings, he's been badly let down by the recruitment department. Unless we can clear these wasters out somehow, any new manager will have to deal with the exact same lack of quality. As PL newboys, we've patently been naive and been suckered by agents who will be limbering up to offload their shoddy goods again this summer.

Like I said, it wasn’t easy voting him out. I’m not sure how much of this negative football I can take. Seems to have got the players back the last couple of games, we’ll at least battling a bit harder.
I posted a thread, I think it was after the Bournemouth game. “Will we score another goal this season” it got lost that night as NSC went into meltdown. But it’s still a question I’m asking.
I’ve supported The Albion for years like most on here, and will continue whatever.
Not sure what the answer is really. Just fancy watching us have a go really.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This will probably sound bad! But I hope Propper is still injured for Saturday.
A bit like the days of old, Lampard and Steve Gerrard not really working together, we just don't play that well as a team with both Propper and Stephens as DM's.
Better at wolves after he came off and better last night.
He's obviously a good player, but he was a 10 in Holland and for the national team, and for us, I don't think him and Stephens works that well together in the role propper has been asked to play.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

It wouldn't surprise me at all if andone leaves this summer, even if we stay in the div.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I remember Marshy, before CH appointment you had similar reservations to me and didn't want him. I to could have written your current signature (below your posts) thinking I also was wrong...... Just wondering if you still think you were wrong or have gone full circle?

I always admit I didn't want him initially, CH certainly was not my first choice but he has proven to be superb and my signature tells all about highly I regard him.

So much so that I don't want CH time with us too end on a sour note.

Am I tired of the defensive tactics... I am certainly beginning to feel a bit that way.

When I look at how teams like our south coast neighbours Soton and Bmuff play I would certainly like something a bit more like that, I realise its only a small shift in approach that's required to make us a very stable mid premier league side.

Can CH do it... I questioned him before and really shouldn't given what he has done for us but I need some convincing still.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I simply don't agree that we have deteriorated. We haven't progressed as much as the 1st half of the season suggested, but I don't believe we are any worse. One-off hammerings really don't make sense to use as a yardstick in my opinion. If so, then the Amex hammerings last season at the hands of Chelsea, Liverpool have not been repeated so we must have improved? Burnley wasn't a hammering - Wolves hammered us much more during Saturday's game and we drew.

Blimey, and I thought I had rose-tinted glasses. No, we've gone backwards and that's compared to last season as well as the first half of this. Yes we conceded five at home last year - but not against the likes of Bournemouth! We haven't scored for seven games; and that's not due to bad luck or anything, it's because we haven't even been able to get into the areas where we could possibly score. And again, we're not just talking about failures against the Top 6.

I think 'deteriorated' is easily the best term.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
I’ve never not enjoyed a season as this can’t wait for it to b over ,always have tossed and turned over the team as they really seem all the same but if I were to pick a team with a chance of scoring let alone winning it’s got to b this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

have to agree its been totally woeful. Even tried to explain this to my non Football loving wife..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here