Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women's Football - Discuss

Truthsayer

Nov 29, 2017
Seeing the BBC website with more stories about the Women's league than I previously noticed. Commentators and story writers seem to get overexcited about things they would usually not be so complimentary about.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Not for me.

Crosses the boundary of dogged physicality in sport that I don't enjoy watching women participate in. Sorry if that's old fashioned.

More power to them if it catches on, but at this moment in time I'd rather spend my time elsewhere.

I used to say the exact opposite for Tennis, back in the days of faster balls and surfaces where heavy servers dominated the male game. Preferred watching the women's game, oddly enough nobody pulled me up on being sexist for that.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Well with other channels paying over the odds to show pretty much all other sport, the BBC has started to become the champion of women's sport. Female participation in sport is at an all time high in the UK. That can only be a good thing I would have thought.

As with anything, it is not compulsory to watch it or read about it.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
BBC trying to be PC compliant and avoid being targeted by the PC brigade? I think there is an opportunity for them to latch on to women’s football and get a deal for live games until it gets more popular when the big boys will squeeze the life out of it.
I don’t watch that much footie on the telly, and that that I do will be men’s - it’s just a better standard at the moment. Who knows how good it will become?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not for me, nor is women’s rugby but each to their own

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I hope the women's game continues to flourish and improve.

Like most people I have a finite amount of time to dedicate to sport, maybe about 12 hours per week (including watching and travelling to the Albion, plus a load of other sports I like) , so far a women's match hasn't been able to force itself into my reckoning, but who knows I may go the Arsenal game on Sunday

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I'm somewhere between agreeing that they have every right to play football, have Premier Leagues and so on, thinking the PC brigade are just pushing it to look good, and the media thinking 'we could make a few quid here'...

It's like asking me if disabled people in Australia should have their own dedicated checkout lane at the supermarket. Errr.. yeah, I suppose - but it'll never affect me, and I don't give a shit....

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I'm glad we aren't in the lower leagues. They have been pushed down the BBCs priorities. They report on games with a few hundred spectators and ignore some big clubs with thousands of passionate fans.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I like women and I like football. Tony Bloom has even offered free tickets to watch women play at the Amex, but I would have been more likely to go if they offered a free pie too. I've caught a few minutes of women's football on tv. They are free to play whatever sport they like, but my word, it was such poor quality. No way would I actually watch a whole women's match. But hey, if it's the BBC, anything women will be prioritised.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I’ve posted before on this. It almost feels like we’re not allowed to not like women’s football if we watch the men’s game.

The problem is that it is just not as good. I just cannot get excited about it and not enough people go and watch it. Crowd attendance is max League 2 level.

It all just feels too forced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I received a letter the other day from the Albion about watching women’s football at the Amex against Arsenal .
Why couldn’t they email and save on paper ?

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I like it. I've seen some women's matches (including England v Finland at the Goldstone sometime in the 1980s) and I enjoyed them in the same way I enjoy non-League games.

And one thing I'll say: yes, given a choice I'd much rather the men won the World Cup as opposed to the women - but I'd rather watch the England women's team win as opposed to the men's team lose. Same goes for Rugby and cricket.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here