Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    I enjoy watching it these days, especially for the big tournaments and the best domestic matches. The standard is unrecognisable from 20 years ago.

Will go and see the Lionesses at the Amex for their last game before the World Cup, and as the family are doing Paris during it we have tickets for a quarter-final while we're there, probably France v USA if it goes to form.
    "There's an African proverb that has stuck with me...if you think you're too small to make a difference, then you've never spent a night with a mosquito"

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Arthritic Toe View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      The goals are too big! No sexist intent here, but its a fact that the average woman is shorter than the average man. I think the game would be improved by scaling the goals in line with these differences.
      Plus quarter sized pitches

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Arthritic Toe View Post
      The goals are too big! No sexist intent here, but its a fact that the average woman is shorter than the average man. I think the game would be improved by scaling the goals in line with these differences.
      On the other hand, women today are as tall as men were 90 years ago. Pretty much, anyway. I saw a list of the squad of Nelson FC in the only year they played in the second division of the Football League - they had a goalkeeper at 6 foot 2, but every other member of the squad (about 30 of them) was 5 foot 9 or less.

(That was the year they became the first, and possibly still the only, team to win away matches at both Real Madrid and Manchester United. The Madrid game was a friendly; Man U was a league game.)

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Fignon's Ponytail View Post
      My wife loves football, & everything that goes with it....but has absolutely no interest in going along to the women's games - & never watches them on TV despite watching every other EPL, La Liga, MLS etc. game she can thats broadcast. She just doesn't find women's football that good, or interesting tbh. She also finds it annoying that all of a sudden every broadcaster feels they have to have a woman pundit...and says it feels as if they are just doing it just for the sake of it, and trying to be PC after all the headlines in the entertainment industry the last couple of years. If they cant grab an ardent female fans interest, what hope do they have in getting it really mainstream?
      Hmm. Do we share the same wife

That really soundslike Mrs Earle!
      I hope you meet someone your height, so you can see eye to eye with someone as small as you!
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Fignon's Ponytail View Post
      My wife loves football, & everything that goes with it....but has absolutely no interest in going along to the women's games - & never watches them on TV despite watching every other EPL, La Liga, MLS etc. game she can thats broadcast. She just doesn't find women's football that good, or interesting tbh. She also finds it annoying that all of a sudden every broadcaster feels they have to have a woman pundit...and says it feels as if they are just doing it just for the sake of it, and trying to be PC after all the headlines in the entertainment industry the last couple of years. If they cant grab an ardent female fans interest, what hope do they have in getting it really mainstream?
      A number of women I know feel exactly the same way. They cannot understand why we have female pundits and commentators for a men's game. It can only be a nod to the lefty equality brigade, there's no other possible reason. Bring back all male pundits and commentators please.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      The prominence and coverage that the Women's "Super" League gets in our media now is ENTIRELY out of wack with the numbers who have enough interest to actually turn up and watch it. The average attendances last season in the WSL dropped from 1,128 the previous year, down to 833.

How on earth those kind of numbers are supposed to support a professional league is baffling. About half the teams in the National League South (the likes of Billericay, Dartford, Slough Town, Wealdstone) and 20 out of 22 teams in the National Legaue North (Alfreton Town, Leamington, Curzon Ashton) average more than that - and I don't see any of them featuring prominently on the front sports webpages of the BBC or the Guardian every day. Neither do they get regular national TV coverage. Nor do their players get invited into a studio at a World Cup or Premier League stadium, or onto Match of the Day, to pass comment on the game.

Womens football and the WSL is just another niche sport, like fencing, or canoeing. Except for some reason, its being hyped to the 9's these days. I'll continue to try to ignore it, but its getting more and more difficult as they continue to spam it onto us with posters, emails etc. I wish I could find an opt-out somehow.
      This.

And if the only reason it's being pushed on TV is because it's women playing and not because the football is particularly good, or even supported, then isn't it a bit of an insult to women?
      Have you seen the Muppet Show........

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
      I'm completely at odds with some of the views on here.

Football grew as a male sport through the 1800s into the 20thCentury when attitudes toward women prevent their participation in the game, or other sports for that matter difficult, frowned up or whatever else.

In order for girls to get into the sport and enjoy it, they need to see inspiration and success, and in turn participation and interest will grow. It is about face, but it is necessary in order to grow this part of the game, and it will be worth it if girls get into the sport in much greater numbers than they do now.

I do say this as a manager of an U15 girls team, and have been involved in girls football for a while, I've met George Parris a few times and what his team are doing over at Lancing, and how the approach of promoting the game will help this side to grow. I also know many of the girls that play will be going on Sunday, and the England Women's international in the summer

It might seem pointless now, but if in a few, or 5 or 10 years there are many more girls playing football, being active and having fun, then it is genuinely a good thing.

It isn't a niche sport for the girls that play. It's still the beautiful game. Great that the media covers it, are we really saying the male game needs anymore coverage, podcasts, column inches, blogs etc. than it already gets that it can't spare a bit of time for the Women's game? Come on, behave.
      Spare a bit of time is one thing, plaster every channel with 'pro' women's football like its something it's not i.e pro football, and purely because its women playing, is disingenuous, forced and not a healthy way for the women's game to grow. It needs to grow organically in two key areas - skill levels and support. No amount of TV is going to improve the skill level or put bums on seats, unless support for the women's game justifies TV coverage, not the other way around. Seems like football fans are being guilt tripped into supporting the women's game, not a good policy. I think women's football is shite, just as I think Div 1 football is shite, which is why I take great pleasure in missing the grotty EFL show, I can't wait to miss it!
      Have you seen the Muppet Show........

0 Not allowed!
      Bigger crowd than I expected today.
      BBC saying around 3000 expected. I assume the west stand is closed for the benefit of the tv cameras?

0 Not allowed!
      Guardian doing MBM on today's game between Brighton and Arsenal:

"This is the first WSL game to be played at the Amex Stadium, and the crowd is in the thousands rather than hundreds."
      "These were, I have to say, quite easily the ugliest people I have ever seen in my life, and I've been to Selhurst Park when Crystal Palace are at home."

Charlie Connelly, 'Attention All Shipping: a Journey round the Shipping Forecast'; published by Abacus Books, 2004, page 94.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by goldstone View Post
      A number of women I know feel exactly the same way. They cannot understand why we have female pundits and commentators for a men's game. It can only be a nod to the lefty equality brigade, there's no other possible reason. Bring back all male pundits and commentators please.
      That would be an argument if there were many decent male pundits around - and there aren't.
      If we lived in a perfect place nobody would vote Tory.