Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] RIP Billy McNeill

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sad to see that the leader of the Lisbon Lions has died - what a player he was. In today's modern era, you won't see many people stay loyal to their club for such a length of time - more than 800 appearances and a host of honours. And then come back to manage them

That day in 1967 still sticks in the memory: everyone thought Inter would walk it but Celtic scared the life out of them.

He really was some player and some leader

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Sad to see that the leader of the Lisbon Lions has died - what a player he was. In today's modern era, you won't see many people stay loyal to their club for such a length of time - more than 800 appearances and a host of honours. And then come back to manage them

That day in 1967 still sticks in the memory: everyone thought Inter would walk it but Celtic scared the life out of them.

He really was some player and some leader

Totally agree, a giant of a man . R.I.P.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
RIP indeed.

That Celtic team he captained was quite simply magnificent; arguably the best I've ever seen (given that it's difficult to compare teams of different eras).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This guy was a proper legend, a black day for Celtic fans.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Who cares - he's Scottish. Oh wait a minute, I do. He comes from a long ago era when English fans were happy to support other British teams against European clubs and other British countries if England weren't available. Sort of like we thought MPs would behave to implement Brexit. But Celtic being European Champions is one of my earliest 'big' football memories along with Everton v Sheffield Wednesday FA Cup final and the World Cup win. It was momentous and memorable and McNeill led them to glory. Never knew he was known as Cesar, but that being the case, RIP Cesar.

Brovion

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 6, 2003
Like other my age (nearly 62) I remember watching the game on TV and cheering on Celtic. Celtic's European Cup win in 1967 is still one of THE greatest club achievements of all time. Not just an all-Scottish team, it was basically a Glasgow XI (I think the goalkeeper came from about 30 miles outside Glasgow). Even the Man U team the following year weren't all from Manchester, and there's even less chance of it happening now of course with multi-national club sides.

RIP Lion

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Like other my age (nearly 62) I remember watching the game on TV and cheering on Celtic. Celtic's European Cup win in 1967 is still one of THE greatest club achievements of all time. Not just an all-Scottish team, it was basically a Glasgow XI (I think the goalkeeper came from about 30 miles outside Glasgow). Even the Man U team the following year weren't all from Manchester, and there's even less chance of it happening now of course with multi-national club sides.

RIP Lion

Quite.

Imagine a Brighton side winning the European Cup, where the furthest away 10 of the players came from was Burgess Hill or Lancing, and with the 11th player - the interloper - coming from Bexhill... :ohmy:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Who cares - he's Scottish. Oh wait a minute, I do. He comes from a long ago era when English fans were happy to support other British teams against European clubs and other British countries if England weren't available. Sort of like we thought MPs would behave to implement Brexit.
I remember those times too - we supported Celtic in the European Cup, and then 2nd. division Cardiff when they had a great run in the Cup Winners Cup. Even Scotland in the 1974 World Cup - but over the years our support of our fellow Brits was worn away by the dog-in-the-manger attitude of the other nations of the UK, particularly the Scots. A.B.E and all that gash.

From memory I thought only 10 of the 11 were Scots. I believe they were also known as The Invincibles, due to them winning all 5 competitions they entered that season. The grand EFL Championshipesque trophy shown here is actually just the Glasgow Cup!
celtic.jpg

Last edited:

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
RIP to a legend

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Who cares - he's Scottish. Oh wait a minute, I do. He comes from a long ago era when English fans were happy to support other British teams against European clubs and other British countries if England weren't available. Sort of like we thought MPs would behave to implement Brexit. But Celtic being European Champions is one of my earliest 'big' football memories along with Everton v Sheffield Wednesday FA Cup final and the World Cup win. It was momentous and memorable and McNeill led them to glory. Never knew he was known as Cesar, but that being the case, RIP Cesar.

Brilliant save, there.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I remember those times too - we supported Celtic in the European Cup, and then 2nd. division Cardiff when they had a great run in the Cup Winners Cup. Even Scotland in the 1974 World Cup - but over the years our support of our fellow Brits was worn away by the dog-in-the-manger attitude of the other nations of the UK, particularly the Scots. A.B.E and all that gash.

This. And at the 66 WCF, all the England fans were waving union flags. Innocent one nation times. Who ****ed that up? I genuinely don't know. Thatcher? No, by 78 (Home Championship, jocks on catnip soaked in whiskey blended with PCP) it was all dead.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
RIP one of the games that sticks out in my memory, whatever happened to grey and white hooped shirts ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here