NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A good idea. I hope it catches on.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
In other news today, local drug pushers have announced they will now be accepting gift vouchers.
Meanwhile, local traders have asked for more police on the beat to stop the many 'homeless' from stealing from them.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Interesting idea.

I had a chat with a lady who was asking for cash outside the Revelator last week. I only had a bank card on me, so suggested (tongue-in-cheek) that she needed a contactless card reader. She pointed out that she'd then need a bank account - it sounded like she'd thought it through! - so these vouchers would be a good way of helping.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the idea is one of those "why hasnt this been done before"? though i wonder if it has been, without the app part (just gifting vouchers).

i was amused by the well meaning student "taking part in a sponsored rough sleep at The Macs Farm in Ditchling". rough sleeping at a campsite is camping isnt it?

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
the idea is one of those "why hasnt this been done before"? though i wonder if it has been, without the app part (just gifting vouchers).

The app is the “idea” though isn’t it?

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In other news today, local drug pushers have announced they will now be accepting gift vouchers

This is good news. My friends and family always struggle for ideas at birthdays and Xmas. I’ll now ask for gak vouchers.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think this is an excellent idea. I do like to try and give money to homeless people, but I am often worried that what I give them may be spent on drink or drugs.
I agree it's an excellent idea, although I will add that some people think you're better off enabling them to buy drink and drugs.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Had to buy some train tickets at the station leading up to Christmas, and on the way out saw a young lad outside by the bike racks sleeping rough. Nipped back to Pret and loaded up a gift card for him to use for food and coffee etc whenever he wanted as it was bitterly cold. Wasn't much in the grand scheme of things, but he seemed genuinely pleased, and I had a good chat with him for a while. Well worth doing if you can.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Christ the comments on that article are depressing.

Some are obviously written tongue in cheek others are just depressing.

On a lighter note, Brighton Pure Blood refers to Brighton becoming "a cesspit of drugs, crime and flying rats", now I'd pay to see flying rats.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Anyone see that Ed Stafford show recently where he lived on the streets for 60 days? Depressing stuff as it affirmed my suspicions re homeless folk and begging.

Some of those he met weren't actually homeless but had been at points in the past, and they knew they could make enough money begging to feed their habits and not need a job. Pretty much all of the others had no shortage of food- they kept being given food by the public and there were organised food distribution projects. All the money they made begging was spent on drink and drugs. In that context I cannot fathom why people think they are doing a good deed giving money to beggars.

I may be a bit cynical- but in that context- in most cases any of these vouchers handed over are going to sold or bartered to fund booze and drugs aren't they? Again- how can this be seen as a good deed?!?

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Had to buy some train tickets at the station leading up to Christmas, and on the way out saw a young lad outside by the bike racks sleeping rough. Nipped back to Pret and loaded up a gift card for him to use for food and coffee etc whenever he wanted as it was bitterly cold. Wasn't much in the grand scheme of things, but he seemed genuinely pleased, and I had a good chat with him for a while. Well worth doing if you can.

Was wandering round London with a spare takeaway a few months back. Gave it to a guy outside Clapham Junction. Thought he might get angry or feel patronised but he loved it and immediately chomped away like Stockdale at a complimentary buffet. Was quality. Think it was really my prejudices that made me hesitant to do it. It's also good to pretend you're not a (unt occasionally, I guess.

Albion my Albion

Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
B&H might publicly pride itself on its tolerance, inclusivity and general right-on-ness, but the Argus Comments Nutters seem to have all crawled out of some kind of primordial swamp. Total weirdos the lot of them.

I'm not from B&H and rarely display any general right-on-ness but the weirdos comment touched me. Thank you so much. I take so much pride in being a weirdo.

BTW, I have regularly made friends with the rough sleepers and have bought them meals, clothing and medicine but I have never given them money directly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here