Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Totenham Hotspur vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
Why the **** did he bring murray on?

I assume it was because Andone was on a yellow and CH didn't want to risk losing him to a second yellow/red for our "PL cup final" next Saturday?

If we're (hopefully) going to eke out a goal against Newcastle then I hope we give ourselves the best chance (IMHO) by starting with Andone. We'll just have to wait until Saturday 16:30 to find out.

I thought the Albion fans were utterly immense tonight with their non-stop vocal support and encouragement. My son and I (both Albion STHs) met my brother and his wife (both Spurs STHs) after the game and they both said how impressed they and their friends were by how much noise we made, non-stop, and that it had been the best away support they'd seen and heard so far at the New WHL.

Although we narrowly lost, I was immensely proud to be a Seagull tonight and that partially compensated for how gutted I felt at FT. If we can replicate that passion next Saturday at the Amex (and now we're down the wire I think we will) then it its going to be a terrific atmosphere. It's going to be a nervy occasion both on the pitch and in the stands!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why only put performances in against top teams which we always lose. Let's try against Newcastle Saturday with the same fight and endeavour rather than the lack lustre shows we seen at home against the bottom 6
If we put a performance in like that at home to a bottom half team, you'd all moan that we sat too deep and were negative. It's not been a lack of effort that's seen things go wrong.

Before our game on Saturday, you can be sure that our players will be at least as up for it as they were today, and against Wolves. But we will also be expecting them to attack more, which will leave more space behind. If Newcastle take the chances they get as other recent visitors have, we'll go behind and heads will drop again. You can then pretend it's because they wanted it more than us, but it won't be.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Stephens saw it coming and turned his back.
No he didn't. He saw Erikson shaping to shoot, so he leaped to get in the way. Human's aren't suddenly a lot smaller when their back is turned.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I said this is another thread a few days ago. I think he's tried the more attacking approach, and had enough of it as our midfield/forwards haven't shown that they're good enough - and so has said 'right, that's enough - back to what we know we're good at'. And we are bloody good at it aren't we.
It's not just the forward players who fail when we're trying to be more attacking, it's our defence who are too slow and not so good when we're out of position.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Why the **** did he bring murray on?

because Murray is still the likeliest player to score. We won zero headers up front while Andone & Locadia were playing yet we punted the ball up in the air to them. No balls down the channels for them to run onto.

I assume the booking was the key issue but I would have preferred Muuray and Andone up front.

I would also have left Bissouma on and brought Kayal on for Gross or Locadia.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Two disappointing moments in the game were Bernardo bursting forward then stopping realising he was well past the halfway line and Kayal running through and not knowing what to do and in his case having a wasteful shot . Its like they did not know what to do in those situations but I bet as kids the ball ended up in the net. Yes I know the opposition was harder yesterday but scoring goals is what football is (should be) about.

el punal

Now that was a courageous and gutsy performance. For the first time in ages I saw our team play as a team. Under the cosh from the first minute I thought “ How long before we concede?”. We battled for everything, it was not pretty, it was survival and we so nearly made it. In the end I was proud of my team that they gave their all and got their pride back.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Now that was a courageous and gutsy performance. For the first time in ages I saw our team play as a team. Under the cosh from the first minute I thought “ How long before we concede?”. We battled for everything, it was not pretty, it was survival and we so nearly made it. In the end I was proud of my team that they gave their all and got their pride back.

That's how I felt. We need to take that momentum into the home game against Newcastle. If we can keep to 'those levels', I think we can take all three points.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Now that was a courageous and gutsy performance. For the first time in ages I saw our team play as a team.
Was it not similar against City in the semi?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
You live in Malta. Pointless discussing with someone like you who can brush off a defeat on tv with ease. Try having a season ticket. You would feel differently.

Winner of the most pathetic response of the thread.

I always thought you were an idiot. Thanks for confirming!

I don't want to bother reading your drivel any more and so have ignored you.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin

We've not seen that type of team effort in the league for a long time. It was a resilient performance and a good strike got them the win. I think this said more about Spurs than it did about us, we forced them into taking speculative shots - it was just unfortunate after 30 odd shots 1 did eventually go in.

Some of our breaks looked dangerous, Jahanbaksh's cross into Andone was brilliant just a shame he couldn't get there in time. I was impressed with Jahanbaksh's work rate last night, more of that please, AliJ.

Indeed it was and alas illustrated the point that 10-man behind the ball defensive performances don’t prepare us well for when we have to take the game to beatable opponents at home

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes, but I was referring to our league performances.
Ok. I think it may have been similar against Wolves, but I didn't see it.

Personally I disagree. Defending en-mass makes us look like a team, but when we're trying to win a home game they're not going to have that same 'unit' look.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Indeed it was and alas illustrated the point that 10-man behind the ball defensive performances don’t prepare us well for when we have to take the game to beatable opponents at home
Yep, I don't think yesterday was preparation. Perhaps, like the fans here, a few players were getting concerned that the odd teammate wasn't fighting hard enough for the cause. The last two away games should at least remind any that were in doubt that they are all in this together, and they are going to fight 'til the end. And if there were a couple that weren't fighting, hopefully they'll see what it means to their teammates, and lift their game.

I'm 100% sure the team will be putting in the effort on Saturday, but if the game doesn't go our way, I expect some on here to be saying they didn't.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yep, I don't think yesterday was preparation. Perhaps, like the fans here, a few players were getting concerned that the odd teammate wasn't fighting hard enough for the cause. The last two away games should at least remind any that were in doubt that they are all in this together, and they are going to fight 'til the end. And if there were a couple that weren't fighting, hopefully they'll see what it means to their teammates, and lift their game.

I'm 100% sure the team will be putting in the effort on Saturday, but if the game doesn't go our way, I expect some on here to be saying they didn't.

My fear is that heads will drop if we go behind, as long as it’s 0-0 we’ll fight for everything. We have come from behind to win in one game in the Premier League in nearly two seasons, now I fear we can’t even come from behind for a draw. The confidence is completely gone on that front.

el punal

Ok. I think it may have been similar against Wolves, but I didn't see it.

Personally I disagree. Defending en-mass makes us look like a team, but when we're trying to win a home game they're not going to have that same 'unit' look.

I sincerely hope that we don’t adopt that approach at home, but for last night, against a superior side, and, bearing in mind our recent defensive travails, that was a stirring backs to the wall performance. If nothing else it would have done wonders for the team’s bruised and battered morale.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We don’t play football anymore two half arsed attempts on goal. Only positive for me was Andone and Yves, Hughton then takes of the little pace we had. We then break twice with no hope because ****ing useless Murray was on the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here